PM DOSE NEEDED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather&Harrison, Jan 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Hey guys. So we've been reducing and he is still quite low again today so my hubby and I are debating going to .5u and skip .75u ?

Is it important to only reduce does by .25u? We just feel from the way he is getting so low that we should back off more than .25u for this evenings dose? Obviously depending on what his PMPS numbers are like. But I have a feeling he wont be super high.

Thank you!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No, one should reduce dose by any amount to help avoid going too low. With low does it is highly recommended that increases be made in 1/4 unit increments

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Heather,

My but your boy's in a hurry! :cat: (((Harrison)))

If it was my cat getting these numbers, I'd try the 0.5IU dose, especially for a night time cycle (lower if I couldn't monitor the whole cycle). Since Caninsulin is an in-out insulin, there's no depot to muck up. If the 0.5 proves insufficient you can always increase again.

Mogs

4. Critter Mom

BTW, Harrison, with his magnificent bearing, reminded me of an actor and I tried for days to remember which one, to no avail. Yesterday the relevant synapses finally fired: Peterr Wyngarde.

Wyngarde had that same regal quality in the way he carried himself. He spoke the English language beautifully, frequently with a delicious hint of ennui in his delivery. Among other roles, he played Klytus in Flash Gordon. Now when I see Harrision's picture I imagine him looking at us mere humans and thinking to himself in a rather imperious but somewhat jaded voice: "Oh dear. How pathetic."

(There's no hope for me. :oops:)

:D

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Reason for edit: Punctuation.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd probably try 0.75 but if it makes you nervous then do 0.5. You could always raise it if it's not enough.

Heather&Harrison likes this.
  6. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Okay ps was 10.3/185. Im gonna give him .05u

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Ill have to google him. Thanks for telling him. We both laughed.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Wyngarde plays evil nobleman Sir Guy de Michelin in the following clip (fast forward to 5:57, unless you like the Two Ronnies, in which case the whole sketch is worth a watch!):

Mogs

9. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Okay ps was 10.3/185. Im gonnagive him .05u or should I skip ?

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Can you hang fire for a few minutes please, Heather? Looking at spreadsheet. BRB...

Mogs

11. Critter Mom

I'd go with 0.25IU if able to monitor, else skip. (If history of ketones, recommend doing a urine test.)

Mogs

12. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Okay. .25u it is. I have the pee strips but theres no history of ketones. But i definitely need to to learn more about that. Is there a link ? Thank you so much mogs.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

14. Critter Mom

Hi Heather,

I see Harrison had a very smooth cycle last night. While a little flat, the numbers were in a fairly good range (no bouncies!). If he does similar today, I'd suggest considering 0.5IU this evening (provided you're OK to monitor for that cycle). What do you think yourself?

Mogs

15. Critter Mom

Hi Heather,

Just seen Harrison's numbers for today. He's doing well on the 0.25IU dose. :cat:

I'd suggest sticking with 0.25IU tonight - unless he throws you a curve ball and drops lower during the rest of the cycle. (Note: Other members may make different suggestions but I think nadirs in the 5s are very good on this particular insulin.)

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  16. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Hi Mogs. Thanks for checking in on us. We really appreciate it.

So yeah we feel like the .25u is working well and we will continue with .25u tonight too.

Can he dip into a hypoglycemic range with out the insulin dose?

17. Critter Mom

Hi Heather,

Nice AM cycle today. :cat:

With an in-out insulin of short duration, provided a kitty is in safe numbers at time of preshot test there should not be a risk of hypo. (If a cat was in very low numbers at preshot time then additional monitoring after skipping the dose would be needed till BG rose again, reason being that some carryover from the previous dose is possible (though not common with Vetsulin). Once numbers have risen to a safe range and stayed up without any food following a skipped dose of an in-out insulin, then there's no endogenous insulin left in the system to cause a hypo.

How's Harrison acting/feeling? Well, I hope. (((Harrison)))

Mogs

18. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Thanks again Mogs. Good info to know.

Harrison has been really great lately. Purring and playing with his toys. His peeing is back to normal. Hasn't peed out side the box in 2 days. He is pretty chill now with the BG testing. My hubby tested him on his own last night and he was really calm throughout the testing. Everything seems good so far.

How do we know if he is going into remission?

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

So he is @ 8.1 PMPS. This morning he was 9.9 and dropped to 5.2. I think we are going to skip this evenings dose.

What do you think?

20. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ooooo loving these numbers

Critter Mom and Heather&Harrison like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.