New again and struggling. Need help with dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, May 5, 2022.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

So the 256 would be a PMPS +10.75?

Linda and Newman likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

He ate again, so he should be fine. I have a cat who regularly does a “scarf and barf.” A civvie

3. Suzanne & Darcy

I would shoot Asap

4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Done. The 256 was at 10.5 based on shooting him last night at 9 pm

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I noticed that some people have added a column with time. I may do that after I figure out how to. I used to know how to do that , so I'll be able to figure it out. lol

This morning I will enter AMPS 256 but does it also get posted on yesterday as PMPS +10.5 ?

This morning I shot just after 8:30 so based on last night, today is almost 12 hours later. Do I still have to hook it to last night?

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

The AMPS number should really be the number that you shot (at 8:30 ish). You should really test when you are getting ready to shoot. As we say, we usually test, feed and shoot all within about 15 minutes. An exception would be if you get an unexpectedly low number and stall for 20-30 minutes without feeding. If you do that, the new test (after the 20-30) would be the actual AMPS (whatever number the kitty has at shot time). So I would say that the 256 belongs on last night... but maybe I am confused. I thought the 256 was taken at approximately 7:30 a.m. and you shot at approximately 8:30 a.m. (which is pretty close to the 12 hour mark since last night.)

7. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Chris, from the Facebook FD Group is working on entering a time column for me. I tried and got 3 columns! She also pointed out that I am using the World Spreadsheet, so she is moving the data, or setting up the correct SS. I'm glad this was caught early when I don't have much data yet. I just tested and he is 212@ + 5. I am waiting to make any further entries. Maybe I will be able to make entries that actual, and make more sense.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Chris is so nice. She posts over here sometimes as well -- but that group keeps her very busy. We could have had Bhooma to help you as well. It's not hard. Go to insert at the top and click column.

But I didn't notice the world thing. Uh oh. All I did was look at the numbers. They were in US numbers and not the world equivalents (where you take the US number and divide by 18 to get the world number). I'm so glad she's taking care of this for you!

9. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Well, the change over is almost complete. I still have to finish entering the numbers. I think the time notations are going to make using the spreadsheet easier for me. It is a way around the mental block I seem to have. Chris just finished about an hour ago. As I told her, she really earned her money on this.

I had hoped to get a few more spot checks today. Newman's behavior was the usual today so I believe he was feeling his usual self. I am aiming to shoot him at 8:30.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes, I like the columns for the time.... it works for me, too, since I am on the same time zone as you are. I look forward to seeing the PMPS... any minute now. I need to go with my son now to go feed our feral cats and will be back in 30 minutes (or on my phone in the car... but NOT while driving! sometimes I'm sitting in my car waiting for the cats to eat... depends on which of us is with the cats feeding them).

11. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I couldn't stop updating the new spreadsheet. I was possessed. I have to review the last couple days entries, but I can hardly see straight! Chris is amazing.

Thanks for checking in. I hope you and your son found the ferals in good shape.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

I can’t see anything on the spreadsheet after yesterday afternoon. No PMPS at all. I was just going to write and ask you if you could update the spreadsheet this morning— then I read your message above.

13. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good morning, we are on schedule but a somewhat disappointing AMPS 429. I shot 2.25 at 8:30. When you click on Newman's Spreadsheet, do you see the new sheet with the time columns? If not, then I need to change the link in my signature. It may sound like I know what I am doing, but I can only hope that goes smoothly. I'll not make any changes until I hear from you. Thanks.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

I can see the columns for the time. I cannot see any entries for today or anything for yesterday’s p.m. cycle

15. Suzanne & Darcy

The last number on there is yesterday’s 212 in the afternoon

16. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hmmm...I will have to go back to Chris. I have posted that info and don't know why at this point that data can't be viewed. In the meantime, last night PMPS was 285 and I shot 2.25 at 8:30. I can see that the font changes for those entries, so that may be a clue.

17. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Also to let you know, today is a therapy day for me, so I will be absent from about 1:00-5:00 PM.

18. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I revised the Spreadsheet link in my signature. The actual link was too long and I got a message as an error. I changed it to a TinyURL, which I have used for years for that purpose. You put in the long address and this program or whatever reduces it. I hope that works. Please let me know.

We are leaving now. I'll check back later.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

I can see it now! Did you get a test before you left? I can’t remember anymore how I got the words Darcy’s Spreadsheet to appear in the bottom of my signature instead of the long url. But your method seems to have worked.

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Hope therapy went okay! Are you tired now?

21. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

No test, I was hoping to do a test, but he wasn't available. At this point I expect to be home all day tomorrow, so I will get a couple then. What times would you suggest?

22. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

The therapy is quite predictable and actually restful. It lasts for an hour of specific massage focusing on the affected limb. designed to push the lymph out of the tissue. Swelling is gradually reduced and then my leg is wrapped with a cotton bandage and low stretch ace bandages. Ideally, the wrap should stay in place until the next treatment. Once it is reduced, it is maintained by wearing a compression stocking. Invariably it will build up again, so about every 6 months a shortened course of treatment is required. The therapist is a young woman from the Philippines. We find a lot to talk about and the time goes quickly.

23. Suzanne & Darcy

Take your pick! Fill in some cells anytime between +2 and +7? Or when Mr. Newman is cooperating :cat:

24. Suzanne & Darcy

I used to take my mother for lymphedema massage. They wrapped her arm up as well. They had removed her lymph nodes when she had surgery for breast cancer so she suffered with lymphedema quite a bit. The therapist was really wonderful. It was very beneficial.

25. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Well, tonight's number is 511 and I shot 2.25. When I saw 429 this morning, I sort of thought that last night's injection may have been a miss. The thing is, it just didn't feel quite right when I stuck him, but I immediately felt the fur and did not feel any wetness, so I figured it was okay. Now getting such a high number tonight, I don't know. I would have expected him to have recovered from a miss last night if that did occur? What do you think?

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Bhooma's on vacation....her sister and she went to spend a few days in the hills to get away from the ungodly heat and humidity in Mumbai.

Great to see the new spreadsheet and I think everything's correct and the way you want it now @Linda and Newman!

If you have any other problems, you know where to find me!

27. Chris & China (GA)

It's possible, but it's also possible that he went lower last night and is bouncing today. Without getting at least 1 "before bed" test on the PM cycle, there's no way to know.

Anytime you think you may have given a furshot, put F.S? in the U column (like 2.25 F.S?)

Most cats do go lower at night so it's really important to get at least a +2 or +3. Those tests can act a little like a crystal ball as far as where he might be going later in the cycle (which lets you know if you need to set an alarm to make sure you get another test or two in)

Welcome to the wonderful world of sleep deprivation otherwise known as Feline Diabetes ;)

28. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks, Chris.

29. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

The spreadsheet looks great and just what I wanted. Already it is making it easier for me to enter data. So that I'm sure I have this right, it is the human meter sheet, but there is no real difference?

30. Chris & China (GA)

I added the line that says you're using the AlphaTrak and also changed the formatting so it works exactly the same as the Pet spreadsheet would.

If you enter a 67, you're going to get that lime green for "too low---time to act". Anything 68 to 99 will be that dark green that we love to see.

31. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, I just saw that and was coming back to this thread to let you know, and to retract my question about the human meter. Thanks for your patience and for your help.

32. Suzanne & Darcy

If you had a fur shot, you most likely would have smelled insulin on his fur or possibly your hand. You will know it when you smell it as it has a very distinct odor.

33. Suzanne & Darcy

Chris already said what I was going to say about getting in a couple more tests - if possible. That before bed test can be really important. Newman has been so high that I haven’t worried about it too much yet - as you get settled- but if we want to get him into lower numbers it will become more important.

34. Suzanne & Darcy

We don’t know much about the high black number tonight since we don’t have any mid-cycle tests for today - you were gone a lot and Newman was off sleeping happily somewhere before you had to leave. Tomorrow you can get a few more tests in and we will see.

35. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I haven't had a sense of smell or taste since I had Covid in July 2020, before the vaccines were available.

36. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh good grief, I am sorry to hear this. I hope those senses will return.

37. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks, I remain hopeful since no one really has a definitive answer.

38. Suzanne & Darcy

He hasn’t really budged much yet tonight

39. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

A new day. Starting a little earlier this morning to make more time at the evening dose for extra testing. So he was 388 at 7 AM. I went ahead and fed about 1/4 - 1/3 can of Fancy Feast. Aiming to shoot at 8 AM, so for the record, I will test before shooting him.

40. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Well, 505 surprises me. I thought we had determined that there was not much bounce from his food in the past and he had such a small amount. I shot the 2.25 and will let him eat more of his breakfast if he wants.

41. Suzanne & Darcy

Have you started testing for ketones? I don’t know if we have talked about it yet. I don’t know how easy it would be for you to stalk him to the litter box with a ketone strip though. I used a blood ketone meter (Nova Max Plus) because I could do it just like BG testing. The strips are expensive though (about $1.80 each).

42. Suzanne & Darcy

I think he’s just about ready for an increase in insulin. Let’s see what happens. He has had a few cycles with somewhat reduced doses and that’s why I haven’t suggested increasing yet.

43. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

No, but I recently purchased a blood meter for that purpose. I got KetoTrak by Acon. I haven't even opened the box yet, but I will do that this morning. He seems to be acting in a normal way. Not sure if I mentioned that I am giving him Zobaline.

44. Suzanne & Darcy

You should put the Zobaline in your signature if you can (I mean, if it doesn't tell you your signature is too long :blackeye:) I hope you will get some more tests on him today so we can think about his dose. I hope you are having a good, sunny Florida day! Have you lived in Florida your whole life? We are not really "from" Georgia. We moved here in 2007 though, so 15 years ago, for a new job. I'm from the Virginia/Maryland area and my husband is from the Tidewater area of Virginia. I never really considered that I was "from" anywhere before that though, since my father was a Naval Aviator and we lived many different places while I was growing up.

45. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I did a test at +3 and hoping to test again at +6 or 7.

I am from Pennsylvania, suburbs of Philadelphia, but I have lived in Florida for 49 years! My ex-husband and I along with our two kids, two cats and a dog packed up our VW bus and moved to the Sunshine State. We did have our belongings moved by movers. I had one sister living here, and my Mother had already moved down after my Father passed. Mom had lined up a two bedroom house for us to rent. We weren't living as hippies! lol Husband was in medical sales and quickly found employment.

46. Suzanne & Darcy

Good testing. He dropped about 100 points so far.

So it was an adventure (the move to Florida). What a drive with the kids, cats and dog in the VW bus! I bet it's changed a lot since 1973.

47. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Test results posted. Got 285 @ +7. Actually both cats are at the feeding place because they are grazers and in the past, I would uncover their bowls and let them nibble at this time. I can skip the nibble and feed around 5:00. I'm trying to do adequate, informative testing but stay close to their customary schedule. I have some concern if I change things too much, Newman won't be eating enough. He has never been a big eater, never overweight.

48. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, he can graze right up until about 6 p.m., right... because you plan to shoot at 8 p.m. I like that number better. Would you consider a .25 increase tomorrow morning... or the next day... as long as things stay like this with mostly yellow or high blue nadirs?

49. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I think I could safely increase by .25 tomorrow. He has had 2.5 units in the past with no dramatic changes. I do have therapy appointments tomorrow and Friday, so he will be home alone from the period +6 to +10 or 2 - 6 PM.

50. Chris & China (GA)

Get a test right before you need to leave. If he's dropping too much, you can leave food down for him while you're gone. Depending how how low he is would determine if you should leave a little LC to snack on or possibly MC or HC.

It's actually best for him to have multiple small meals instead of 2 big ones and except for the Pre-Shot tests, we don't worry about the last time they ate.(as long as it's LC) We want their day to be as normal as any other day.

51. Suzanne & Darcy

It should be okay. Hopefully he will show up for testing for you this time. You should already know before +6 how things are going. And if necessary you can leave food out for the cats while you’re gone. Does Minnie get into their food and eat it?

52. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I can't leave food out because Ozzie and Minnie, the dog, would eat it before I got out the door. I think it is best that I wait until Saturday to increase.

53. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I wish I had a workable solution to leaving food, but the pet dynamics are such that I can't overcome. Cats do not jump up on counter or table so no help that way. I rescued the dog, Minnie 10 years ago. Little girl came with abandonment issues and while she is 99.9% percent over it, she freaks if I try to isolate her. She pees everywhere and scrapes the doors, etc. I can clean up urine, but I can't do that to her. When I go out, she gets her leash and brings it to me, full of hope. I think if I secure the cats in a room, she would want to be there also. So, my decision to hold off till Saturday. After this week, there are only 2 more treatments scheduled, so hopefully I will be released. Under normal circumstances I am home 24/7. When I do have to leave her, I tell her she has to watch the cats. LOL In the past if I go out and my son or grandson are home they report that Minnie has even sat by the door waiting and on occasion she has howled. They both love her too and they try to distract her. A guilt trip for sure. LOL She spins in circles when I return.

I just want you to know that my heart is in this for Newman.

54. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I know it is, Linda. I understand the dynamics of multiple cats and dog(s). It’s okay. I want you to be comfortable with your decision. Minnie sounds sooo sweet!

55. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I just got a PMPS 218. Thinking I should delay and retest. Am I choosing the right action?

56. Suzanne & Darcy

Sure. I would retest in 20 ish minutes 20-30

57. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good, and I am looking for a number that is not continuing to drop?

58. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Looking over the spreadsheet, on 3/25 his PMPS was 245 and he was getting 2.5 units. Later at +3 thru +6 he was down in the low 80's.

59. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

He is 266 he did have a few treats for poking and testing. I suppose that is a good number to shoot the 2.25 units.

60. Suzanne & Darcy

Let’s seeing where he is at 8:30
    yes. It should be safe

61. Suzanne & Darcy

As long as you can test him tonight a bit.

62. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

So I shot him and then let him eat (he has been waiting by the bowl for an hour). He had about half of what was in the bowl and barfed it up. Poor guy. I will be able to test him as long as he cooperates. Hopefully he will not choose to be under the bed.

Thanks for checking in at shot time.

63. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh I am so sorry that he vomited his food up. Maybe he got so hungry that he then ate too fast? Can you try to get him to eat more? Perhaps in 1/2 hour? I don’t want the insulin to onset on an empty stomach.

64. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, and I keep forgetting that he might go under the bed. Can you get help to get him out of there if he refuses to come out? I would like to know where he is at about +2 or so. And I would like for him to eat the rest of his food from dinner. You can try feeding him a teaspoon or so at +1 and +2 - more if he hasn’t finished his dinner and made up for the regurgitated food.

65. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Okay, as usual he is ready to eat almost immediately after and he ate about half of what was left in the bowl from dinner. My son and grandson will be here, worse case, I will have to wake them. I told them there was that possibility.

66. Chris & China (GA)

Maybe you should find a way to block off under the bed so he can't get under there? I've used thick blankets and quilts to block under beds when I was traveling with China.

Probably a good idea to start another thread soon. This one's getting awfully long! Just start a new one and put the link to this one in the post so if people want to go back and read what's been going on, they can.

67. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I posted 322 @ +2.

Chris suggests starting a new thread due to the length of this one. When a new thread is started in an instance like this, how is it titled?

68. Chris & China (GA)

Usually just put the date, cat's name, AMPS number (and you can edit the subject line to add new test numbers as you get them). If you look at other posts in this forum, you'll get the idea.

It's also good to read other people's posts when you have some time. You can learn from other people's questions and the answers they get (and may find something you didn't even know you needed to ask about)

69. Suzanne & Darcy

It looks like you shot 2.25 at 8:15? He was at 257 at 8:15? or was that earlier? I just was looking at the SS and this is what it looks like to me.

70. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, I shot him 2.25 at 8:15. I tested him at 7:30 this morning and got the 257. The time in between was spent eating.

71. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Uh-oh. He just ate the second part of his breakfast, and regurgitated it. He is not acting sick, so I have to think it is just what he does sometimes. My therapy just got canceled, so I can be here. I'll be watching him and testing.

72. Suzanne & Darcy

So therapy on Monday?

73. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, next week therapy on Monday and Thursday.

What are the ideal times that I should check him today? Hopefully, he will be where I can get to him.

Oh, and I am going to try to start a new thread to continue this one, since it has gotten so long.

74. Suzanne & Darcy

Paws crossed for a good day for you and Newman.
    Oh, and if you are ready to start a new thread then do it like this:
    5-13 Newman AMPS 257

It really wasn’t AMPS so I am not sure about how to write that. Maybe PMPS +11.5? Maybe if you change his shot time to 7:30 it will be the amps time? (In the future, I mean, since he seems to like to eat at 7:30?)

75. Suzanne & Darcy

He seems to take a while to get going… so maybe a +3 and a +6?

76. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks, Suzanne.

I have started a new thread. 5/13 Newman AMPS 257