? Misdiagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by _katelyncross, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _katelyncross

_katelyncross New Member

From the start I’ve thought this might be a misdiagnosis for my boy. They last two days since I’ve got a tester and have been testing his numbers have been great he hasn’t had any insulin in 2 days. Now I’ve been told the food change could have been enough to help. I want to test this theory. Would it hurt to switch him back to his old food for a day and do a curve to see how his body is processing it? To see if it was truly a misdiagnosis or if it was the food change that helped?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I wouldn't switch back to the old food. If he pancreas is newly healing, that might set things back. A better plan would be to go a couple weeks, testing each day, to see if he stays in normal numbers. What sort of numbers are you seeing now?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. _katelyncross

_katelyncross New Member

Would the food switch work that quick though? We were diagnosed on April 4th/2021, started the food switch on the 5th.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hBNVCl5s4-2A6myMXqhbWZzpC3IoccuAownwinEkhaA/edit

4. Wendy&Neko

Food changes can show an impact over a few days. What were you feeding before hand? Also, how was the diagnosis done? Was it by bloodwork or was a fructosamine and/or urinalysis done at the same time? And how high was the blood sugar value at the vet? Some cats blood sugar really goes up with vet stress.

5. _katelyncross

_katelyncross New Member

He was on Acana grasslands before switching to Purina DM. They did a urinalysis because we were originally there for blood in the urine. I believe he said there was sugar in the urine, and then that lead to doing blood work. I believe it wasn’t a fructosamine test. I’m waiting for the vet to email me all the information from that day still l, so I’m not sure what the levels were at the vet. And I know it can and that’s why I think it was a misdiagnosis, because he gets beyond stressed. He throws up and pees all over himself :(

6. Wendy&Neko

I had a non diabetic semi feral had to go into a vet for an emergency. He got blood work done. Next day vet called me saying he thought the cat was prediabetic. I tested him - 53 (2.9) at home. :D Sugar in the urine is more usually means more than just a quick bit of vet stress. Good thing you switched foods.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he on antibiotics? An infection can also increase glucose levels I agree that you should not switch back diets yet.

8. _katelyncross

_katelyncross New Member

Yes he got put on antibiotics because there was blood in his urine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.