Please HELP** heavy/rapid breathing Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Tiberious, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Tiberious

Susan and Tiberious Member

I'm at my breaking point!!

I have been @ the Vet's office twice today- and 2 different ( a new and my regular). Tiberious' breathing is fast and heavy- he's not panting just looks like the breathing is very labored. He's still eating/peeing/pooping and his temp is normal. The vets have listened to his heart/lungs and given SubQ's today. Neither cld tell me why or make him any more comfortable. They sent me off with the number to the Emergency vet if i need it tonight. I asked if they thought he was in pain, my regular vet said prob just discomfort. Is it possible that this may be a symptom of FD? His BG was high all day. I feel so bad. I've been crying all day not knowing what to do. I told myself that I would only continue to treat him if he has good quality of life. I can't stand to think that he might be hurting really bad, and I'm drawing it out causing him to suffer. Please, any advice /info??

@ my wits end-Susan

2. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

Hi Susan,

I can not really advice you, but I want you to know that someone is here for you while waiting for help.

Did this start before or after Tiberious ate the clay litter?

3. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

did they do a bp on him???? that can cause rapid breathing! my gumpy girl was prescribed some meds for that and it really really helped her

4. jackie

jackie Member

Hi-
    I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble with Tiberious. It's so hard to see our babies suffering, and really frustrating when the vets can't or won't tell you anything. Did the vets do any blood tests or urine tests or give you any other information? Labored breathing can be a sign of ketones. Do you home test for these? You can get Ketostix at any drugstore. Hang in there!
    Jackie

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm here too!
    Those vets just sending you home with T like that is just unacceptable.
    Not even an oxygen mask for awhile????
    Damn...
    talk to us, tell us more if you can.

6. Susan and Tiberious

-Before

7. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

FYI:

Susan has another thread going in Lantus land, and has had some correspondence going on there.

Edit: Sorry Susan....just wanted to let people reading this thread that you are getting some advice. Hope things are getting better!

8. Susan,
    I saw in your other thread that his PMPS was 374. You gave him his shot tonight, right? And you also say he's eating okay? Is he moving around at all, or just laying around breathing heavy?
    Did you discuss, and did the vet rule out anemia?
    Carl

9. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

Did you mention that behavior (eating the litter) to the vet? Just thinking that it could be another symptom of what could be going on.

10. Susan and Tiberious

The vet ruled out anemia based on blood work.. I too thought that this was a possibility. Both vets i took him to today ( my reg and a new for a second opinion ) were not able to give a diagnoses. I will call the vet and ask about an xray again, as they said @ this point it did not warrant one. I'm almost depleted on $ that I have to go any further. I now that sounds terrible, but I know that i cannot afford 600-1000 more. Which is the estimate i was given. My usual vet advised to continue to watch him- gv me the number for emerg ER. I'm hoping that this is FD related and that getting his BG in mu=ore of a normal range will help, and if not then I go from there. Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions/support/advice/ and encouragement!! I will keep you posted!! Wish us luck

11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Susan,

How is he doing this morning?

12. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Wondering about your baby Tiberious ??? Please let us know

13. Susan and Tiberious

Tiberious is eating and drinking and using the litter box. His breathing seems to be the same. I spoke with the vet ( as I'm concerned for his quality of life) who told me to to continue with treating the diabetes for the next couple of days and getting his BG under control to see if that has an affect on him, and go from there. The vet (which is my reg one) is awesome and would give me straight talk when needed. He told me that Tiberious, after seeing him yesterday does not seem to be in pain. I will continue to monitor him and hope and pray for the best. Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.

Best

14. Jessica & Boo Radley

Jessica & Boo Radley Member

I didn't see any indication that Ketones were tested. Kussmaul respiration are very common in DKA as the body attempts rid the extra metabolic acids caused by the breakdown of non glucose sources for energy. This compensatory mechanism for healthy patients, can actually worsen the problem for diabetic ones, so if Ketones have not been checked, they really should as soon as possible.

15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Susan:

Do you have ketostix that you can check his urine at home? You can buy them at the pharmacy for about $15. Just catch a little urine and dip the stick in for 15 seconds and check against the chart. Of course...read the directions because I don't know how many kinds of ketostix are out there...I use the Clinistix. It's a good habit to get into esp when numbers are high. We do routine ketone testing.

Some folks hold a soup spoon under the kitty as it squats. I make little foil trays and slip them under Gracie's bottom and she pees in the tray. Pls let us know if you have ketostix or have checked ketones yesterday/today.

16. Susan and Tiberious

No I haven't been testing for Ketones.
    I will go and get the ketostix and test asap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.