Merlin-Hypo? or Borderline? What to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wendy 17 and Merlin, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Reason for edit: added link to ProZinc
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Feed. Now. A couple of teaspoons of wet high carb food (with plenty of the gravy).

If you haven't got any HC wet food please let me know immediately if you have wet medium carb and also please confirm that you have honey/karo.

Mogs

3. Wendy 17 and Merlin

I have the HC wet food and honey. Did not feed him since I posted half an hour ago (he did not want food at that time since he had eaten a lot an hour ago).
    Just checked BS again @ 4h. It is 57 now. He is eating FF Gourmet Classics Pate right now. He doesn't need hi carbs now since BS went up, right?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

He's over the 50 now so the low carb is fine, Wendy. Test him again in 30 minutes to make sure he's staying up. Feed/test, rinse 'n' repeat to make sure he stays up (also see below).

For future reference, if that happens again rub some honey on the gums and test in 20-30 minutes to make sure Merlin's back in the safe range. Note that honey wears off very quickly so you'll need to keep giving honey/testing in 30 mins till he's back in safe numbers. Keep trying to offer food a couple of teaspoons at a time because it keeps numbers up for longer. Test 30 mins after each mini feed, rinse/repeat. If at a safe number, don't feed, test in 30 minutes. If still at a safe number, test again in 30 minutes. Keep doing that till Merlin has stayed in safe numbers without any food or honey for two hours.

Mogs

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Is all OK with you two now, Wendy?

Mogs

6. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Thanks for the follow-up, Mogs.

How do I link the 2 threads that I posted on Main and ProZinc?
    How do I put text below Merlin's photo?

BS shot up to 204 at +5:15h.

What does Merlin's SS pattern mean? I appreciate evaluation of the SS and input on what to do from here.
    How can one get a safe, shallow curve instead of Merlin's sharp nadirs that go close to or into hypoglycemic?
    Is 260 my "skip shot" number? Or reduce to 0.15 U as I just did?

Reading up on the STICKIES (they are great! Thank you ALL for the dedication and hard work in putting them together), I realized that I can use the different sections of the black rubber plunger and see how far above or below some other markings they need to go to measure the tiny amounts I need (0.1, 0.15, 0.2 units).

7. Critter Mom

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for letting us know that Merlin's back in safe numbers. That 204 might be a bounce after the earlier 49.

Here's the URL for the start of this thread:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/merlin-hypo-or-borderline-what-to-do.237995/

You can copy it from here and paste it into a post on your thread on the Prozinc board.

Not used Prozinc so can't comment on dosing but the Prozinc bods should be able to give you some feedback on Merlin's spreadsheet.

Ah, if only we had an answer to that the bottom would fall out of the trampoline market (lots of kitties wouldn't be bouncing any more! ;). It can be very much an ECID thing but sometimes giving snacks at key points in the cycle may help to slow drops and reduce the size of corresponding bounces. Again, the experienced Prozinc users should be able to give you a few ideas to try.

Mogs

8. Wendy 17 and Merlin

The PMPS is coming up in 30 min. What should I use as guideline? What dose at what level? When to skip? He sinks too low so easily.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hoping Merlin is ok this morning You too Wendy.

10. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.