New Member 2/10/2021- Toes Journey <3

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole - Toe's mom, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole - Toe's mom

Nicole - Toe's mom Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-2-10-2021.242907/page-2#post-2746189

@Deb & Wink Hope this helps! I will keep an eye on the thread! So 0.5U was given this evening at 730pm, I will monitor him overnight as well. And hopefully he will be good in the morning.

I had a question, I have 2 more nights off from work, should I test/feed/shoot as if I am going to work, then test to see where his numbers are at. Noone will be home for 3 days overnight while I go to work. My boyfriend will be out of town. Would that be a good idea?

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes Nicole, I do think that is a good idea.

If I remember correctly, your boyfriend wasn't testing anyway, only giving the shot of insulin.

p.s. New thread is perfect! Thanks.

Nicole - Toe's mom likes this.
  3. Nicole - Toe's mom

Yes, he said he wasn't comfortable testing. So this will give me an idea of where his numbers fall/rise during the night. Thank you :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Nicole, I'm going to ask you to clarify again. The above question to Deb isn't worded the same as we talked about in your previous thread yesterday.

No one will be home for a few days

You will need to shoot insulin at 8am and 5:30pm

You will be giving the shots.

Your boyfriend will not be home to give the insulin for a few days.

When you boyfriend is home he gives insulin at 6:30pm

For the next couple of nights are you asking if you should shoot on the
    8am and 5:30pm schedule
    or
    8am and 6:30pm schedule?

I want to be absolutely sure we all understand what you are asking.

I read the previous thread again, early in the thread you mentioned your boyfriend gives the shots but didn't mention the shots were not 12 hours apart, even when your boyfriend gives them.

Yesterday you said your vet said it was okay to shoot on the 8am-5:30pm schedule, but I'm still not comfortable with it.

Prozinc has some leeway but I think 8am & 5:30pm is pushing it.

I'd like @Deb & Wink to re-visit this please.

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Nicole - Toe's mom

I'm so sorry for the confusion. As I thought about things yesterday, I wanted to see what I should do...

Come Wednesday or Thursday, I go back to work. I work from 645pm-7am but I am not home from 550pm-8am due to my drive to work and working 12hr shifts.

Yes, he will have to get his insulin 8am and I can probably push evening dose, the latest 545pm.

Since I've joined this group, I have asked him to feed him and give insulin closer to 630pm because the insulin is supposed to be administered 12hrs apart. Before joining, we kept him on my work schedule, due to him having to go out of town frequently and the vet saying it was ok to do so. I have been checking his last BG level at 545pm when I worked last week..

I will be giving him his insulin this week due to my bf being out of town for work until Friday. (so this may only be 2 or 3 nights, I might be called into work wednesday night due to short staffing at the hospital and being on call that night)

I am asking to shoot at 8am and 530-545pm because that is the latest he can get his evening dose of insulin while I work.

Now, he has been on this schedule for a long time now (even on the 4.5U BID), pretty much since he's been diagnosed, minus when I am off of work. I'm sorry if this is so confusing, I really thought it was ok because I explained all of this to the vet when he was first diagnosed... I'm beginning to think I should look for a new vet, and I am super greatful that my ignorance of wet food (mostly feeding high carb) is probably the reason he is still alive today.. Now that I am learning more, I am trying to do right for my fur baby... I know it shouldn't have taken this long, but I'm really trying.. But unfortunately the 8am-540pm schedule is really all I can do while working. :(

6. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

This is good information for us to know. I don't know if it will change things for your strategy going forward and when/how you transition to all LC and why I'd like Deb to have a second look now that we have this additional information.

There might be some additional feeding strategy we could look at to make sure we keep Toes safe while dealing with your schedule and transitioning to LC.

Let's make sure Deb understood this, okay?

We totally understand. We trust our vets. Why shouldn't we?

You're doing the absolute very best you can! Don't ever think otherwise. We work with and around our schedules, that's all there is to it.

7. Nicole - Toe's mom

@Shelley & Jess Thank you. I really do appreciate both you and @Deb & Wink for helping me. You two are seriously my angels <3 You don't know how much this all means to me!!

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You have always been trying to do right for your fur baby, Nicole. The only difference with learning more is that it's enabling you to add improvements! :)

:bighug:

Mogs

9. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thank you <3

10. Nicole - Toe's mom

UPDATE: My work trial was started. Tested at 265 for this evening, Fed FF seafood pate with a a scoop of FF Grilled seafood. He ate a little and was given 0.5U. @Shelley & Jess or @Deb & Wink should I just monitor him and get a +2 or grab a +1 as well? Just wondering.. I plan on testing every 2hrs just to make sure we are good tonight! Thank you in advance!! <3

And the reason for the spaces in testing today was due to appointments, sorry! ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  11. Deb & Wink

No apologies needed Nicole. We all have responsibilities in life that we have to take care of.
    You test when you are able to. That is as much as you should expect from yourself. You are doing more than I ever could, when I was still working and had a diabetic cat.

I know that some people using other insulins, (like Lantus) can't adhere to a 12/12 hour dosing schedule either. Some people have done 11/13 or 10/14 cycle dosing schedules. You stick to a dosing schedule that works for you long term.

I've not seen anyone using Prozinc do a 9.5/14.5 cycle dosing schedule like you need to do. Since that is what you are able to do, that is really your only option for dosing, so keep doing what you are doing.

Since you are home this evening, monitor a bit more than you would be able to do if you were away at work overnight. So a +1 and/or a +2 would be fine.

Life is not risk free. We can only do our best to minimize those risks, in relationship to everything else we need to accomplish in life.

I'm tagging @Larry and Kitties who has had many different diabetic cats. Perhaps he has some ideas for you, or some feedback on any of his cats where he used Prozinc. I thought his work schedule didn't always allow him to shoot insulin on a 12/12 schedule either.

12. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thanks Deb! So far just a slight increase to 269 at +2. Hopefully things will work out just fine!

Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  13. Nicole - Toe's mom

So his BG overnight stayed in the 200's, hopefully that's ok. And his AMPS was 278 this morning.

14. Deb & Wink

200's is ok.

Yes, I agree that Toe is spoiled!:);):joyful: (Note on your SS said so)

15. Nicole - Toe's mom

OK! Just wanted to make sure! :)

Oh, he sure is!! lol

16. Nicole - Toe's mom

@Deb & Wink @Shelley & Jess Good morning! May I ask if you 2 can check out Toes spreadsheet. So, he has been on the 0.5U for 8 cycles now (I think?... ) I ended up not having to work last night so I did grab a couple more BG overnight. I go back to work tonight though. I just want to make sure these are the numbers we want and if I keep him at the 0.5u bid. Thanks a bunch!!

Shelley & Jess and Critter Mom like this.
  17. Deb & Wink

Toe hasn't dropped too low on the 0.5U dose.
    I do think he will eventually need more insulin.
    But with your work schedule, it's so difficult to monitor.

Think about increasing the dose to 0.75U the next time you will be home for at least a couple of days.
    We want to see more blues (lower blues too) and into the greens, but not <50 mg/dL.

18. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thanks Deb! I will definitely do that come next week, I have a few off where I could closely monitor him. Thanks again for the help!! Also, this won't hurt him being higher like this, will it?

19. Critter Mom

The yellow range with the occasional pink isn't too bad a range at all, Nicole, all things considered. The greatest worry is a cat going too low.

Mogs

20. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thanks! I figured as much. Better to be a bit on the high side instead of too low. Just wanted to double check ❤

And Toes has been in good spirits

21. Deb & Wink

That is also very important.:)

Shelley & Jess and Critter Mom like this.
  22. Nicole - Toe's mom

Just need to vent.... I'm so stressed bc Toes is being picky with his food again. The real meat, expensive stuff I ordered (that I thought he would actually eat) He didn't touch... sometimes I feel so defeated... And I hate that his sugars are in the high 200's

Deb & Wink likes this.
  23. Critter Mom

I feel for you (been there).

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Nicole - Toe's mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.