? [New Member] DKA happening now, on feeding tube; can't afford 4th hospital stay in 2 months

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Princess Tortilla (GA), Jan 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m sorry but this thread is so long that I dang read through it all. The antibiotic could be making her nauseous. What type of infection does she have? Was a culture and sensitivity run to see the best antibiotics or is the vet just guessing?

2. Princess Tortilla (GA)

Princess Tortilla (GA) Member

Ah, okay.. isn't taking it with food supposed to prevent nausea though? I also gave her Zofran this morning, and she had a cerenia injection last night.
    It's for her kidney. Part of her diagnosis was "acute on chronic kidney injury secondary to dehydration" along with "chronic nephropathy". I'm not sure about the culture and sensitivity.. is that what it would be called on the bill? At discharge they mentioned they had started her on the antibiotic there.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A urine C&S or culture or culture and sensitivity is what is should be called on the bill.

Some kitties have a hard time with Clavamox. The antibiotics also kill the good tummy flora. You can give probiotics, a couple hours apart from the antibiotic, to help with that.

I really liked this video on giving subq fluids: How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids (Video) There are links in that post to other good places to source fluids, which will usually be a lot cheaper than the vets.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Princess Tortilla
    The video Wendy gave you is much better than the one I gave you

Do you know how to start a new thread since this one is getting long

Tap on here
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-welcome-main-forum.28/
    Then tap on post new thread , says it to the right
    You can copy and paste the same title you have now and could add Continued
    Then you need to copy and paste the previous post which will be the one you have now and paste it on the new one in case members need to go back to it

Your previous days post is the one way up top above where the pic of that cat is on the left hand side , as you can see I'm not that great at explaining things

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  5. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

Since you live in the city your tap water is likely treated with chlorine and other chemicals so you may want to switch to bottled for the Princess. You can also give her unflavored Pedialyte to help replenish potassium and electrolytes.

Re fluids, some vets prescribe 0.9 sodium chloride (NaCL) which has its place but is NOT suitable for maintenance fluids - too acidic, stings when injected which won't make the cat happy, and other things. You want Lactated Ringers.

About giving sub-q fluids, most cats are not going to be cooperative at first and no cat likes to be restrained, but they do like boxes. Having a corner to stick their little face in provides some security, like they're hiding.

I think she's drinking so much water because her sugar is probably high so don't take it away. Fluids will help flush that out. If she's still feeling crappy tomorrow, you could consider leaving her at the vet for the day for IV fluids.

6. Princess Tortilla (GA)

That's a great idea. I'll ask about that at tomorrow morning's appointment and see if they can accommodate her for the day.

She just vomited again :( I feel so bad for her, she looks terrible compared to when we brought her home last night. I had fed her 30 ml of slurry through the tube over the course of 90 minutes, and I didn't even flush the tube with water after bc I was afraid of her throwing up again. And I removed her water bowl for an hour after the feeding to not overload her stomach with liquids... but she still threw up a little bit. :arghh:

I just got some bottled spring water for her, and I'm going to leave that out. She's still reading HI on the Libre - I'm going to have the vet check her BG tomorrow (my Relion arrives the day after tomorrow).

7. Princess Tortilla (GA)

Ah, you're right. I will get a new one started

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you think she is worse, can you ring the vet today to see if you can get her in for some fluids?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

My heart is just breaking for your precious kitty and you.
    I feel so so bad for her :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How are things going with Princess Tortilla?

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Worried we haven't heard from Tiffany

12. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks for letting me know ,yes it is so so sad :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.