Lysine useful for feline herpes eye problem?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mogwaibond, Dec 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mogwaibond

mogwaibond New Member

Hello! I see a lot of people recommending Lysine supplements for feline herpes (in our case, manifested as bad eye problem -- which is being treated). Would love any feedback on this. Thank you.

2. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

There apparently are studies that show lysine doesn't do anything--

however, in my experience at home and when I was with the rescue, it does seem to help. I use the human lysine powder because it's a lot cheaper. About 1/4 tsp twice daily.

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have found it works. When I adopted MurrFee he had weepy eyes. I first used eye antibiotic and it cleared it up but the weeping reappeared when I stopped. After two routs of antibiotics I tried L-Lysine and that clear up the eyes. I give L-Lysine to all my cats.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’ve found the same as above. We never will know if it just went away or the lysine worked but I ne Er found it hurts.

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I did read a study showing that it was ineffective in shelter cats, though I believe overcrowding/stress exacerbates the problem so I suppose in a home setting results may be better.
    I was using Now Pets L-Lysine Powder for my kitten which didn't help but after running a PCR Resp IDEXX Panel we discovered she didn't have herpes at all (she had 3 other viruses but not herpes) so that's something to keep in mind in case an actual panel hasn't been run to confirm the virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.