Microchip timed feeder?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by squeem3, Feb 11, 2024.

1. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Is there a microchip timed feeder out there? I know about the SurePet microchip feeder but it's not a timed one. I have a Petsafe feeder but with two cats it's impossible to know if the diabetic is eating the food or if the civvie is.

Maybe FDMB can crowdsource a microchip timed feeder :D Works just like a timed feeder with a rotating muti-compartment tray. At each programmed time, the tray will rotate so the meal is under the feeding slot door. The door only opens when it senses the microchip on the approved cat. The door will not open for other pets.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What I've seen some people do is get a large tote, cut a hole out of one side and put a microchip-activated cat door in. Then put the timed feeder inside. That way the only cat that can get into the box with the feeder is the one with the chip.

At this time, they don't make a single unit that does both (which is why we have some DIY feeders!)

3. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

What Chris said, closest thing to that you can get is a Meowspace with a PetSafe feeder inside.

https://meowspace.biz/

4. Chris & China (GA)

Oh that's cool....but pricey!! I think I'd go with the tote. One of those that would be big enough for Garfield is $500!

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I saw those Meowscape totes before and while they would work, they're out of my budget. A simple tote with a microchip door would be less costly I think. I have no idea if Leroy would even figure out how to use the door. He's not very smart for an Aby and he has a 2 second attention span :p

6. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

yeah they are definitely not cheap

7. Chris & China (GA)

Maybe get the door someplace that will allow returns for 30 days and start with him learning how to use the door. Does he have a special treat that he will do almost anything for? You start with the "door part" up so he just has to go through the frame part of the door. Back and forth, back and forth until he understands going through the frame gets him a yummy treat. Then try adding the actual door.

8. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Don’t waste your money on the microchip feeder. I’m sure some people have luck but my younger cats figured out pretty quick how to squeeze in past Spot to get to the good stuff once he opened the lid with his microchip.

9. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

The Sure Feed chip feeders work well for us, for the most part. We do sometimes have to police things but since they all have chips, the intruder detection works fairly well. We have 7 cats.

10. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Another less expensive option that I used with Charlie was to replace the door on a pet carrier with a magnetic pet door and place the timed feeder inside. Only he had the collar on with the magnet to open the door and it kept all of the other cats away from his food. It did not look pretty, but it worked. ;)

Hendrick Cuddleclaw likes this.
  11. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

ohhh that is clever

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You get very creative when you can't afford the expensive options. You probably could also do the same thing with a large storage tote. Just remember to drill some air holes in it.