Mimi 8/21 question about vacation dosing and ACTIVE CYCLE AMPS 296 PMPS 70

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When are you going? How long will you be gone? Testing at least before insulin would be great. A reduction in dose would be recommended to keep Mi o safe.

Mimis mom likes this.
  3. Mimis mom

what kind of reduction and I think 3 cycles worth

4. Mimis mom

PMPS is 70- should I stall and see if it rises or

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

70 is a safe number to shoot as long as you can monitor and have supplies. It may also help you determine your vacation dose. I can't stay up with you tonight. If you shoot, keep your subject line updated in case you need help.

6. carfurby (GA)

Normally we recommend reducing the dose 3 cycles before you leave for vacation to drain the depot.

7. Mimis mom

Oh shoot- wait so what does that mean?? If she’s in 1.5 right now- what do I take her to?

I’ll tag some others in case you can’t get back to me

@Wendy&Neko
    @Marje and Gracie

8. carfurby (GA)

It depends on how low the dose is taking her. When do you leave? Did you shoot tonight?

9. Mimis mom

What if I skipped a shot? Is there a way to finagle the way the Lantus works?
    Like maybe one of the shots I would have a caregiver do

10. carfurby (GA)

If you skip a shot it will drain the depot some, but maybe not in the current cycle and she could still go low. It's best to reduce the dose if no one is around to monitor. When do you leave?

tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. Mimis mom

If I left it would be this sunday - il give her the dose in the AM, then shell have a PM and AM from someone else.

What kind of reduction do you do? like if shes 1.5 shell be 1.25? I think shes going to have an active cycle- her +1.5 is 61 :confused:

12. Mimis mom

What about giving her MC food while away so it ensures she won't drop or is that counterproductive- I need some secrets and tricks lol

13. Mimis mom

just fed +1.5 LC

Should I wait to intervene with MC or HC?

14. Mimis mom

+2 48 .... no beuno... just fed some HC, smeared corn syrup on her gums and fed her one of those corn syrup pill pockets that I think gave her diabetes in the first place- I checked their carb content online and they are like 60 g of carb?!?

15. Mimis mom

fed her more than a teaspoon of HC because she us meowing a lot- its breaking my heart. she seems absolutely famished.
    One thing I know is Mimi has a really good appetite- she rarely gets full.. lol. seriously she can keep eating and eating.

16. Mimis mom

+2.5 66

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Rosa

Please take down the 911. You don’t have a 911 issue :).

I’d drop her dose to 0.75u to 1u while you are gone and I’d start tomorrow so you can drain the depot if you are leaving on Sun morning. When Sienne has to be gone, she’d have her petsitter shoot half her normal dose because Gabby wouldn’t let the petsitter test her. So you could drop the dose either to 0.75u or 1u depending on whether there will be any testing, esp preshot.

Mimis mom likes this.
  18. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

That looks better. You will still have to continue to test. Carbs wear off.
    I'm sorry no one responded to you right away.
    The thread title still looks like you are asking advice about the vacation dose.

Mimis mom likes this.
  19. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

That looks better. You will still have to continue to test. Carbs wear off.
    I'm sorry no one responded to you right away.
    The thread title still looks like you are asking advice about the vacation dose.

20. Mimis mom

Ok so I’m assuming she earned a reduction tonight or no because that was the depot draining out because of where it was in the cycle.

She’s at 1.5 now

21. Mimis mom

Also sorry about the 911 - I thought anything below 50 can be 911? I got nervous because of how early on in the cycle it was -

so I should start the reduced dose now?
    I’m still kind of confused about the depot...

22. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad she came back up for you last night. Mimi did earn a reduction last night. However, as Marje said you need to start your vacation dose this morning. If the petsitter can test I'd go with 1.0 units. If there will be no testing I'd start 0.75 units this morning.

Marje and Gracie and Mimis mom like this.
  23. carfurby (GA)

In the future if you need help you can say need help now in the subject line if you're not sure it's a 911 situation. :bighug:

Marje and Gracie and Mimis mom like this.
  24. Mimis mom

Thank you Carla! :)

25. Mimis mom

Testing do you mean like a +1 +2 as well as PS?

26. Mimis mom

Shoot it’s insulin time- I’ll go with .75 just to be safe...

27. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Rosa

Carla has interpreted my advice correctly. As I said, if the petsitter isn’t going to do PS testing, I’d take the dose to 0.75u. If she is, plus another test between +2 and +6, you are probably fine with 1u.

The 911 is really for new members with their first drop below 50, any member whose cat drops into the 30s, anyone who believes their cat is having a symptomatic hypo regardless of the BG, anyone whose cat is showing a lot of ketones or symptoms of DKA. You’ve been here quite a while and have dealt with the 40s before. Even though this one was early, as Carla said, just a note in the subject line showing the BGs and “Need Help pls“ works. Don’t be worried about bumping your post up.

You did a fine job handling it. Have a great trip!

Mimis mom likes this.
  28. Mimis mom

The pet sitter will do a PS BG test but that’s it.

Do you think her current SS numbers are a bounce or is she high because of the reduction? Do you think they feel crappier when they have numbers in the 200 and 300s? Now I’m feeling bad lowering her dose to have to leave..