Low numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bennie Valites, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Please look at my spreadsheet tell me why she goes up and down on her numbers. I started using 1.5 units is that right with the numbers? I asked yesterday what number do i need to worry about that is a low number. I kind of understand what i read but what is a low number that i need to take action on. Also what do i need to do on a low number other then then give her honey or sent a post to get help. I have seen on other spreadsheets that had low low numbers and it looked like it was ok.

2. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

4/6/21 Cats name Cinnamon. Started reading more trying to learn. What does 50 mg means i know that it means milligrams how does that match with the numbers on the meter? (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

4. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Thanks for all your help, i have starting reading guidelines i wish i had done it earlier.

5. tiffmaxee

That’s okay. Better late than never. And keep asking questions. I’ll keep showing you what to read if you want.

6. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Thanks i will need your help. I have read so much today my head is spinning. 4/6 Cinnamon AMPS### and add the ? Prefix. ### means the time of the readings. What does add the ? Prefix mean.

7. tiffmaxee

It would look like this 4/6 Cinnamon PMPS 269 Question about low numbers. Then let’s say you test in two hours . You would add +2 and the bg.

Are you able to get a +2 ever? That will help you tell if the cycle will be active. It’s like a crystal ball for many cats because that is when Lantus usually kicks in, onsets. If it’s lower than the AMPS/PMPS you will likely need to monitor later. If higher probably not.

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome to the LB&L forum!

You're in good hands with Elise! She's a pro at all this stuff :)

I'm at the end of my day, but just wanted to stop by and say hello and welcome to you and your Cinnamon - I started to write Cinabun...such a cute kitty!

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A little housekeeping request. Due to the large number of cats on this forum, we request that you start just one post per day. I makes it easier for us to help you. If you have a new question for the day, just add it to the same post, and you can change the subject time for the new question.
    POSTING GUIDELINES PLEASE READ

Regarding the low numbers question, with SLGS you earn a dose reduction if they go below 90. Below 50 is danger zone and when you feed higher carb food and post if you want help. We don't want her below that.

10. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Yes i can get a +2 i am home all day,what every it takes to keep me from losing Cinnamon. I have a doctor visit to day so i can not get a +2 but i will take a reading when i do get home. I can not believe before i joined the vet would check Cinnamon every 3 weeks and told me to give her 7 unit twice a day what a change. Thanks again i am glad i found you and thanks that if i do not understand you will help me do understand. Please look at Cinnamon spreadsheet and why does it change so much? I do not understand how much to give her the right amount of insulin. I started at 7 units which the vet told me to give her, but when i joined we started to give 2 units and went down to 1.5 units how do determine the right amount. Thanks

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Once you have a chance to read the posting guidelines that Wendy shared with you, you’ll see that we ask kindly for you to post a new thread each day...

So if you could please post a new one today and please set your title to say DATE/KITTY NAME/AMPS #

Then ask your questions... there are a lot of people here who will help and support you along the way for this journey...

Looking forward to your new post for today.

Thank you!

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  12. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I hope you'll post a daily thread for Cinnamon so we can all help you. I know all of the information is very overwhelming at first. Take your time and read through it. But the more you post and ask questions, the better we will be able to help you help your adorable girl.

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  13. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Thanks is Elise also Tiffmaxee?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  14. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

All right thanks for your help.

15. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

I am back what a day yesterday was. I will check at +2 today. You told about +2 i understand that but what about the other times, some one check pmps +7 what times to i need check and why. With the readings i have now with Cinnamon on the spreadsheet what dictates the amount of insulin i give. I started with 4 then 2 and now 1.5 i guess what the meter reading is relates the amount how insulin i give her. Thanks again.

16. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

I am back what a day yesterday was. I will check at +2 today. You told about +2 i understand that but what about the other times, some one check pmps +7 what times to i need check and why. With the readings i have now with Cinnamon on the spreadsheet what dictates the amount of insulin i give. I started with 4 then 2 and now 1.5 i guess what the meter reading is relates the amount how insulin i give her. Thanks again.

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yes. Elise is the name of the woman whose username/screenname is tiffmaxee (for her cats Tiffany and Max).

18. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Cinnamon! You will get lots of help here. The amount of insulin that will be recommended for Cinnamon will be based off of the nadirs (the lowest blood glucose reading that you get in a day). Since you are home, you should be able to test quite a bit and that will help you get a very good idea of what is happening with Cinnamon over the course of the day (or evening).

19. tiffmaxee

With SLGS you do a curve every 7 days testing every 2 hours for a cycle. I don’t know why you decreased to 1.5. A reduction is earned by falling under 90 with SLGS. But do a curve and then we decide if you increase. Do you have syringes with half unit markings? If not I would get some as we increase and decrease in .25 increments.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  20. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Trying to figure out the stuff that was sent to me so i do not have any thing to post, but tell me what i should post each day.

21. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Yes i have syringes that have half unit markings. The dose of 1.5 units was recommended by some one on site. I have asked before about Cinnamon and her numbers verses what i should shot, with her numbers now what should i shot. I will start a curve Fri. I appreciate your help i might ask again on some of the information you gave me, i am getting help from other people just trying to keep up with the information. Thanks a lot.