New to forum (4/17) Insulin Dosage Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sugarkitty15, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Hi All!

Newly (ish) diagnosed kitty here. Received diagnosis on 2/13 and we've had quite the roller coaster trying to find the correct dosage. I am finding myself working from home until the end of May so I wanted to take advantage of this and start at home testing. I'm having some issues interpreting the BG results. I'm using a Metene meter and ProZinc insulin. Vet has him on 1.5 U 2x a day now. Last night, his PMPS was 204--I gave him only 1U insulin. This morning, AMPS was 295, so I gave him the full 1.5 U. When I did the +6 test, he was at 242. So should I give him the normal 1.5 U tonight? Am I interpreting this correctly? Should I actually decrease it a bit? I did read the ProZinc sticky in here but I'm still a little confused in the INDR and insulin amount. TYIA for your help!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: Correcting +6 value
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. I note you have a spreadsheet in your signature. However, can you add values to the spreadsheet so that wee can better answer your question.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I cannot answer your question but I can say WELCOME to the best site on the planet to help you help your kitty!
    We are more like a family here so we are interested in yours and kitties name. Larry( or another) is ready to help when you are.
    Again WELCOME:bighug:
    jeanne

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Spreadsheet should be good to view!

This is Squeaks, an 11 yr old DSH. He's quite the diva and oddly enough, acts like a dog! Follows me around everywhere, listens to commands like sit, stay and come here. He is the biggest cuddler and can never get enough attention! :)

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello Squeaks and Squeak's mom! :D Great job starting on the spreadsheet.

So far we don't have too much to work with though his cycle today looked a tad flat. The first thing you want to find out is his onset (time when the insulin first hits the system) and the nadir (the time when insulin activity peaks and his numbers are at their lowest). You can do this by testing say, +2, +5, and +7 one day and then at +1, +4, and +6 the next. Just trying to fill in those gaps over the course of a few days so we can recognize a pattern. Insulin dosage is based on nadir, not pre-shot, though when you don't have a lot of data (like right now) you would want to be more cautious over shooting anything under 200.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Squeaks is a cutie pie! Hi Squeaks *waving* :) Now mama must have name... hmmmmm?

Deb & Wink and Panic like this.
  7. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thank you! I will let you know once I have a few days worth of testing.

Deb & Wink and Panic like this.
  8. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

I'm Betsy :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. jt and trouble (GA)

HI BETSY! *waving*

Sugarkitty15 and Deb & Wink like this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.