Maury - Month 5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Yong & Maury GA, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is officially starting month 5
    But TODAY!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAURY!!!
    upload_2017-5-8_13-46-26.png

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Dezi & Sylvester

Dezi & Sylvester New Member

Happy Birthday handsome boy!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Maury!! :D

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Happy birthday, Maury!!!

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Maury!!!!!

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Maury!!!!!!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Thank you all for the birthday wishes :bighug:

8. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

He looks so pleased with himself. I love his fluffy mane!

9. Yong & Maury GA

While I'm gone, I decided to put Cat TV on for Maury after seeing this trial :cat::joyful:

10. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I hope Maury had a great birthday!

11. Yong & Maury GA

Pre-diabetes and before his last lion cut that has not fully grown back:
    upload_2017-5-9_21-12-27.png

Lois and Java likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Magnificent!

13. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Hulu has a cat channel. Is that what you turned on? I turned it on one time for Frank, but it's like cats and sunshine, and I think Frank was like b*$@h please, what is this garbage that you think I'm going to watch? If there was a channel of world destruction, I think he'd probably like that better. :woot:

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  14. Yong & Maury GA

Found it on YouTube. Have like 8-9 hour videos :smuggrin:. He does that for the first few minutes whenever I put it on. When I come home he's asleep on the sofa, if he hasn't gotten up to greet me.

Kris & Teasel and Frank's Mom like this.
  15. Djamila

:D Nice Job last night, Maury! :D

16. Yong & Maury GA

I am heading out but just saw your message :). I was a little worried because it was at +3 but figured he was OK cos he was getting his MC lunch after the test. I set an alarm for +5.5 but when I woke up and he was curled up in his bed on my bed, I gave him some scratches and said you're good. lol. I was exhausted ;)

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  17. Djamila

Lol! That sounds like you still got closer to a middle of the night test than I get!

18. Yong & Maury GA

And we have a bounce. Probably should've dropped to 1.5U this morning but hopefully he won't stay on the trampoline long. We were doing so good :)

19. Djamila

So this is just another one of my theories....but I think we could have been pretty sure he was going to be high today after that beautiful green last night, so I think you actually could have gone with the regular shot this morning and this evening and been fine. That being said, since you had a lower AMPS and weren't going to be home, I think lowering the dose was the safer decision. My theory that you could have given the regular dose would NOT have been a good idea to try out without monitoring! (You know that, I'm just making it clear for anyone in the future who stumbles upon this thread!) I'm curious if you hold that 2u dose a bit longer if those greens might not start to show up more often?

I

20. Yong & Maury GA

He was kind of hyper when I got home today too, so have to wonder if the number was slightly stressed. When I was getting ready for his PMPS he was a little feisty so I thought maybe he was closer to where he was for AMPS but NO lol. But as you said, I really wanted to give S2.0U again but I wasn't going to be home until a few minutes before PMPS, so went safer. Since it was a bounce, I've learned my lesson, I didn't do a big increase. Just went to a fat from AM dose. He seems to do better when moving it that tiny bit on a bounce number :) (antijinx). Now that I've typed it here, he's going to change :facepalm: (antijinx). Should be home more over the weekend so planning on doing 2.0U, numbers permitting :D

(Antijinx) side note: His front paws seem to be more on the toes, more progress :smuggrin:

ALL THE ANITJINXING!!!

21. Djamila

LOL! It does seem to work that way, doesn't? As soon as we think we've figured out how a cat is going to respond, they change their patterns!

Sue used to say that it's a dance, and only the kitty can hear the music. That has always been my favorite metaphor for all of this.

22. Yong & Maury GA

In addition to that secret forum they all talk to each other on, that apparently we can't find or read either :smuggrin:

Sharon14 and Djamila like this.
  23. Djamila

Tonight's theme seems to be: numbers our owners aren't expecting to see!

Blair & Freya likes this.
  24. Yong & Maury GA

I'll take Bouncy numbers for 1000, Alex :p

Blair & Freya and Djamila like this.
  25. Yong & Maury GA

Hate curves lol. AT2 gave me a red PS, barely! Couldn't it just have given me 399 instead? :p

26. Djamila

Considering meter variation, you could enter it as 399 if it makes you feel better! :cool:

27. Yong & Maury GA

Come on AM cycles :confused:

Blair & Freya likes this.
  28. Yong & Maury GA

Didn't get to post this yesterday: 15 May 1994 - 24 December 2008
    Happy Birthday my GA boy cat_wings>o. I'm sorry you didn't get to meet Maury.
    upload_2017-5-16_8-50-31.png

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Lois and Java and Kris & Teasel like this.
  29. Djamila

I'm so sorry you've had to say good-bye to one of your fur babies! What was his name?

30. Yong & Maury GA

Peaman, he died to cancer 24 December 2008 at 14 1/2 years , the day I was to pick up Maury. I had hoped to let them meet each other so he could tell Maury what a good life he would have :cat:

31. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

Oh no, that's such sad timing. He was very cute though, and probably would've had a lot of good things to tell Maury! I also love his name.

32. Yong & Maury GA

Was the first time I moved out of my parents house and out of state. I obviously have a thing for the Maine Coon tabby mixes :smuggrin:.

33. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He was so handsome! Happy birthday to your sweet GA.

34. Yong & Maury GA

So it's in my notes but figured I'd post here. I "tickled" Maury's hind paw last night and it used to make him spread his toes before diagnosis. For a while, I occasionally did it to see if he was getting more feeling back but no luck. Last night, his toes spread! :joyful:

On a dosing note, go figure as soon as I talk about increasing him again, this happens :facepalm:. No shot tonight. Going to try to give LC for his lunch instead of his MC carb. Wondering if the MC lunches are impacting him now with better numbers. :bookworm:

35. Djamila

WHAT?!?!? How....?!?!?

36. Yong & Maury GA

Not 100% sure! o_O:confused: Only thing I can attribute is I was having a very lethargic day, passed out on the sofa, way past his lunch time so he did not get his lunch. Just his normal breakfast with his YAZ.

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Holy....what the heck??? That's an insane number!

38. Yong & Maury GA

lol

39. Djamila

By the way -- that is so awesome about his paws reacting! What great news!!!

40. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

That's crazy. :eek: I didn't even think that was possible, hahah.

41. Djamila

Geez, that F2.0 is making him all kinds of bouncy, huh? Awhile back you said that he's very sensitive to dose changes, and he's sure proving that. Hopefully a few steady cycles will settle him back down!

I wonder if the u100's or some calipers would help, since it seems like even a drop of two of difference matters for Maury?

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  42. Yong & Maury GA

Only with this 1.75 - 2.25U range lol. After today, with me missing his lunch may have played a bigger part. So if I starve him, he will have low numbers :p just kidding of course!
    Giving him LC lunch last night didn't change much, which makes me and him happy that he can still have his "MC" lunches :D

Rachel likes this.
  43. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's glad his still gets his special lunches!!!

44. Yong & Maury GA

We're creeping the dose back up. If he has similar PMPS tonight, we'll have a frown curve instead of smile curve :(. Will probably start 2.25U again tomorrow morning since I won't be home til probably his +6 tonight.

45. Djamila

No, sweet Maury! No frowny cycles! Smile!!! :):):)

46. Yong & Maury GA

47. Djamila

Yowza!

48. Kris & Teasel

49. Yong & Maury GA

And he bounced earlier than I expected but he hasn't seen nice green in over a week. Holding the dose :)

50. Djamila

I guess the silver lining is that you know he'll be safe tonight? ;)

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  51. Yong & Maury GA

Forget the exact last time I weighed Maury but finally put new batteries in the scale. 12.8 -13lbs :D

52. Yong & Maury GA

Don't have a heart attack ladies! :nailbiting: It's an experiment. I'm here with him :)

Blair & Freya and Frank's Mom like this.
  53. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Holy moly

54. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

55. Kris & Teasel

:eek::)

56. Yong & Maury GA

No no, it's fine! I don't need another one lol. Oddly enough, he's higher at this point than the other night after NS. I'm hoping it will help prevent an AMPS >350 (anti-jinx)

57. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ill say! I'm on my iPhone so don't have access to the BOS. Looks like he's all ready on the rise. A real testimony on knowing thy cat.

Hope you're right and tonight's dose keeps him from getting on the trampoline. I'll be anxious to see how he looks tomorrow AM.

Good job!

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm DYING to see how he's doing this morning! Yes, definitely a testimony to knowing thy cat. :)

59. Yong & Maury GA

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  60. Yong & Maury GA

Ugh... 48 is not the before bed test one wants >_<

61. Djamila

I do not understand how Maury has such consistent AMPS's and such utterly unpredictable evening cycles!

62. Yong & Maury GA

Sometimes I feel the only thing consistent about him is being inconsistent lol

Djamila likes this.
  63. Djamila

Are you at +3? Would you like some :coffee::coffee::coffee:?

64. Yong & Maury GA

Gave him lunch after the 48. Retested 20m later and was 53. Gave 1T of MC gravy and am retesting in about 8 mins.

65. Yong & Maury GA

Pulled out the HC gravy lovers because I'm trying not to fall asleep :smuggrin:. Might not update til the morning, don't worry about us though. I won't let anything happen to my boy [​IMG]

Kris & Teasel, Sharon14 and Djamila like this.
  66. Djamila

sleep well!

67. Yong & Maury GA

Thank you, I'm going to bed now. Last test was 75. Gave him another couple licks of HC FF and 1T of YA. I think his nadir has moved to +4 ish. Will try to confirm tomorrow.

68. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

What a rollercoaster! :eek:

69. Yong & Maury GA

I was so tired last night, of course when he does this! Woke up feeling :blackeye:, took care of him and went back for a cat nap. Maury joined me :cat:. ON THE BRIGHT SIDE! We didn't get a terrible bounce! :woot: and I'm ok if he's running a little flat today.

70. Djamila

The SF doses are back!!! Those crack me up. Although totally appropriate considering how he reacts to even the slightest change! Hopefully you feel better with some rest!

71. Kris & Teasel

Love those SF doses! :D

72. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Those SF doses crack me up too!

73. Yong & Maury GA

Maury's personal dose :cat:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  74. Yong & Maury GA

Ok Maury, time to get those AM cycles working.
    Ran to the store shortly after his PM dose, got home and came downstairs only to smell urine. He peed on the floor :(:arghh:. On a positive side it's not as dark as it was when he did it before diagnosis, nor as sticky (not full of sugar). He also did the butt scoot after using the facilities after eating. So I have to wonder if this action tonight and his day cycles are telling me a Vet visit is in order. I would expect both cycles to be wonky if he was getting a UTI. Not looking forward to contacting the Vet because they'll probably ask about his diabetes. I still have not thought of a polite way to say "I don't want your dosing advice" :smuggrin:

@StephG maybe you can chime in. I forget if Chuck showed you any signs or if it's because you happened to do that urinalysis test strip just in time. I don't know if I can afford them yet. Maury needs more test strips soon and people on E-bay sucked up all the 100-ct I was buying for ~$25 :(. They would be cheaper than a Vet visit and less stressful but if they confirm my suspicion, I'll still have to take him in :facepalm:. Looking forward to your insight ladies!:D

75. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck really didn't show many symptoms. He did pee more often with smaller amounts. He want eating all of his food at once. He started to do this again but I'm thinking it's from better numbers. His numbers were not good but he was on prozinc then.
    Maybe you can get your vet to do a urinalysis for you if you can get a sample to take in? The scooting is something my civvie does when he gets a UTI or crystals. Usually right after going pee.
    I've been told he on the forum that the strips aren't reliable. My vet uses them so as the first line of defense I test if I think something is going on then discuss with the vet.
    As for the FD progress and their input you could tell them you forgot the spreadsheet at home. Or just show them the spreadsheet and maybe they'll realize you know what you're doing and get on board.

76. Kris & Teasel

When Teasel had bladder issues, he'd pee small amounts of often blood-tinged, mucus-y urine in the bathtub, outside the litter box and in other inappropriate areas. He did a lot of bum licking and would get very vocal, wanting my attention. Only rarely were his episodes associated with an actual UTI. They were mostly "sterile cystitis" and I (fingers crossed!) haven't had any more of these to deal with since his FD diagnosis and addition of water to every wet food meal. His were likely stress-related too and he gets so much attention from me now with shots and testing that it seems to have satisfied his emotional needs. He's always been an attention hog.

77. Yong & Maury GA

My GA boy was the only one to have UTI and ended up having a perineal urethrostomy but he had obvious symptoms. I wouldn't want Maury to have to have that so I'm trying to be proactive about it :). I was thinking of showing the my SS, wait to be scorned for his unofficially regulated numbers, and kindly explain through all of the craziness of his numbers I know my cat and I have a support group of highly experienced people with their own sugar babies using the same insulin, still including Kris and Steph :D.

He has done the butt scoot if a "present" gets caught on his "starfish" [​IMG] but last night, since he had poo'd I checked and no sign. I don't think he's been cleaning his bum more than usual but I will keep an eye out for that. Re-reading about symptoms now. Did notice a few tiny pee cakes a couple days ago (of course it wasn't a tiny puddle for his "accident"). Either way, sounds like you both agree I should probably have him checked. Thank you :)

Rachel and Stressedcatmom like this.
  78. Kris & Teasel

:):p:D:joyful::smuggrin::woot:!!! Yes, you should think about having him checked, vet and SS aside, because this is something that can become serious.

79. Yong & Maury GA

We have appointment for 09:20 tomorrow. Now just hoping the car ride doesn't make hims BG sky rocket :blackeye:

80. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Getting it checked will, if nothing else, make you feel better! We've had plenty of issues like this in my house (sadly) so I know what it's like! Let us know how things go tomorrow!

81. Yong & Maury GA

Hope things turn around for you, Rachel! Of course I will update you guys :)

82. Kris & Teasel

Good luck!

83. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I was so impressed with how HANDSOME !!! Maury was in his Birthday picture. Buddy weighs 13lbs and today he took 5.4u of Prozinc, Maury weighs around the same but a lot of difference in dose. Hope things went well at the vet and Maury has no problems.

84. Yong & Maury GA

Maury weighed in at 13.2lbs so the Vet was happy he hadn't lost any weight. Glad to see his neuropathy improving but still noticed his hind legs lower than a normal kitty, which I told her I was aware of but since he developed it back to front, it's probably going to reverse front to back like he's shown. Tried to convince me my human glucometer wasn't a great idea because of the variation. Urinalysis came back clear, US on his bladder showed no crystals. She wanted to give him Covenia antibiotic shot and wasn't thrilled when I said I would prefer him not to have that. Said she can't guarantee nothing is starting and to keep an eye on him, might just be behaviour issue which I also took into consideration. She gladly wrote him a Rx for Lantus and probably can't wait to tell me "I told you so" if he does better on it :arghh:. She would prefer his nadir around 150. Kind of ignored me when I asked her if she heard of Lantus protocols :rolleyes:. I'll just be keeping an eye on him as usual but glad I had him checked.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  85. Kris & Teasel

You stood your ground, Yong! :)

86. Yong & Maury GA

I shouldn't be given a guilt trip for doing it though :confused:. So no antibiotics, she was only willing to do the Covenia shot. Oh yeah, with her blank face after my comment she said she'd NEVER had a cat react badly to Covenia. Didn't answer when I asked her if it was for preventative so I'd rather not give him antibiotics for no reason. If something develops then she'll probably give Clavamox or Amoxicilan.

At least you guys have my back :joyful::bighug:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Blair & Freya and Kris & Teasel like this.
  87. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow. "Your cat has no infection, so HERE...have some antibiotic!!!" :banghead:

When are you starting the Lantus? If she says I told you so...kick her! Just kidding :joyful:

88. Yong & Maury GA

RIGHT?!?! That's why I refused because if he should need them, there's a chance they won't work as well when he actually needs them. If I start Lantus, it won't be til July? I think? lol

Don't encourage me :p.

After what Caitlin is going through, I don't know if I want to tackle finding a new Vet :( but it would be so nice to have a doctor (human or pet) on my side for once .

89. Teresa & Buddy

I have never had any problems with Covenia and I have used it many times, but I would rather have an AB site specific or organ specific. I have a feral cat and Covenia has been a life safer many times because I cannot pill her. Glad that good looking man is doing alright.

90. Yong & Maury GA

Thanks for you insight, Teresa. Like I said the other reason I said no was because there was no sign of infection or crystals. Hopefully it was just behaviour, and a short lived behaviour! :p

Djamila likes this.
  91. Kris & Teasel

Has Maury ever had bouts of cystitis before with no evidence of infection or crystals? These bouts can be stress-related inflammatory responses. Teasel was plagued with those pre-FD.

92. Yong & Maury GA

To be honest, Kris, I wouldn't know if he has or not. Reading about some symptoms associated with bladder inflammation and I'm leaning towards no. I'm going to try cleaning his boxes twice a day to see if that makes him happier :)

Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  93. Djamila

My space is so small that the kitties get the litter box cleaned pretty much any time I'm home and they use it. Cats are stinky! Sounds like an interesting interaction with the vet with her not responding to some of your questions. I think you made her nervous ;). She wants his nadir around 150, as opposed to what?

94. Teresa & Buddy

You were right to say no since there was no sign of infection or crystals. The last time I took Buddy to see his vet, he related to me that most people have a really hard time giving a cat a pill, so most want a shot (convenia). I told him there was no problems with Buddy taking a pill, so he gave Buddy pills the last time. I hope it is short lived behaviour for Maury.

95. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

Freya had Convenia once with no apparent issues. However, I wasn't actually aware of what the shot was until after it was given. The vet hadn't even confirmed any infection anywhere. :facepalm: I was pretty upset afterwards. I'd brought her in because I thought she might have some sort of bladder or urinary issues, and she's had bladder stones removed in the past. The vet was just like, "eh, probably infection" and gave her the shot. Ugh.

96. Yong & Maury GA

That's why I took Maury in so I wanted to be proactive and get confirmation :)

97. Yong & Maury GA

I think as opposed to 80s or 90s here on human meter. Given the 150 is probably AT2. I still think it would be better for a nadir around 100 on AT2, not the higher end of normal BG.

98. Djamila

So maybe aiming for 120 on the human meter? (the higher end of what we call the healthy range?). I wonder if we aimed a little higher for the bouncy kitties if it would help at all? And then as the overall numbers come down, maybe start nudging it down a bit at that point? Might be something to consider: if you called a "good" cycle one with a nadir around 120 instead of trying to hit green, if it would make any difference in getting more consistent numbers?

Although looking at Maury's numbers, I'm not sure that would make much difference since it seems like he's around that mid100's to mid-200's range at nadir anyway....except for when he suddenly drops - and I don't think there's much you can do about that. Except maybe set up a playdate with Timmy and Susan!

99. Kris & Teasel

My vet gave me a range for good BG of 5 to 9 on an AT meter - translates to about 90 to 160 in US units.

100. Kris & Teasel

I have a hard time pinpointing when Teasel's nadir is most of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.