? New Member, May 2, 2023: European High, medium high carb foods

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stefania S, May 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefania S

Stefania S Member

Hi all,

I have looked at the cat food list here on the forum, but I don't recognize a lot of those cat foods, including the ones listed as European, or they aren't high carb enough for the hypo toolkit. I'm having a hard time finding a high carb food here in Italy and I don't have time to calculate carbs on every single brand and flavor.

I'm hoping there are some non-UK Europeans here who can point me towards a few high and medium-high carb cat foods to keep in the hypo toolkit. I prefer something that doesn't contain a lot of unhealthy ingredients in it, but I'll take all suggestions.

Thanks!

Stefania

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi I don't know if you can get any of these in Italy but take a look at these
    Such as

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Good idea to mark the cans with magic marker how many carbs

Or any on the food chart. Doesn't have to be Fancy Feast just an example about the med and high carb foods
    And some honey in the house

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-
    11% -15 is medium carbs.

16- 24 is high carb.

3. Stefania S

Stefania S Member

I only find Gold Gourmet at Zooplus.it which looks like Fancy Feast but the carbs are much lower

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

If no one answers you can always add some honey to the gold gourmet to make it higher in carbs, sorry you can't find anything.
    Try add ing a ? In front of New Member
    Tap here n the word Thread Tools to the right then tap on Edit title add the question mark then tap save or done

Stefania S likes this.
  5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Stefania I didn't see these listed on Zooplus what were the carbs that you saw?

I only find Gold Gourmet at Zooplus.it which looks like Fancy Feast but the carbs are much lower
    I did a search on our site and found this posted my some of our members

Just checked the UK Gourmet Gold Turkey & Duck in Gravy - 25% kcals from carbs so should be OK for steering.

Posted by another member
    Hi, as for high carb food in the UK (which may also be available elsewhere in Europe), the Gourmet Gold 'in gravy' foods are good. These are around 25% of calories from carbs (or they were the last time I checked

More
    he Gourmet Gold Chicken & Liver Chunks in Gravy is a high carb food - works out at 25% kcals from carbs.)

Found this too
    the Gourmet Gold 'in gravy' ones are high carb. And it's the gravy bit in particular that is useful (meat can be squished down with a spoon and the gravy scooped up).
    Something else that some UKers like to have in their hypo kits is the Webbox Lick-E-Lix salmon treats (the yoghurty ones) and/or the Webbox salmon Lick-E-Licioustreats. The latter seems to be the most high carb

I guess it would be these

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Tagging @Elizabeth and Bertie also
    Hi Elizabeth Stefania is from Italy and is having trouble finding med and high carb food
    I found some older posts from members and posted them above
    Do you think these are correct
    Thank you :cat:

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I guess it would be these
    [​IMG]

10. Stefania S

Stefania S Member

Ok, I’ll just get these. When I use the carb calculator it gives me much lower numbers. Could it be that “Calories from carbs” are not the same as percentage of carbs on a dry matter basis?

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are asking the wrong person about this :p
    As far as I know we usually go by dry matter , I can tag someone if you would like me to

12. Red & Rover (GA)

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From this note in theHealth Links forum: UK Diabetic Cat Food Info some information also relevant to Europe.

I've even seen a member use honey yogurt, if you cat can tolerate dairy.

14. Stefania S

Stefania S Member

Hi, thanks. This is a UK website. I don't order from the UK because of customs charges and big problems with deliveries. UK is non part of the EU so when I say European, I guess I should specify, within the EU.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We've had members from UK proper (eg. Spain) feed the Gourmet Gold. Not sure how she ordered it.

16. Red & Rover (GA)

One member used vanilla ice cream. Do not give chocolate ice cream.

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh crap !

18. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Stephania, we usually compare on a 'percentage of calories' basis. And we recommend foods that have less than 10% of calories from carbs.
    This calculator can work that out for you easily. (Ignore the fact that it calls itself a 'guaranteed analysis converter', that just refers to US food labelling. But in Europe our foods are usually 'typical analysis' and are intended to give an indication of the average values.)
    https://balance.it/convert

'Dry matter' just refers to the elements of the food - by volume - as if the water has been removed. It's not the same as 'percentage of calories'. It's particularly useful for comparing some things though, phosphorus for example, which should always be calculated on a dry matter basis.
    And some people with fat-sensitive kitties compare fat on a dry matter basis also.

Eliz

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  19. Vicky & Sharess

Vicky & Sharess Member

Hello Stephania,

I haven't been on the forum in a few days and I just saw the messages :)

I don't use high carb wet food for the hypo toolkit. I usually give her some grain-free snacks or even cat malt (which has a lot of fat), for emergencies, but luckily I've never had a serious problem. I normally feed Sharess with this grain-free MjAMjAM brand food from Amazon that I didnt know before and that my cat loves.

I don't know if it's this new food, but we started feeding Sharess with MjAMjAM in April and She is clearly improving her numbers. Also, she doesn't scare me that much with a lot of bouncing :)

Stefania S and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  20. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hiya! Sorry only logged here after loooong while!!
    I’m in Ireland I’m using Aldi and Lidl food (both have low carb and high carb) and I use carb calc to count the carbs in them. I know that Lidl for example in Spain use different brands (like local) than here so probably Italy has his own local Lidl brands but I’m pretty sure they gonna have something similar in ingredients and carb counts etc . Also I order smilla from zooplus for low carb but I know some of them are higher in carbs than others. Hope that’s helps

Stefania S likes this.
  21. Stefania S

Stefania S Member

Hi Eliz, Thanks for the info. I just saw your reply now. I've been so focused on my main thread for everything related to Insulin that I forgot to look at this one. I have used the Carb Calc below for years, but I see now that it produce somewhat different results from yours. I know you can also calculate it yourself, but obviously that takes longer. Do you know why they would yield different Carb percentages?

https://www.caticles.com/carb-calculator-for-cat-food/

I always looked at the dry matter conversion because that's what people seemed to think was the most important number. Do you look at a different number?

22. Stefania S

Stefania S Member

THanks @Paulina, I will look into those. Smilla I knew about from before, the others I don't recognize.

23. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Stefania, yes, in this group we compare on a 'percentage of calories' basis.
    'Dry matter' is just the constituent/s of the food as if the water has been removed. But it tells us nothing about the calories. And we recommend foods that have less than 10% of calories from carbohydrates.

The 'Carb Calc' calculator is from one or other of the Dr Hodgkins' groups (DCI for example) where they just compare carb content on a dry matter basis by weight. But we go a stage further and calculate the total calories, and then the percentage of calories that come from from carbs. This is what this group has done from very early on, and it's the way that Dr Lisa Pierson's catinfo food list has been calculated, and it's the way the foods on the UK list have been calculated.

Edited to add link to easy online calculator:
    https://balance.it/convert

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.