Not sure I’m getting all the insulin in

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EricaB, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricaB

EricaB New Member

Hi everyone,

My 8 year old Maine coon cat was diagnosed about a month ago and we are slowly getting the hang of the injections. Her numbers have improved significantly. I have ordered smaller gauge needles because she hates the 29 gauge ones and growls when we give her the shots. My question is how do I know that I’ve gotten the insulin in? She has very long fur. I have to be quick or she will get away from me. I try to feel her fur once she has settled down, which doesn’t usually take long. Tonight it felt dry at first, but when I pet her about five minutes later I got some moisture on my hands. So I’m doubting my effectiveness. It’s hard not to keep second guessing myself. Any suggestions for how to be sure I’m doing things correctly?
    Thank you!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Which insulin are you using, Erica?

Mogs

3. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Personally, one of the few times I prefer the 1/2" insulin syringe needles are for cats with long hair (or a very thick fat pad). I find it a little easier to make sure the insulin is being injected in long-haired cats with the 1/2" needle instead of the shorter ones.

4. EricaB

EricaB New Member

Prozinc. She’s doing very well with it, but because she has such long fur and is not a cat who likes a lot of fiddling with I’m not always sure I’ve gotten it all in.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

One of our experienced members often suggests the wrist roll method.
    "Yes, the "wrist roll". You grab some fur between your thumb and forefinger and then "roll" your wrist to gently pull the skin and then shoot in the 'break' in the fur at about a 45 degree angle."

China skin roll method with circle.jpg

wrist roll.jpg

Also, shooting with the bevel of the needle (the slanty side) facing up is less painful.

6. EricaB

EricaB New Member

Thank you! I will practice the movement on one of my other cats first. My diabetic cat is so jumpy that if there’s any hesitation she gets away. I don’t think it really hurts her, she’s just never liked to be fiddled with.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

You can use a damp paper towel to smooth the fur down and make a “break” to show her skin. :) You can also shave safe spots to inject as you both are adjusting to injections.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.