Missed shot, now what?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by lacimae11, Aug 6, 2022.

1. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

my roommate typically gives shot in the morning when she wakes up. She did not this morning and also didn’t check her sugars. She said Kahlua didn’t eat which is why she did not give her a shot. Now it’s noon…(shot time usually at 7:30/8am) just tested her and her bg is at 384. Do I give her a shot now? She has eaten.
    Starting Lantus tonight, so not sure how it will react if I give Vetsulin right now and then Lantus before bed time. Urggg

this was my mistake - I should have confirmed with roommate earlier. I assumed she did it. Feeling guilty right now.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry nobody saw this earlier - if you're sure no shot has been given, you can shoot any time, provided you can be off schedule. Sometimes it's better just to let it go so you can be on normal schedule.

If there's any doubt whether a shot was given, or if you do what we call a furshot, then it's better to not give another just to be safe.

3. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Thank you for your response!! I went with my gut on this one and decided to skip to keep her on schedule. Decided to push the switch to Lantus to tomorrow morning so I don’t have to worry tonight about what could happen. Appreciate you

FrostD likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@lacimae11
    Hi first can you please update your SS. When you skip a shot you need to put NS ( non shot ) in the unit cell
    If you are going to start lantus in the AM you need to make a line above the date you plan to start it and write Starting Lantus so members know, if you don't know how to do this ask and a member can do it for you.

You also need to add that to your signature tap on your name above and then signature and write Started Lantus and the date

These things are important
    Do you have the U-100 syringes with half unit markings, you need these when using lantus

How many units are you starting with , with the lantus?
    Did you ask anyone about this?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    lacimae11 likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Your previous thread
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/im-new-here.265746/#post-2986194
    You really need to be testing Kahlua more or you will never know how the lantus will be working and how low she's dropping so you know when a decrease or increase is needed

On your spreadsheet you need to make a line above the date you will be starting Lantus so members know and write Started Lantus or if it's the generic write what it is

Up too where you have vetsulin written put Now Lantus and the date

Also on your signature you need to put started lantus and the date
    Tap on your name then tap in signature and add it and tap save
    These things are important

I had mentioned this before to you on your previous post about testing
    I understand you work what are your shooting times
    Can you at least get another test in before you leave for work and when you get home even if it's @+7 , +8 or +9?
    You definitely need to get at least one test in after your PMPS another if possible @+6
    ,cats usually drop lower at night
    You are only seeing half the picture

A test before you go to sleep?
    The more the better , without more testing I don't think the experienced members here will be able to suggest a dose .

You should read all about Lantus here , I would read all the yellow stickys that are there
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/

If you are still feeding any dry food at all you will have to follow the SLGS dosing method for lantus
    The dosing methods are in the link I gave you above and they will let you know when an increase or decrease is needed depending on which dosing method you choose to follow, you can add that to your signature also
    Did you ask anyone how many units you should start with?
    Do you have the correct syringes when using lantus?
    You need U-100 syringes with half unit markings, you can't use the syringes you have for vetsulin
    We increase or decrease by 0.25 units
    With the pen you will insert the syringe in the gray stopper on the pen and draw out the insulin
    I would either tag someone or start a new post and ask how many units should you start with
    Something like this
    ? Switched from vetsulin to Lantus How many units should I give

A favor when you read a reply from someone can you tap on the word like , it's to the right of each post just so we know you have read it

These are the syringes you need for lantus
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1316/surecomfort-u100-syringes-half-unit-31g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    lacimae11 likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see Chris posted this on your previous post about the syringes and said
    As for syringes, if you have a Walmart near you, you can get U100, 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes (the 3/10ml syringes ALL have half unit marks no matter what they might tell you). They should hold a maximum of 30 units. Either one of these is fine (and can be 30 gauge or 31) They are $12.58/100
    [​IMG]

That's if you live in the US and have a Walmart by you

lacimae11 likes this.
  7. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

I have the u100 syringes. My vet said start with 1u and I am prepared to test her today throughout the day. I updated spreadsheet the best I understand. I will post another thread.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi can you highlight with a color where you wrote started Basaglar on your spreadsheet and put 1 in the unit cell if that's what you gave this morning .
    and on your signature you can remove the 3 units you have for Basaglar because the amount of insulin you shoot will change depending on if you will need to increase or decrease, we will see that on your spreadsheet
    @lacimae11

9. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Got it. I highlighted the start of Basalgar on my spreadsheet. Removing now from signature

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks did you give any insulin on 8-6 the PM cycle?
    @lacimae11 if you didn't you can put NS for no shot
    Just to be clear you didn't give 1 unit like your vet said?

11. lacimae11

lacimae11 Member

Yes I did I gave her 4u of Vetsulin last night since the morning shot was missed and she was high.
    I gave her 3u of Basalgar this morning at 8:30. I was advised to do 3 on another thread. The other member said 1u is ridiculous after being on 4u of Vetsulin for 4 years. So I will be checking BG throughout the day and updating spreadsheet

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom