Newbie, Hi!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathryn JEZEK, Jan 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathryn JEZEK

Kathryn JEZEK New Member

[​IMG] Well, I'm Katt and I have a 6yr old little guy that was diagnosed with diabetes. He's about 10-12 lbs and since being back from a 7 day stay at the emergency vet... things have been interesting. I haven't been able to get him to eat wet cat food. (Purchased the glyco md in 2 different forms wet and the dry). He won't touch the wet stuff. He will however eat the dry glyco and Ive been giving him beechnut baby food (chicken or turkey or beef & broth) 1/2 cup dry and half a jar of the baby food in the morning and same amount at night. He gets 1 unit Lantus morning and night. He also is being given 2.5 potassium and 1.5 clavomox. His glucose level stays pretty high and he doesnt have a appt till the 12th for the internal medicine veterinarian.
    I just thought I'd post and say hello and to also ask the knowledgeable on a few things if possible.
    1. Is this enough food as he was always able to graze in the past? I pick the food up at a specific time morning and night to get him on a schedule. Then give him his insulin right after he eats.
    2. He's been getting a little aggressive with me during the day when he's wanting food. Cuddling up rubbing his face on mine and then biting at my face. Attaching my arm when asking for attention. He wasn't like this before vet.
    I know I will have. Bunch more questions but figured I'd start here.
    Thank you guys for your time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Reason for edit: Pic
  2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Just wanted to welcome you and your so cute little boy.

Does he have any other medical issues (7 days at ER)? Why is he taking potassium and Clavamox ?

As for the food, I guess your little guy is not happy with the new feeding schedule :(.... diabetes cats normally do better with small meals spread out during the day. Of course dry food is not recommended, they do better with wet pate (Fancy Feast is often used.

For sure you'll have more answers to your questions! Keep posting and welcome again!

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Glycobalance S/O Index Dry Cat Food, 4.4-lb bag
    Welcome is this what you are feeding?

I found this on the Chewy.com site
    It's very high in carbs

Too high in carbs for a diabetic kitty

What is the carbohydrate content in this food?

At this time, Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Glycobalance S/O Index Dry Cat Food has a carbohydrate content of approximately 23.54% on an as fed basis and 25.29% on a dry matter basis

320 calories per cup

We don't recommend dry food , most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pate , try to stay under 10% carbs
    Most of these are 2 or 3 % carbs

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

If you must feed dry food Dr Elsey's Dry Clean protect Chicken Flavor is low in carbs

Found this on the Chewy.com site.
    It's very high in calories though and very expensive
    554 calories per cup

https://www.drelseys.com
    They will send you free samples

What is the carbohydrate count of this food? Also what size are the pieces? I have a picky cat who does not like small kibble.
    This formula has a carbohydrate content of 4.12% on an as fed basis (4.69% on a dry matter basis). The kibble measures approximately 1/4 inch in diameter.

By on Dec 1, 2020 Report

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

As far as feeding goes we do not feed only twice a day as most vets recommend
    We feed the larger meal first thing in the morning when you give insulin
    and when you give insulin at night

We feed smaller meals during each 12 hour cycle
    Are you home testing?
    We have a spreadsheet that we use to enter our cats BG
    In case you ever need advice about dosing we need to see this in order to give any advice.
    Testing will show how the insulin is working for your cat and how low his BG is dropping and when.
    If you are interested in setting one up just ask

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

You couldn't have found a better forum
    The members here are very knowledgeable , if it wasn't for the caring members here and their great advice my cat wouldn't be doing his amazing.
    Good luck with your spot with the with the internal medicine vet :cat:

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

• when you get a chance ,It would be helpful if you can set up your signature so we don't have to ask you the same questions over again. Members will look at this first .
    • It appears after each post in gray, look at mine,

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people
    You can also add where you live in your profile, not your signature

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.