Mango: bouncing and leaving for vacation

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ilse - M - T - P, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Ilse - M - T - P

Ilse - M - T - P Member

Hi all,

Mango is getting lower numbers once in a while, at preshots and mid cycle. He is a bit all over the place at the moment.
    Today his AMPS was 290, so I gave him his full dose (2.75u prozinc) and at +5 he was 54. I retested, and the number was correct.
    He ate, threw up, ate again and tested him at +5.5 and he was at 62. So all good

My question is, I am leaving for a long weekend tomorrow morning.
    My petsitter just learnt how to test (yay!) and comes AM and PM to feed and give insulin etc...
    Since they will be home alone, and no mid cycle tests will be done. Should I reduce his amount of insulin to 2units for these 3 days to make sure he doesn't drop too low?
    She will reduce the insulin when below 200 (she will call every AM and PM to discuss amount of insulin, but I want to avoid that he goes too low mid cycle, even if his preshot numbers were high enough to shoot full dose as he was today.

Any thoughts?

thanks
    Ilse

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Are you following a dosing protocol? If you're not following MPM then he earned a reduction today with that 54, putting his dose at 2.5u

It is recommended to lower the dose while away, kitties often don't eat as well when a stranger is feeding them. Not sure if @Deb & Wink or @JanetNJ have a dose recommendation.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Ilse - M - T - P

Ilse - M - T - P Member

I am not following a specific plan.
    I will reduce to 2units for the upcoming days while I am out of town and then go up to 2.5. Unless his preshot tests are below 200 of course, then will do a lower dose again

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I was going to say to reduce the dose to no more than 2.25U for Mango while you are away. Going down to 2U for a couple of days is safer.

Since your pet sitter may not get the same cooperation from Mango as you do for the testing, a lower dose is safer.
    Because your pet sitter will not be there during the cycle to monitor, better to have the BG levels be a bit higher than usual for a few cycles, than too low.

Panic likes this.
  5. Ilse - M - T - P

Ilse - M - T - P Member

I agree to be a bit higher.
    It's just this number that threw everything off. Normally he is well above 100 at +6

He is very mellow and he knows his pet sitter very well, so he will cooperate. He was her test case last week :)
    Cookie on the other hand is not so patient :) plus it will be the first time for him that I am leaving for a couple of days. Filling syringes with 1 drop of insulin for humans we speak

Deb & Wink likes this.