New and scared

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by davidscat, Apr 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidscat

davidscat Member

My 11 year old male cat, Snowy, was diagnosed last week. The vet started him on Vetsulin, just 1.5 units twice a day until she gets a proper dose established. BG was 430. At this point the problem is more with me than with Snowy. I'm naturally very anxious and have a tremors. I've never given an injection to any cat or person. Frankly, I'm terrified. I'm sure that if I can get the first one done, things will improve - if I can just get there. I'm made several failed attempts, and now Snowy is wary which only complicates matters. I've watched videos over and over, and I've practiced on inanimate objects. All that's left is finding my nerve and restraining the cat. Any advise?

Oh, the vet also wants to switch Snowy over to Purina DM pate food but he won't touch it. He is used to wet chunky food and has never eaten pate when it's been offered.

Jill & Jade and Lee Renfro like this.
  2. davidscat

davidscat Member

@@Wendy&Neko @@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Would one of you mind moving this to Feline Health please? I think I'm about the only one perusing this forum most of the time and I know others will be able to help as well.

Welcome! Honestly I too hated the idea of giving shots and home testing, it's still not my favorite thing in the world BUT I know he needs it and it must be done. I also know it doesn't hurt when done right (for example if you've ever used these sorts of needles on yourself, it really does not hurt at all).

Remember they feed off of your emotions as well. Many people choose to hum or sing, or do something else they enjoy or to help calm the nerves.

No need to feed the DM pate, it's a little high in carbs but still ok - but as you see some cats don't go for it. It's not the best food either if you take a look at the ingredients. Here is a list of foods, we recommend feeding under 10%. You will also want a few cans of medium carb food in the 10-15% range, a few in the high carb 16-20% range, and I like to keep a few cans 23%+ as well. Plus some honey or karo syrup, this is what we call a hypo kit. These foods allow us to help control BG if they start getting low.

You will also want to check urine ketones, human strips like Ketostix work just fine. I don't mean to be overwhelming because I know you are already, but ketones and DKA are a risk with diabetic cats and can be very serious.

When you get a chance, we will need some additional information in your signature, a spreadsheet, details found here.

I'm a little concerned the dose is too high, the starting dose is usually around 0.5U twice a day.

Questions:
    What is his current brand and flavor of food? Do not change food yet because it can change BG, and the dose is already a bit high

Are you home testing BG?

Can you please verify the syringes you are using have a red cap and say U40 on them somewhere?

How was he diagnosed, a fructosamine? Did he have any symptoms?

To help you prioritize:
    1. Get some urine ketone strips and try your best to get a daily or every other day test in.
    2. Signature set up for us
    3. If you aren't already home testing, we strongly recommend you do. I find it easier than the shots once you get the hang of it. It truly is the best way to keep your cat safe, especially on Vetsulin. It is known to drop cats hard and fast, and vets tend to overdose it.

Melissa&Mr Kitty | 11 yo | suspected CKD | hyperT Dx 3/22 | SCL/IBD Dx 12/21 | FD Dx 2/20, Cabergoline remission 7/21 | IAA + Acro 6/21 | Chylothorax + weekly chest taps 7/21 | Chronic pancreatitis | ReliOn Prime | Do Not Copy Dosing
    Mr Kitty Spreadsheet
    Today at 2:32 PM Report
    #2 Like Reply
    Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
    [​IMG]
    davidscat
    Sure, I'll repost in the main forum.

Right now I'm just trying to get through phase 1, I haven't yet injected the cat. The vet wants to keep the cat for 2 or 3 days starting Monday to regulate the dose, then weekly follow ups, then monthly. Or at least that's what I recall.

I went to one vet who prescribed Glargine, 3 U, which I thought sounded high and I got the impression that this was vet#1's first experience treating feline diabetes. So, I went for a second opinion to vet#2 who has prescribed Vetsulin. I was given U-40 syringes.

I don't know what test was used to make the diagnosis. The first problem I noticed was that his daily water consumption suddenly went from almost zero to as much as two cups per day with a corresponding urinary output. His appetite went up too. Now his water consumption has dropped to maybe 1/2 cup per day and his appetite has decreased. He is otherwise healthy but probably overweight. He looks a lot like a Khao Manee but with plain old amber eyes.

Snowy usually eats some variety of Friskies Indoor, but has also eaten Fancy Feast Medleys. He will snitch from my other cat's bowl of dry food (Purina One Tender Selects) so I've got to do something about that. Cat#2 is 17 years old and I hate to try to change her food that she's eaten almost from day 1.

I've been practicing injections but with my tremor (essential tremor) I'm worried I'll poke Snowy a couple of time before the needle goes in. Maybe the best I can do initially is to put him in the cat carrier which has a zip-open top so I can contain him for the injection, at least until I can get used to this.

Not home testing BG at this time. This is class day 1, so to speak. I have no idea what I'm doing!!!!

So how do I get a urine sample to do the ketone test?

I wish there were cat-specific vets near me, but I'm in rural TN about 60 miles south-east of Nashville. The closest cat vet, if there is one, would probably be 30 miles away in Murfreesboro. That's also the location of nearest 24-hour emergency vet. I'd be willing to seek out another vet but I hate to put him through the repeated trauma of a 30 mile one-way ride; however, I'm not opposed to the idea.

I'm unsure how to approach the vet about a possible too high dose of Vetsulin, particularly as I'm officially an idiot on the topic.

Thank you!

FrostD said:
    @@Wendy&Neko @@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Would one of you mind moving this to Feline Health please? I think I'm about the only one perusing this forum most of the time and I know others will be able to help as well.

Welcome! Honestly I too hated the idea of giving shots and home testing, it's still not my favorite thing in the world BUT I know he needs it and it must be done. I also know it doesn't hurt when done right (for example if you've ever used these sorts of needles on yourself, it really does not hurt at all).

Remember they feed off of your emotions as well. Many people choose to hum or sing, or do something else they enjoy or to help calm the nerves.

No need to feed the DM pate, it's a little high in carbs but still ok - but as you see some cats don't go for it. It's not the best food either if you take a look at the ingredients. Here is a list of foods, we recommend feeding under 10%. You will also want a few cans of medium carb food in the 10-15% range, a few in the high carb 16-20% range, and I like to keep a few cans 23%+ as well. Plus some honey or karo syrup, this is what we call a hypo kit. These foods allow us to help control BG if they start getting low.

You will also want to check urine ketones, human strips like Ketostix work just fine. I don't mean to be overwhelming because I know you are already, but ketones and DKA are a risk with diabetic cats and can be very serious.

When you get a chance, we will need some additional information in your signature, a spreadsheet, details found here.

I'm a little concerned the dose is too high, the starting dose is usually around 0.5U twice a day.

Questions:
    What is his current brand and flavor of food? Do not change food yet because it can change BG, and the dose is already a bit high

Are you home testing BG?

Can you please verify the syringes you are using have a red cap and say U40 on them somewhere?

To help you prioritize:
    1. Get some urine ketone strips and try your best to get a daily or every other day test in.
    3. If you aren't already home testing, we strongly recommend you do. I find it easier than the shots once you get the hang of it. It truly is the best way to keep your cat safe, especially on Vetsulin. It is known to drop cats hard and fast, and vets tend to overdose it.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi David,
    This is a really hard thread to read and follow. I can see that Melissa has answered you but it has not come out in the normal format.

This is what Melissa wrote above. If you could answer these questions please, that would be helpful. Once we have some more information it will be easier to help you.

Questions:

Are you home testing BG?

To help you prioritize:

3. If you aren't already home testing, we strongly recommend you do. I find it easier than the shots once you get the hang of it. It truly isthe best way to keep your cat safe, especially on Vetsulin. It is known to drop cats hard and fast, and vets tend to overdose it.

4. davidscat

davidscat Member

Sorry for the confusing thread. Let me go back to the beginning and just say that I have emotional issues, plus essential tremor so this is really hard on me. I've have not yet to be able to give kitty an injection. He is presently at the vet for glucose curves, I think until Wednesday. I'm going to the vet's office tomorrow and hope to get in some practice with saline.

As to ketone testing, how do you get a urine sample to test? I'll consider the BG testing but I've got to be able to give injections before crossing the next bridge.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

David it’s not your fault the thread was confusing. The system didn’t set out the questions and answers properly when Melissa replied to you.
    I’m sure it is difficult for you having tremors to deal with s well as a new diabetic kitty. We have actually had people here before with tremors who have managed to treat their kitties, so take heart…you will get there. It may just take a bit longer than normal. We ar where to help and support you so ask any questions you need and if you need support, just ask for it.

I hope the vet is testing for ketones if he hasn’t started insulin yet. Ask him.

I will give you a link for collecting a urine sample. COLLECTING A URINE SAMPLE
    Hopefully Snowy will be co operative.

Just take things slowly and know that some days will be better than others…..we all experience that.
    I would make sure you have a hypo kit set up before you start insulin and print out the signs and symptoms
    HOW TO TREATA HYPO….PRINT THIS OUT AND OUT ON FRIDGE
    Keep asking questions. We are here to help you.

6. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

David,
    My cat has been diabetic almost a year with insulin. I believe when I rescued him he was diabetic. When I found out I had to give him a needle and do glucose testing, I was a nervous wreck. I watched a zillion videos, posted, but after that first shot and a few afterwards. It became second nature. It is natural to feel a bit anxious, but you will do it. The cat does not mind either procedure but he’s a cat so we know what that means

My struggle is with the ketone testing. I have not been successful with that, not because I am anxious, but because I don’t get to him in time

Good luck
    Tom

7. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

We are newly diagnosed here too but I do have nurse experience but cats are different. I'm training my other family members to do it. I think the cat carrier is a good idea to help you secure. The easiest thing we have found is to test his sugar, give food, pet him a bit while he's eating and then I give my insulin. It's a little harder with the fur and not seeing skin. There's a site map somewhere posted in this group that shows injections sites Can you go into the vet and actually give the insulin shot to the cat with their support? They did have my daughter give a unit of saline to our cat there. It's always intimidating learning something like this but you got this. Know its probably going to bother you more than the cat. After a couple weeks, you will feel much more confident. As far as testing, you can talk to your vet about a libre 2 patch which allows you to scan the cat to get a glucose number other than "poking". The downside I've found so far is if his blood sugar is over 400, you don't get a number. It just reads high so I will poke sometimes to get an actual number. Some people have had problems getting the sensor to stay on the 14 days. I'm lucky in that area as being a nurse helped. I'm good at getting dressings to stick. They also can be pricey. I did an offer online and I got my scanner and one sensor for $65. My replacement scanner was $37. I've heard the sensor can cost $65 and they only last two weeks.

You can also buy a ketone blood testing machine called the novamax plus on amazon. They have test strips to test ketones.

My daughter found a cat "straight jacket". I just googled it on amazon and it's called a cat grooming bag. It helps restrain the cat for blood testing. It also says it can be used for injecting in the scruff. We have also wrapped our cat in a blanket burrito style. Hopefully this gives you a few ideas.

Lee Renfro and Dyana like this.
  8. davidscat

davidscat Member

Thank you for the responses. I'm thankful that it seems I happened upon a really good vet who determined to get it right. Snowy was in the hospital 5 days for insulin curves, and I went every day for injection practice, using saline. The vet shaved a place on his scruff to help me. My anxiety is still high but the bigger issue is this darn tremor. Were it not for the blasted tremor I could do the injection in a split second which would be a whole lot easier. Instead I've got to tent, take a few seconds, line up the shot, and so on. By the time I'm ready the cat isn't and he runs off. I guess I'll have to resort to the cat carrier, although that has negative connotations for him (i.e. - trips to the vet). That "straight jacket" sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it.

So folks talk about ketone tests, but how do I get a urine sample????

9. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

there are different tricks people use. Some put down plastic wrap under the litter to catch urine, or stick the strip into the urine-spot right after the cat goes, or stick a ladle under the cat while they are going pee...I've heard a lot of things. Never done it - we use a blood ketone meter

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

11. davidscat

davidscat Member

Things aren't going well with regard to giving an injection. It takes me maybe 30 second for me to tent and shoot due to anxiety and tremor. The cat is over it all in 10 seconds and bolts. There was a different dynamic in the vet's office as Snowy was pretty much limp, but back at home he's not going to sit still for long. He's not fighting me in the least, he's just not going to sit still while I get ready!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.