Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rowan, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowan

Rowan New Member

Hello!
    My cat TJ was diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago. It was a very stressful time for the both of us, and thankfully I've learned a lot since then. I feel confident with insulin injections, and TJ seems to be fine with the routine. However, I'm still very new to managing his health. Right now I'm working on diet (he's very pesky and has a sensitive stomach). Then I am planning on speaking to my vet about home testing next visit, as fructosamines every three weeks feel frustratingly spaced out. Overall, I'm not very scientifically minded, medical jargon confuses me, and watching his blood sugar looks intimidating. I'm glad to have found a forum where I can post questions as they come up. This takes a bit of the stress away.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB.

There are many of us who are good at translating medical jargon (and some of us speak it fluently!!). You don't need to be a scientist to manage your cat's diabetes. The learning curve at the beginning is steep but it all becomes second nature in a surprisingly short time.

Regardless of what your vet tells you, please learn to home test. We are more than happy to help you learn. We have videos and all sorts of information. Home testing is the best way to insure TJ is safe. It's especially important if you are transitioning from a higher carbohydrate to a lower carbohydrate food. The switch to low carb can drop blood glucose numbers..

Please let us know how we can help.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Once you test at home it will eliminate the need for testing at the vet. A fructosamine test is good for diagnosis, but doesnt really Serve a purpose after that.
    I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home. Once I started testing she didn't go back to the vet for a year.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Rowan and TJ. He looks a sweetheart. :cat:
    Ask as many questions as you like.
    I agree with home testing. Only way to keep TJ safe.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.