New member 5/25/24

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MarcosMom, May 25, 2024.

1. MarcosMom

MarcosMom New Member

Hi- my cat Marco was just diagnosed with diabetes and before he even got his first insulin shot he went into diabetic shock possibly due to an unknown infection. He’s been hospitalized for 2 days and is coming home today. He has a Libre sensor on him so I’ll be able to take his blood sugar level at any time. Besides being completely overwhelmed about giving him shots I don’t know how to manage his food with my other 2 cats. I had always left dry food out to graze as well as feeding wet (mostly fancy feast). I’m learning about protein/carbs but would appreciate anyone’s advice on how to keep him on a monitored food schedule while also feeding other cats. Thank you!! (As I sit here crying!!)

2. Daphne and Aida

Daphne and Aida New Member

Oh no don't cry, it must be very difficult, I know, but I'm sure it'll get better!
    I'm new here as well so I don't have any advice to give you, maybe set up your signature with a spreadsheet first?
    I'm sure the older members will soon come to you with good advice, hang in there!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

The beginning of this process is completely overwhelming -- and we've all been in your shoes. So, you're in good company!

A few thoughts and questions as you're getting started...

Are you sure your kitty was hospitalized for "diabetic shock?" Or, was your cat hospitalized for diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)? Diabetic shock is hypoglycemia which can't occur if your cat didn't get any insulin. We are very careful with cats that have had an episode of DKA so please clarify this with your vet. Your cat's lab tests would indicate that there were ketones present.

We recommend that cats are prescribed either Lantus (glargine) or Prozinc. These are the two types of insulin that are recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association for the treatment of feline diabetes. This is the link to the AAHA guidelines if you want a bit of "light" reading or if you need to convince your vet about insulin choices. The other insulins that are available do not act long enough given that a cat has a fast metabolism. If your vet suggest one of these other insulins (e.g., Vetsulin) please bring up the other options. Lantus (glargine) is available at any pharmacy. Prozinc may be available at the vet's office or is available online from some pharmacies or from Chewy.

You do not need to be feeding your diabetic cat prescription "diabetic" food. In fact, after a class action suit, the pet food manufacturers can no longer call these foods "prescription". If you read the ingredients, you'll see there's nothing that requires a prescription in the food. In fact, many of the prescription foods, especially the dry foods, are very high in carbohydrates. You want to be feeding your cat food that is under 10% carb. The Fancy Feast pate style foods are mostly under 10%. It's also fine to feed your other cats low carb food. Cats are obligate carnivores. In other words, they are unable to process anything that's not protein so what's good for your diabetic is also good for your other cats. Feeding all of your cats the same food will make your life much easier! This is a food chart that has information on most of the canned foods that are available in the US. There's a column that lists the carbs. You have lots of choices! The biggest challenge is if one of your other cats will muscle your diabetic cat out of his food bowl. If that's the case, there are feeders that only open in response to one cat's microchip.

Please make sure your vet shows you how to give your kitty an injection. When my cat was diagnosed and hospitalized, everyone assumed I knew how to give my cat a shot because I speak fluent medicalese. I got home and panicked. Fortunately, there are videos on YouTube. I'm having trouble tracking down our link to giving shots so I'm hoping someone else can provide links.

The Freestyle Libre is a great option. Like with most things, there are pros and cons. The biggest con is that the meter isn't accurate in lower ranges -- it gives inaccurate low readings. The sensor needs to be replaced every 2 weeks. There's a Facebook group that can offer help with doing this yourself. We also suggest getting a handheld meter since if something can go wrong, it will and having a backup helps if the Libre stops working, the sensor falls off, etc. Many people here use the Walmart Relion meter. The strips are inexpensive.

Finally, this is a link to our post on helping us to help you. The post has information on how to put together a hypo kit along with how to set up your signature and spreadsheet. Your signature will give us information about you and your kitty so we don't keep pestering you for the same information. The spreadsheet is a way to track your cat's progress so you can see how well the insulin is working. It's also linked to your signature so we can follow along and offer guidance. (You can see mine in my signature.)

Please let us know if you have questions. The members here are very generous with their time and knowledge. We're here to help.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. We are here to help you. Ask anything you want. There are no silly questions.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

7. CORKY

CORKY Well-Known Member

Welcome, you're in the place, I have also cried and sometimes I still do, get scared, frustrated,, insecure if I am doing the right thing for Corky it is overwhelming when the Vet says Diabetes, I had no idea what the symptoms were, if a cat would get diabetes; I was helpless until I found this Forum, there's emotional support, quick assistance in case of an emergency, suggestions, help to get you thru,
    my Corky has flourished completely, and I with the Long-Term Members, helping me make the correct decision on the dosing of insulin, weather to increase, decrease, depending on what is going on at the time, I can consult concerns of the day,, I personally say that this Forum has saved my sanity, My Corky and my pocket, Marco and Mom are in good hands right here...:bighug::bighug:;):cat::cat: