Lantus Insulin - best place to get it?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mayo377, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Mayo377

Mayo377 New Member

Hello! It’s getting close to that time where I need to get more Lantus and I’m wondering where you get yours and what the most cost effective way to go about it is. I’ve only had to buy insulin once so far, and I got it from Marks Marina Pharmacy in Canada. I got the vial but Im considering doing the pens next time. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The pens are the better buy. For one thing, if you drop a pen, it doesn't usually break, leaving you with an expensive puddle on the floor. Each pen only holds 300 units so you can most likely use every drop before it starts to lose efficacy and the other 4 pens remain good until at least the expiration date (usually at least 2 years away) so 1 box of 5 can last a cat up to 2 years (depending on dose of course)

You still use the same syringes to pull the insulin out of the pen instead of the special pen needles. You're just using the pen like it was a "mini-vial". Take the cap off, there's a rubber stopper just like a vial! Insert syringe and pull out your dose and you're ready to give the injection!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Mayo377

Mayo377 New Member

That’s very helpful, thank you! Do you get yours at Marks Marina and if so how much are the pens?

4. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

If you are in Canada you can get them at Costco a pack of 5 vials for around $98. I called all the pharmacies in town and Costco had it the cheapest.

5. Mayo377

Mayo377 New Member

Whoa!!! Unfortunately I live in the United States. I wonder if they’d ship, however. That’s an incredible deal.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, Mark's is fantastic. A 5 pack is $190 (including shipping) so that's 1500 units @ .13 cents per unit

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Mayo377

Mayo377 New Member

That’s definitely doable. Thanks!

8. Scdal

Scdal Member

I get my vials at CVS. The cost is $99. Tell them to apply the manufacturers discount. You don't need a special coupon or app for this. They just apply the discount at the register.

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I second getting the Lantus Solostar Pens