OT: 4/4 Remembering Crystal one year on.... (video)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by suki & crystal (GA), Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello dear friends

Today is the one year anniversary of my beloved Crystal's passing. Somehow I never did get round to writing a tribute for her, I just wasn't prepared for the overwhelming heartache that I experienced. I still can't quite believe it's a year since she has been gone; there isn't a day that passes that I don't think of her and long to hold her soft little body just one more time, I miss her so much. I know my grief will last as long as my love for her – forever. Like so many of you who have GA's, our time together was never long enough and all we are left with now are sweet memories.

When Crystal was dx with acromegaly and my vet told me the prognosis, I made her a promise that I wouldn't let her suffer.... and I kept my word, as heartbreaking as it was, and helped her cross on the 4th April last year. By then the daily struggle with acromegaly had became just too much for her to bear. I have had many cats before her, and perhaps other kitties will find their forever home with us in the future, but none will ever share the incredible relationship we had, one of complete trust and love that only got deeper once she got sick. She bore all the trials and tribulations of FD and acromegaly with calm tolerance and bravery, with just the occasional growl for vetty's benefit.

This video tribute came about with the help of two very dear friends that I have made through this forum; Marje, who so kindly offered to do all the whizzy technical stuff for me (what a brilliant job she has done producing a beautiful tribute for my special girl:bighug:). And also dear Bron :bighug:, for persuading me to go ahead with it when I had doubts. There are so many new members here on the forum now that perhaps don't know Crystal or her history, so at the risk of repeating it for the few that might remember our time here, this is her journey. Sorry it's so long, but it was rather cathartic writing it all down.

Crystal found her way into our lives in August 2005 as a tiny, weak abandoned kitten about 3 or 4 weeks old. We managed to catch her after hearing her plaintive cries in a friend's garden where she had been hiding. The first photo in the video was taken that very day. She snuggled in close to me and started to lick the crystal heart pendant I was wearing at the time, and somehow the name Crystal seemed appropriate for her, bright and precious. When we brought her home she took one look at our very cat friendly Labrador, Rolo, and promptly spat at him, despite the fact that he could have swallowed her whole; that set the scene for the remainder of his life, what a feisty little mademoiselle she was! Little did I know on that first meeting that this tiny scrap of grey fur would become the feline love of my life.

Crystal was an adorable kitten who grew into a beautiful cat, small and dainty. Unfortunately, her tail didn't grow as fast as the rest of her and remained, shall we say, a little on the short side. My friends often commented on this and John and I used to say she was a new breed, a “French Short Tail”. What it lacked in inches however, it made up for in cattitude. Her tail was white on the underside with beautiful grey mackerel stripes, very unusual. Crystal's tail was always a great barometer of her mood; mostly it was up straight as she was always happy, but when she got excited and naughty, it would twirl madly like a propeller and she would make little excited brrupps and then zoom off on some adventure, which usually involved ambushing and wrestling one of the other 3 civvies, which was one of her favourite pastimes, along with tree climbing and napping in my flower pots. I had endless squashed plants but I could forgive her anything.

Life was good for Crystal for many years; she was happy and healthy and had gardens and fields to roam at her heart's content. She was an accomplished small mammal enthusiast, often bringing home her prey, which even once included a small viper :eek: which she promptly deposited in the kitchen. Naturally this latest offering caused her beans to have near heart failure but somehow we all survived the ensuing chaos.

Crystal was dx with FD in March 2014 after I noticed that she was drinking excessively. Even then I wasn't unduly worried as I had had a diabetic cat many years before and got him OTJ (more with luck than judgement as I never home tested in my ignorance). It wasn't until a few months of non response to the insulin that I started to feel there were other forces at work. I had been lurking on this board for a few months and somehow picked up on acromegaly, which I had never heard of but I thought it could be a possible cause of Crystal's resistance, so I persuaded my vet to run the test in November 2014. She was very reluctant to do it as she said acro was very rare; we now know that's not the case, it just goes undiagnosed, especially here in France. Unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed when Crystal's results came back "off the scale" as vetty put it. I then joined the board full time in a state of total panic and was immediately taken under the expert eyes of members who eventually became my “Team Crystal”:bighug: - Wendy, Julie, Suzanne and Lu-Ann who shared their expert knowledge and advice on acro, and latterly backed up by Marje and Sandy (who tragically lost her own beloved Black Kitty on the same day as Crystal passed) for their invaluable experience with R insulin, which I started using in the never ending battle to bring her numbers down. We suspected, but it was never confirmed, that Crystal also had IAA.

Over the next 18 months Crystal continued to require more and more Lev, (something my vet heartily disapproved of but she eventually had to accept the evidence) but I came to rely more and more on the experience and advice of my mentors, and much hand holding on their part as she went up and up, eventually reaching her peak dose of 60u (together with 26u of R), before finally showing some response (or the suspected IAA broke), and she started coming down the dosing ladder and giving me blues and greens. Unfortunately, by that time, the effects of the acro were really taking hold of her. She also developed cardiomyopathy and neuropathy. One small plus for Crystal was that she got a daily portion of prawns, which she absolutely adored, and I hid her medication in a prawn "gel cap".

I never took any photos of her in the last six months of her life as I wanted always to remember her when she was the prettiest cat in town. Acro is a horrible disease and she showed all the classic signs, it was just so sad to see the deterioration in her and eventually it became evident that her QOL was not good. Her beautiful “Cleopatra" eyes, which were always so expressive, and which seemed to look right into my soul, now seemed dull and sad; it was time to let her go and start her new adventure at the Rainbow Bridge.

Her last day will forever be ingrained on my memory. It was a beautiful spring day here and Crystal spent the morning slowly following me round the garden, visiting her favourite sunbathing spots and talking softly to me all the time, taking in all the sights and memories as if she was saying her goodbyes, and then I moved her bed outside in the sunshine and we sat peacefully together. I am positive she knew her time had come, and she seemed at peace with it. It was the hardest decision I have ever taken but I knew it was the right one for her. She passed peacefully in my arms later that day but for me, when her heart stopped beating, a light went out of my life forever.

My special thanks to my dear friends Bron and Marje, without their love and support in the dark days after Crystal passed life would have indeed been unbearable. Bless you both :bighug: And of course my eternal gratitude to my wonderful “Team Crystal” whose knowledge and experience allowed me to have more precious time with Crystal. I feel that I have truly been blessed with being part of this wonderful caring community, where all of you kind, unselfish people take the time to help and support each other; there really isn't any other place like this. I don't post much these days, but I do look in occasionally to see how a few of Crystal's friends are doing; unfortunately many have now joined her at the Bridge .....where they are happy and whole again and enjoying life, waiting until we meet with them again :bighug:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for Crystal and for me in our time of need.

Suki x

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2022
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to your very special girl, Suki

I remember your trials and tribulations with Crystal quite well, and knew how much it hurt you to let her go when you knew it was her time.

I hope she's sending you occasional reminders that she's healthy, happy and watching over you from the Bridge, where she's still chasing all the small mammals, sniffing all the pretty flowers and laying in the sunshine.

What a wonderful video too. Marje did an excellent job!!

Sending many hugs while you remember your dear Crystal :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suki, I never got to know Crystal before now, but I am very moved by your tribute and the video, what a beauty inside and out.
    I'm so glad you found each other. That bond is such an rare, amazing gift.
    Also sending hugs as you remember your sweet girl with all of us here :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

That's a great tribute to your beautiful Crystal. :bighug: What a great kitty that will be loved forever.

I enjoyed all the pictures in the video. Nice job, Marge and all those who helped.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to your special girl. Sending prayers as you remember her today. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

A beautiful tribute for a beautiful girl. Wishing you peace as you remember her today:bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It is hard to believe that a year has gone by. For you, it must seem an eternity. Sending hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful tribute to your very special girl. It's so very difficult to let them go. :bighug::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Dear Suki)))))
    A wonderful tribute to a beautiful girl. What enormous eyes Crystal had as a kitten and I love the French Short Tail breed! So many lovely photos of her.....she looked a very contented kitty who loved her flower pots!
    Marje did a great job putting together the video.
    I remember so well your struggles and worries with trying to find an insulin dose which would make a difference. You had a great team with Team Crystal who did a wonderful job supporting you and helping you with the Lev and the R dosing. Finally you became an expert with the dosing yourself.
    Acro is indeed a terrible disease and I know how hard it was for you to let Crystal go. But you kept your promise to her.
    Sending many hugs as you remember your beautiful Crystal.......so many wonderful memories to hold onto.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Glennie

Glennie Member

Your written tribute is beautiful, and the video is sweet. So sorry for your loss. It would be nice if that old saying about time healing all were true. What a loving home you gave a poor little abandoned kitty! Hugs to you for that and hugs to you in your loss. :bighug:

11. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Suki, your tribute to Crystal is just beautiful and filled with love... thank you so much for sharing that with us. I feel like I got a chance to know a very special girl through your words and your tribute.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and Crystal today. :bighug:cat_wings>o

suki & crystal (GA) likes this.
  12. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Such a sweet beautiful little girl. A lovely tribute and how wonderful you had taken many pictures through-out her years. My thoughts and prayers are with you today and always. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear (((Suki))),
    Crystal was such a fine kitty. This is a beautiful tribute to her and to your everlasting love for her. I know what a poignant anniversary this is. But your beautiful girl will always be there for you, in that special place in your heart that belongs only to her.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

In loving remembrance,
    Ella & Rusty and GA Stu

15. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

What adorable pics of Crystal, she looks like she was quite the potted plant enthusiast! That is such a nice story of bringing in a lost kitten and she won the kitty lottery with such a caring bean!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with those of us struggling with high dose / acro kitties. I'm sure Crystal is watching from the bridge and smiling at you helping others who are in need.

16. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am crying all over again. This is such a lovely tribute to your dear girl Crystal. I love, love, love the potted cat shots. Especially the one with the daffodils, though I have seen that one of your beautiful girl before. I really hope they have plant pots at the Bridge because that is where both Neko and Crystal will be hanging out together on a sunny day. Thank you for sharing Crystal and her story with us again. Miss you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Suki, my very dear friend, your Crystal is so beautiful and soulful and I thank you for sharing her story and her life. Our grief is so deep because our love is so deep.
    My heart is with you today and I thank you for allowing me to play a small role in Crystal's story. And I know she is always watching over her beloved mama from the Bridge, grateful for all the love and all you did for her through letting her go even though it cost your heart.

Much love to you.

19. suki & crystal (GA)

Thank you all for taking the time to view my tribute to my beloved Crystal, your kind thoughts and understanding means a great deal to me. Today has been a sad, emotional day filled with bittersweet memories but I feel some comfort through posting this Tribute. Although she's gone, I will remember her in my heart always.

Dearest (Bron), thank you for being there always. I hope Sheba and Crystal are making memories together as they sit in the sunshine.:bighug:

@Sandy and Black Kitty - thinking of you (Sandy) as your remember your sweet boy today also :bighug:

Thank you (Karen), I know you have your own heartache to contend with, sending you many :bighug:

She certainly did love her pots Wendy, and I hope she is sunbathing with Neko. :bighug: Thank you for everything you did for us Wendy, your journey with Neko was an inspiration to all of us. :bighug:

Dearest (Marje), you are so right, and it will last until we draw our last breath. Hugs to you always and remembering your own angel, Gracie :bighug:

20. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

What a beautiful story of Crystal's life! I love the way she chose her name.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Crystal was one-of-a-kind. Thanks for sharing her and her beautiful life with us. Wishing you the peace and comfort of all of those wonderful memories captured in photos as you remember your soul kitty today (and every day).

22. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to a girl who was loved endlessly ..... I am so sorry for the hurt in your heart. I hope seeing the love in her eyes for you gives you some comfort.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Suki:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    It's hard to believe that it's been a year.
    Thanks for sharing crystals story, the video reflects what a special kitty she was.
    I love the flower pot pics, her short little tail and her soulful eyes. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Such a lovely tribute to a very special girl. Her eyes were indeed amazing - eyeliner any lady would envy! I remember your struggle in the early days, and how expert you became at managing the two insulins and keeping her in good numbers. Your devotion was inspirational. I don't think I knew the story of how she got her name, but I love it. With time, the good memories seem to overshadow the dark days, and though tears will flow, there are equal numbers of happy tears and sad. How lucky we are to share these precious lives!

I'm sure Crystal has claimed a very large, comfy pot with a healthy crop of something yummy growing in it at the Bridge, as she waits for the day you will be reunited.

25. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute Suki, whoever said grown men don't cry never met an animal person.

26. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful furbaby. Thank you for sharing her spirit. Love those potted plant shots !! She was definitely happy in those pots. May you find peace. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

Beautiful... filled with love.

28. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Such a nice tribute to your sweet girl. I know all of our kitties are hanging out at the bridge.
    Thinking of you,:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I feel so much the same. Continued prayers for your grieving heart.
    But look forward to some day getting to hold her again....

30. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

((((Suki)))) I'm so glad I saw your post remembering Crystal! What a wonderful video tribute to her - although it's made my eyes all leaky.

@Marje and Gracie - it's a lovely video! I think my favorite picture is the one with her belly up in the pot - maybe next to a tree or shrub. I remember when you first posted that one - it's so charming and she looks so very comfy. Of course, there are other sweet ones too, like the daffodil pot (hahahahaha) and parked in the bread basket, and snuggling with her buddy. The picture of you holding her is just perfect. Crystal was a treasure - one of those heart kitties that, only if we are lucky, are we blessed with at some time in our lives. I feel that way about Punkin too.

It was an honor being part of Crystal's team. You did such a wonderful job with her - it was a difficult task and she was blessed to have you as captain of her team!

Wish I could stow away in Marje's suitcase and come see you in France! Sending lots of love your way as you remember your sweet Crystal. [​IMG]

31. suki & crystal (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug: it's certainly tough adding acro into the FD mix but I hope Bronx is doing well, scritches to your sweet boy.

(((Tricia))) She wasn't one for sharing, especially a pot, but I'm hoping she's chillin' with Cinco, Minka, Sasha and Harvey - thanks for thinking of us, I miss your THoC condos! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I certainly hope so too Peg, and remembering dear Toby :bighug::bighug::bighug:

(((Rhiannon))) I know you miss your Shadow as much as I miss Crystal, they were indeed our soul kitties :bighug::bighug::bighug:

(((Julie))) as one of the Founder Members of TC I'm so glad you looked in and saw Crystal's Tribute, I couldn't have done it without your help (and Angel Punkin's experiences) :bighug::bighug::bighug: You are so right about being blessed with these once in a lifetime kitties; I love my 3 civvies dearly but it's just not the same relationship.
    Any time you are this side of the Pond, please come and visit us, would love to meet with you. I'm just SO excited about Marje's visit:):joyful::), what wonderful friends I've met through this forum.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who took the time to read my Tribute to Crystal and watch her video, you are just the most amazing group of beans, and it's been an honour to get to know you and your furbabies over the last few years. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Suki xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.