? Max 7/26 - AMPS 113 decided to shoot. +121, +124, +3 84. Feed MC to ward off hypo or wait & test +4?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rebecca & Max (GA), Jul 26, 2020.

1. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

Last post 7/23

Trying to shoot low to stay low. Max is clearing a bounce I believe (no real nadir since PMPS). I want to get used to shooting low, so I decided to go for it today as I can monitor. My question is posted in the title - do I feed him now (he's back to sleep after waking him for the +3) or wait and retest at +4 then feed MC if he's dipped too low...which he probably will be.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think I would give a little mc and test in an hour.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd go ahead and give him a teaspoon or 2 of his regular food....see if that's enough to encourage him to surf instead of dropping too much

Test again at +4

4. Rebecca & Max (GA)

@tiffmaxee and @Chris & China (GA) Thank you! I split the difference with his food! I had about 1/2 tsp FF gravy (mainly chunks) and a few tsp of his regular Weruva and mixed them. He was quite happy to wake up and eat. I will re-test at +4 though! The only nice thing is he's been pretty mellow with ear sticks today (Max? Tolerate ear sticks??) :eek::D
    He must like surfing!:cool:

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Yo Max!! This is how it's done!! Hang 10 buddy!!
    surfing cat cartoon (Mobile).png

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  6. Rebecca & Max (GA)

He's now at 63! should I let him hang 10 or offer a bit more food so he doesn't wipeout? :p

7. Chris & China (GA)

A bit more food is fine

8. tiffmaxee

It’s all trial and error, lol.

9. Rebecca & Max (GA)

OMG, it totally is. Will I ever feel like I've got this??
    I kind of almost feel like a meme that came out regarding COVID when it first hit...something along the lines of 'you can go outside, only if it's safe to go outside. Not everyone will get the virus, but some might...'
    I'm still trying to figure out what he's telling me, and I don't speak 'cat" very well. 2U was too much. Now, 1.75U is too much - I think. So he's back down to 1.5U which didn't do enough before!
    It's like 'Max might need 1.75U until he doesn't...He might do well on 1.5U but then he might not.' :banghead::confused:

10. tiffmaxee

I don’t want to offend anyone but honestly, nobody knows for sure what these cats will do. I don’t care how experienced they are. Cats just aren’t as predictable as we would like. Why should they be when it comes to diabetes? Sometimes it’s our gut telling us what to do. Sometimes it’s past experience. Right now he’s looking good. My reasoning for suggesting mc earlier was to try and prevent him from going too low by guiding the cycle with food. I’ve had success with some suggesting that, by getting them used to higher green or even blue before trying to get them used to normal numbers. Does it always work? No. But sometimes it does. I just suggested that with Gideon. Let’s see what happens. If it doesn’t work she can try something else. My Max bounced hIs first year and couldn’t hold reductions. I wasn’t aggressive enough due to my mom being sick at the time. Life’s sometimes gets in the way and sometimes helps. With Covid and many having to stay home they can test more and be more aggressive. The lucky ones go into remission quickly. For many it’s a marathon rather than a race. Hang in there. At the very least you will gain experience and not get as frustrated. I can relate.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  11. Rebecca & Max (GA)

I totally understand the MC food, which is what my gut said to try (and why I posted). I figured if I could help stall his BG a little it might help, and it looks like it did- at least this time. I gave his ears an hour off after a second tiny snack with mixed MC & LC and tested him at +6. He was at 85! This is the most testing I have done with ear sticks (the Libre sensor was dang easy) in one cycle (I think). I’m sure had I done an earlier test on the 24th, I probably would have caught his drop before he hit so low. It seems like a very delicate dance. Food reactions, insulin, their own bodies, stress, no stress...all play a part in the choreography of feline diabetes. Thanks for always being here for us! :kiss: