New LB thread

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Little Bit’s Mom, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

2. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

@JanetNJ this is so silly, but I just read in another thread that the video in your signature is YOU & CC! :) I guess when I watched the first few times, the names didn’t even stick. Thank you so much for that video! It has helped me (and I’m sure countless others) immensely. It is also nice to put a face & voice with your name. :cat: CC seems like such a sweetheart!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ha ha yep. I really should make a new one that someone else holds the phone for. It's like SUPER close up. I'm glad you've found it helpful. CC really is the best cat.

4. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

I think it’s perfect!

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hey Olivia! I checked out some of those Orijen Cat Treats you mentioned in your previous thread. Lots of organ meats, which can be higher in carbs. So I ran a couple of the flavors through the carb calculator I like to use, with the guaranteed analysis numbers from the companies website. They came out as 13 and 14% carbs.
    http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html

So be cautious how many you give to Little Bit. It's possible they could be raising her BG levels a bit.

6. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for checking. Those treats could certainly have affected some of his numbers. I will give the rest out sparingly and will not order more. They are also the treats that LB regurgitated at one point and they were almost like plastic; I couldn’t pull the chunks apart. Since then, I’ve crumbled them before feeding him.

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sorry for calling Little Bit a girl!

8. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Lol it’s ok! :joyful:

9. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

LB was in the blues all day until PMPS. :cool::cool::cool: I hope everyone in the US has a relaxing and happy Thanksgiving!

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::cool::bighug::D:bighug::joyful::bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  11. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Another blue AMPS :cool: yay, LB!

12. jt and trouble (GA)

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to you and LB, Olivia. :cat:

:bighug:

Mogs

14. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Thank you! :bighug:

15. jt and trouble (GA)

16. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

:bighug: Extra thankful for all of y’all today!

17. jt and trouble (GA)

works both ways! ;):cat:

18. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Little had an interesting day today and hit the greens! :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Very nice, LB! :cool:

Mogs

Little Bit’s Mom likes this.
  20. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

:bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

@Jan D & Squeaky if you’re around, I would like to ask you some questions, please. :)

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  22. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Yes I'm around! Feel free to ask. I'm still a newbie at this...... will answer what I can....

23. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Thank you for replying! I was on the feline asthma group a little while ago researching Cushing’s and saw a post pop up from you. Long story short, I’m afraid LB has developed iatrogenic Cushing’s. :( He has symmetrical fur thinning and thin skin. His appetite and energy are normal, though.
    Have you had this trouble with Squeaky? I’m afraid that I’m giving him too much Flovent; but, there’s a fine balance between too much Flovent and not enough. :/ He is at the max dose, so I’m thinking I will bring him down to one puff AM and hopefully be able to taper from that. He was on oral prednisolone for about three years and never developed symptoms during that time, so I can only come to the conclusion that the Flovent is too high of a dose and causing too much cortisol output.
    All this could be *causing* his diabetes and explain why he’s a bit difficult to regulate.
    @JanetNJ @Deb & Wink I would appreciate any wisdom you ladies have, as well. I am worried and upset. Janet, I know Cushing’s is related somehow to acromegaly, correct?

24. Jan D & Squeaky

Oh yikes. I don't know anything about Cushings, at all. However Squeaky has been losing some fur on his ears, not the area where I poke him (the back of the ear) but the front.

However I will email your message to my vet and see.

The inhalers have much less steroids in them than the oral meds; and they only target the lungs. Should be pretty safe. How much of a dose are you giving him of the Flovent?

25. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Thank you! Would love to hear what your vet has to say. He gets 250 mcg inhaler two puffs twice daily.

26. Jan D & Squeaky

If you want to try cutting down, get 125 mcg inhalers and cut one of the times first to 125. See how that goes for a couple of weeks, and if there are coughing episodes. If not, then cut down the second dose to 125. That would be a good way to ease down.

27. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Unfortunately reduced adrenal function is listed as a side effect. I’m sure that’s much more likely to occur with too much of the medication. I’m praying he can get by on a lower dose.

28. Jan D & Squeaky

Oh wait, two 250 twice daily? that's 500 twice daily? Wow you surely can reduce by a lot. Start 250 am and 500 pm. Then reduce to 250 am and 250 pm and see how that goes. Then try what I suggest in the other message.

500 twice a day is A LOT.

29. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

I certainly will decrease his dose. Hopefully Lourdes has a 125 mcg inhaler she can loan me if it takes awhile for one to arrive from Canada.

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Yes, his inhaler is 250 mcg and he gets four puffs total daily.

31. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

How many breaths do you have Squeaky take? LB is so laid back, he doesn’t mind his aerokat at all. Our rx says 10-15 breaths/puff, so he takes all 15 most times.

32. Jan D & Squeaky

Yes it's easy to use and my Squeaky doesn't mind much either. I hold him on my lap like a baby and give him a full body massage each time before his puff. He loves it and it's our bonding time. And it gets him used to being touched all over. He loves it when I hold his toes.

I think ours says 15 but I do 20. I order ours from Vanuatu and it's called Flixotide. I think it is a little less strong than Flovent but still works great.

Okay so maybe I'm not so clear today. Try decreasing 125 mcg once a day, say in the morning. Then after 10 days, try another decrease of 125 mcg in the evening. Then decrease 125 in the morning again. Etc.

My understanding is it take 10 days for a dose to take full effect. And just monitor for coughing episodes. Sounds like you have lots of room for decreasing!

33. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Unfortunately I only have 250 mcg inhalers, so I will have to decrease his AM dose by 250 mcg, not 125.
    I order from Canada, but I think it comes from Vanuatu too.

34. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

@JanetNJ @Deb & Wink if y'all have a chance, I would like to hear your opinions regarding his symptoms with how the diabetes regulation has been challenging. It seems to me that he is not “regulating,” is that correct?

35. JanetNJ

Some cats are trickier than others.

36. Critter Mom

Two things that can potentially feed into a high AMPS:

1. Dawn phenomenon.

2. Cat drops into a lower range at night and the AMPS might be a little 'bouncy'.

It's been observed here that, for some cats, the last thing to come into range when tightly regulating/going into remission is the AMPS.

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Reason for edit: Added link.
  37. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Very good information to know, thank you for sharing that with me, Mogs!:D

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

So, in your opinion, his number ranges and response to insulin would not be considered abnormal? I am worried sick that he might have Cushing’s.

39. JanetNJ

What makes you think he has Cushing? Is he getting large sores that aren't healing??

40. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

His fur is thinning symmetrically on his flanks, belly & front legs. His skin also appears to be thin. I have googled too much!:arghh:

41. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

He eats and acts normally, though.

42. Critter Mom

43. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Thank you, Mogs! I intend to call my vet tomorrow and discuss his symptoms. I’m afraid it’ll turn into a vet visit and they won’t let me back with him. That’s a huge fear as LB does not have a rabies shot due to getting ill after one and he’s an inside-only cat. I hate to make him sick and/or put chemicals in his little body that aren’t necessary. He can get sassy and bite others; if he did that, I don’t even want to know what would happen. Hoping my vet will be open to a FaceTime “visit” just to see the thinning fur. I do think his cortisol levels are being raised too high from his Flovent dose.
    I will check out those links—thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  44. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Just wanted to update everyone re: me being a helicopter mom. :p LB saw his vet today and he said Little is doing GREAT! He’s just over grooming in those specific areas for some reason. Was so relieved!

SashaV and Jan D & Squeaky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.