Need Advice for dosing? Update on Murphy...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Leigh B, Sep 20, 2019.

  1. Leigh B

    Leigh B Member

    Dec 22, 2018
    I am asking for advice/opinions about Murphy's latest numbers. @MrWorfMen's Mom has been very helpful in pointing out that I was likely overdosing Murphy a little while ago.
    Murphy's still showing higher numbers than I'd like, but his demeanor has been great. No more poop accidents (which he was having earlier) and his neuropathy has seemed to improve (my husband-not the cat person- even noticed that he was walking better).
    However, in the last few days, I have noticed him at the water bowl a good bit and seeming much more hungry.
    His numbers are high. I am so confused by what to do. As you can see by his chart, as I "chased numbers with dosing," I ended up giving him too much.
    I monitor him the best I can, but he free feeds, so sometimes it is hard to get an accurate number since he's just eaten.
    I know that I need to get a before bed check, but sometimes I go to bed early, and it is fairly soon after he's gotten his shot. As you can see by his chart, the few times lately that I've been able to check, the numbers are still high.
    Any advice is appreciated. I stay confused about what to do.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Feb 18, 2015
    So sorry for the delay in responding.

    You've been holding the 2.25u dose for quite some time and I think what you are seeing now is some glucose toxicity. Murphy seems to be stuck for lack of a better term. Usually, we suggest holding a dose for at least 3 days and if it seems to be working (BG improving) maybe a week but definitely no longer. That said, it's also really important to get pre-shot tests that are NOT food influenced and to get mid cycle tests whenever you can. At night even testing an hour after the shot can sometimes provide clues as to where BG is headed. Have you considered, if possible, changing shot time to allow for more testing at crucial times? Sometimes a small schedule change can make a big difference as far as testing is concerned.

    I'd increase dose to 2.5u now. Hold that dose for 6 cycles (3 days) as long as pre-shot BG is high enough to give insulin and then re-evaluate. If this is glucose toxicity, it may take a few increases to get BG decreasing again.

    Because Murphy's numbers are running high right now, I'd also strongly recommend you test for ketones. Ketostix are available at the local pharmacy (you may need to ask for them at the counter) and test Murphy's urine to ensure ketones are not in the picture as they can lead to DKA which is very expensive to treat and can in serious cases be fatal.
  3. Leigh B

    Leigh B Member

    Dec 22, 2018
    Thank you for the guidance!
    I do have Ketone strips, and will try to get a sample today. I tested him a few weeks ago, and "little to none" were detected.
    Will update in a few days on the increased dose. I'll try to get earlier shots, too, in order to allow for more testing times.
    Stay tuned...
    THANK YOU!!!!!
    MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.

Share This Page