Phos binder ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jayla-n-Drevon, Jan 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Has anyone used NARAQUIN for a phos binder?

The vet says it attacks in multiple ways, just curious if anyone has used it and had success.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see, Jayla. Hope al is well (though asking about Naraquin means something's up). I never used it but here is a list of the ingredients:

Naraquin
    Company: Nutramax Labs.

DIETARY PHOSPHATE BINDER+RENAL SUPPORT SUPPLEMENT

Active Ingredients
    Ferric Citrate 150 mg

Yeast Extract and Marine Lipids^ 140 mg

Total Omega-3 25 mg

Calcium Acetate 40 mg

Chitosan 40 mg

Other Ingredients: dried glucose syrup, dextrose monohydrate, FD&C yellow no. 5, fish oil (mixed tocopherols, ascorbyl palmitate), gelatin, magnesium stearate, natural and artificial flavor, silicon dioxide, sodium ascorbate, sodium caseinate, starch, titanium dioxide.

^NMX580®, a proprietary blend formulated with marine lipids and beta (1,3)/(1,6) glucan
    The glucose and fish oil combination sounds downright tasty. :eek:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Calcium Acetate 40 mg is the binder. Tanya's CKD site says:

Calcium Acetate

The calcium acetates (e.g. PhosLo) bind 2-3 times as much phosphorus as calcium carbonate (e.g. Tums). On the other hand, they are more likely to cause elevated calcium levels in the blood (hypercalcaemia). They also do not bind as much phosphorus as aluminium hydroxide or lanthanum carbonate binders.

https://felinecrf.org/phosphorus_binders.htm#calcium_binders

I myuself never used it and would not since there are better binders. I have used aluminium hydroxide bider is the past.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Jayla…it is so good to see you :bighug:

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I Always used this Aluminum Hydroxide but I would purchase it from my vet she always had it in stock, forgot how much I paid for it, My kitty never tasted it in his food, it's tasteless and odorless of course your vet would have to tell you how much to give , at one point I had to reduce it. This was 2 years ago , my kitty has passed away since then. This was Tyler's brother Perry

[​IMG]
    https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product...MImJ_PxL_w_AIVOf3jBx3sagF1EAQYAiABEgIw2_D_BwE

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

Thank you for the info.....it is for a friend of mine and the dr said it attacks the phos 3 ways, sounded to be too good to be true!
    I lost my shop cat to hyperkalemia -- we used phos-bind and I had never heard of this but it was very fast when she was dx....we miss her

7. jayla-n-Drevon

HI there!!
    Thank you for the info :). I am actually asking for a senior kitty (not mine) whose values are off the charts. I lost Rico a few years ago then Drevon
    a year later he was so depressed without Rico it was heartbreaking. I was with them both as they crossed and it was peaceful.

8. jayla-n-Drevon

I just noticed there is syrup and dex aka sugar! I will let her know -thank you

9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi, it says it has Chitosan, it is a crustacean that is supposed to help with phosphorus too but does have a shellfish taste and odor that not all cats and dogs like and could cause some allergy issues, I use Renvela as a phosphorus binder is worked fine so far

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.