Need recommendations on saccharomyces boulardii for cats diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liang & Nathan, Jun 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Hello ladies,

We have switched from dry food to canned food for all our cats.

One of our cat, Kyla, is NOT diabetic. She had round worms for quite a long time before we adopted her in 2012. The vet treated the round worms. But she always has loose stool and it has been for a few years.

We have tried fortiflora but it doesn't help.

Then we used the PetUltimates probiotics for cats and it has improved her stool.

Recently we changed the diet to canned food for all cats. So now Kyla seems to have MORE loose stools than before, and the PetUltimates probiotics for cats seem not as effective as before.

I searched in this forum and somebody recommended saccharomyces boulardii. Then I searched on Amazon but there are lots of results.

Would somebody give me a link of the product that has proven to work?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Well yes but it does have a scent to it. Minnie will try to pick around it sometimes so I add a topping or some kitty caviar flakes on top. Lately I’ve been mixing it with a tiny bit of baby food and that seems to do the trick! She’s on 2 probiotics and I have yet to use a probiotic that doesn’t have some sort of smell :arghh:

5. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much for the information.

6. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

I plan to give it to Kyla. How much should I give her each day? Would one capsule per day too much? Kyla is 8 lbs now.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

NO one capsule is way too much. I give Minnie 1/4 once a day. I’d start with that and you can up it to twice a day if needed. Remember it’s human strength so one capsule is too much for cats :)

10. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

ok, thank you. Will start 1/4 capsule once a day.

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Don’t feel discouraged at first because I remember it took about 2 weeks of being on it to see an improvement in Minnie’s stool

12. Candyce

Candyce New Member

I have been struggling for the past 6 months trying to get my boy Shadow to eat his food with fortiflora. Due to COVID I wasn't able to get any last month so had to switch to Protexin Paste and wow, it worked waaaaaaay better than fortiflora and Shadow cat either doesn't realise it's in his food or it tastes delicious because dinner time is no longer a struggle. I just inject the paste into his dish with food and he eats it all up with no complaint!

Shadow has EXTREMELY loose stools without a probiotic (and prednisone) due to him having lymphoma, but on protexin his poops are a solid 10/10.

13. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Do you have to feed him the Protexin Paste every day? Or the Protexin Paste is one-time treatment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.