New member: Nathan's blood work and urinalysis results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liang & Nathan, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Hello everyone,

First I want to thank many members who have helped me and answered my questions in my previous post. You really helped me a lot and I couldn't express my appreciations more.

My cat Nathan is 11 years old, 17.5 lbs. He starts ProZinc 2 units twice a day from 05/16/2020. I will do the SS and edit my signature soon.

We were able to do the home testing successfully twice as the following:
    05/16/2020: PM +4 188
    05/17/2020: AM +8 242

One more successful home testing:
    05/18/2020: AM +6 211

Nathan did blood work test, fructosamine test, and urinalysis on Friday 05/15/2020. Today detailed results came back. But the vet is not in office now. I haven't got his opinions yet.

I wonder if somebody could take a look at the results and give me some advices/opinions/thoughts.

I also have two more questions.

Question 1. Is it normal for a newly diagnosed cat to have a high ALP value?

Question 2. When diabetic cats are on insulin, how often should they urinate daily?

Thanks again for many warm-hearted members here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Reason for edit: add more information
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi again!

those numbers are hard to review because as someone said in the other thread they’re numbers in a vacuum without the amps and pmps. Those are super important as you move forward. Always test before giving the shot so you know the BG level is safe for the dose you’re administering. But good job on testing successfully yay!!

I’m terrible with lab work, but as far as peeing there’s again no hard rule. They’ll definitely start to pee less as the diabetes gets regulated so you’ll notice the difference. Minnie right now pees about twice a day, but then my cat Bobo who is not diabetic pees sometimes 3-4 so go figure ha!

3. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

When you get your SS set up, there is a tab for labs. You might want to enter your numbers on the SS along with the reference range. It will allow more experienced people to look at your labwork easier.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the tests! Those are pretty good numbers for starting out-- still diabetic, above the normal range, but not sky high. As Ale says, hard to interpret without knowing what the pre-shot number was, but it's an encouraging sign that Nathan is probably responding to the insulin.

I can't help much with test values either, sorry, but I'm sure someone here can!

5. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you all. I will try to do the SS today.

I am new to the forum. But I noticed many of you use the id/name like "xx & yy". Would it be a better idea if I change my displayed name to "Liang & Nathan"?

6. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much again.

7. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you. Will try to do the SS today.

8. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I LIKE THIS! :)

10. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Just did one more successful home testing:
    05/18/2020: AM +6 211

11. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Hello, could anybody take a look at my signature to see if I set the SS correctly?

By the way, I am unable to type info in the "labs" sheet.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

I can see it! Can't help on the lab sheet problem, not sure what that could be... Are you definitely working with your editable sheet (not the shared link you have in your sig)?

Nathan is a gorgeous boy!

13. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

WOW, you are right. I was trying to edit the shared link. Where is my editable sheet now?

14. Nan & Amber (GA)

Should be in your Google Drive...

15. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much. Found it. Editing the lab results now.

16. Nan & Amber (GA)

Phew! I always get nervous when these things happen!

17. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you for your guidance. I have just finished the lab results.

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

This looks good and I second Nan, he’s a seriously good looking sugar kitty!!! :cat:

The one note I was given previously is that the link to the ss should be at the end of your signature. See mine :) can you also add the food he’s on?

19. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you. I will edit the link in my signature.

He is currently on a mixture of food: 1.5 oz dry food (75% nutro feed clean wholesome essentials + 12.5% tiki cat born carnivore +12.5% hill's science diet adult sensitive stomach & skin) + 2-3 oz canned food (large variety if he eats, usually he likes purina pro plan chunky chicken/ beef & carrots).

There was a long story why we have a large variety of dry and canned food. I will make it short: we had a cat who was very picky on the food so we bought many to entice her to eat, but she passed away recently.

I plan to slowly switch to the low-carbs canned food recommended here, so I didn't list his current food.

20. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that and so sorry for you loss :(cat_wings>o

I understand about the food. My other cat Bobo is a very picky eater. Make sure you only start the transition once you’re all set up with home testing and testing before the insulin shots because food changes can change the BG levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.