New to Vetsulin, need dosing help

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Neeka, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Neeka

Neeka Member

Hi there, I need some guidance with dosage for Vetsulin. Bailei was started on Prozinc when he was diagnosed but for the past few weeks his numbers have been consistently high (400-500s) even tho his routine, diet, appetite, etc remained normal. So, vet switched him to Vetsulin yesterday. I was a vet tech yrs ago so I do test before each test. PSPM was 465, gave him 1u, at +2 he was 427 & then went to bed. PSAM was 467 again, gave him 1u again. Vet is recommending 2u but we just started on the Vetsulin last night, I dont want to go too high too fast. Im planning on doing a curve this weekend. Any thoughts & recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help. :)

What dose of ProZinc was he on before the switch?
    What was the best range of BGs you achieved when he was on ProZinc?
    Has he had a dental recently? Infection can cause BG range to increase.

We can help you best if you set up the spreadsheet we use here and enter all the data you have going back to diagnosis. You need the version for an AT meter.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. Neeka

Neeka Member

I have my written log at home of every test/dose since diagnosis. I can upload pics tonight. But he was on a sliding scale/dose with prozinc, based on BG. Typical was anywhere from 2, 3 sometimes even 4 units, but usually 2-3. He was normally lower in the AM with prozinc, usually high 100s to low 200s, but PM was always higher. Infection was my 1st thought when he started reading high all the time but we ran an entire course of Clavamox on him with no change to his numbers. Vet was thinking he might be developing a resistance to the prozinc so recommended we switch to vetsulin.

4. Kris & Teasel

It would be a good idea for you to read the Vetsulin info stickie here on this forum. We don't generally use sliding scale dosing for any insulin here on FDMB.

The spreadsheet we use automatically colour codes any BG entry allowing us to scan the colour scatter over many days to see patterns that we base our dosing advice on. It would be very helpful if you use that spreadsheet. It's harder to get the big picture when looking through notebook pages of entries.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. Neeka

Neeka Member

I'll try to get my log updated to the spreadsheet asap. I just dod his pm test & he was 459, which seems to be consistent this far. I continued with 1u. On a side note, I ordered some "blood glucose gold". It has really good reviews online in helping regulate, sometimes even eliminate insulin, for some kitties. Anyone have any experience with this?

6. Kris & Teasel

I think it's been mentioned a couple of times here but I don't recall more than that. Try asking about it on the main health forum.