Months of watery poo :(

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by BellaBlue82, Dec 3, 2022.

1. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Hi all,
    So this is a long one. In mid October, Nico had a bad UTI. Gram neg rods were found. He was on Baytril for 7 days, and it absolutely ruined his GI tract. Sadly, I was new to this type of problem and let it go too long before I found out about S. Boulardii.
    We had our third vet visit last Monday, and he had a full work up; urinalysis, complete CBC, stool PCR test. Of course, everything came back perfect! How ironic for how sick he was. They prescribed Flagyl for his watery diarrhea, which actually did seem to help some in that it eliminated the vomiting and the smell. But we're back to square one with watery poo and mucus.
    He's 15 and never had any GI issues before. Currently giving him S. Boulardii, Proviable, fiber supplement, mirtazipine, and sub Q fluids with B12. Our last dose of Flagyl was this morning.
    Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
    FYI glucose is all over the map, most likely because of discomfort and I'm feeding him whatever he will eat. His appetite took such a hit I'm just trying to get him to eat.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Why is he getting sub-q fluids? Does he have ckd? Flagyl is a good anti-inflammatory in the gut. I hope he will be okay off of it. Proviable is good. S. boullardi is good. A lot of people with IBD kitties like to use Visbiome. If it were my cat, I would be scheduling an abdominal ultrasound to check for IBD or other GI problems. What about food? Have you tried changing his food? Have you ever tried slippery elm bark to soothe the GI tract? I never could get Darcy to eat any food with it in there so I gave up because I wasn’t going to put it into a gelatin capsule and give one more pill (already had too many.). I was reading through your notes and trying to figure this out. He’s been through a lot. At one point, the said that pancreatitis was suspected. Was this ever confirmed with a Spec fPL test? Or was it ruled out? Have you tried giving daily Cerenia? Sorry for so many questions. It’s just that a lot has been going.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

And you had his thyroid checked?

4. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Lol no worries on the questions, I understand!

Sub Q is for the dehydration. I'm only giving 100 ml when he needs it ( days where he has diarrhea a lot.)

He had X-rays and US, only showed some minor inflammation.

I did try liquid version of SEB, but he can't tolerate it. I've ordered some powder to give him, and have #4 capsules I can fill to try that.

Pancreatitis was finally ruled out, confirmed on his most recent workup last week. He had a full battery of testing done, and the vet said everything came back fine! I think that's why I'm at a loss.

I do give Cerenia daily, I have it in bulk now.

Is it possible he could have developed IBD after the Baytril? I've heard it's an extremely heavy duty antibiotic, and he had no GI issues before taking it.

It stinks because he's so irritated with me for all the pills and supplements lately, I'm just trying everything I can. I did try some prescription foods and of course he doesn't like them. I even tried boiled chicken and rice. Ugh he is very stubborn lol.

I'm trying to stick to one main food that he likes and seems to tolerate right now, which is a chicken pate with gravy. Minimal ingredients. I'm going to stay the course with the S. Boulardii and probiotics for now, vet is coming to check him out again on Thursday.

5. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Yes, thyroid was checked as well. It's a conundrum!

6. Suzanne & Darcy

You’ve certainly done a thorough workup on him. I’m sorry he’s going through all this and you as well! I think I would try the visbiome and keep up the s. Boulardii. Maybe he needs a total gut rebuild. I believe you can give kefir and that’s considered helpful.

Did you do the Texas A&M GI panel done?

Since you have ruled out so many things, it may be about finding the right food for him. I’m sure you have already read a lot of what’s on IBDkitties website. Was he on a steroid at one point?

BellaBlue82 likes this.
  7. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

Thank you so much, I've really been trying to help my poor sweet Nico. He's such a love bug and it kills me to see him going through all of this.

I didn't have the Texas AM GI panel done, just my vets GI panel. When she comes to check on him this week, I'll mention it to her and possibly doing a food diet to find the right food for him. ❤️