Possible IBD,please help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ilianna and Socrates, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/socrates-to-the-vet-again.241771/
    I have spent all weekend online looking for answers,trying to understand what is happening with Socrates.Unfortunately,the vet told me very little,he doesn't seem to care that much...
    judging by the symptoms and the blood work,I assume that he has IBD or cancer.I read that the symptoms are the same...Diarrhea,bloating,low energy..He is eating,but stopped asking for food all day and he is not that thirsty...His BG is still high though.
    PLEASE if anyone has experience with bowel disease,tell me if you recognize any of this...I will call the vet again tommorow and give him a stool sample .
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd suggest checking out the Facebook group, Raw Feeding for IBD Cats. They have a wealth of information about IBD and are very willing to share. They have a webpage that has tons of information, as well. The Facebook page is interactive (obviously) and they are responsive to questions.

Ilianna and Socrates likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Symptoms for IBD or small cell lymphoma can vary from cat to cat. On my three so far, I've been primarily blessed with vomiting. :rolleyes: Here is another website to look it, some overlap with the one Sienne linked. https://www.ibdkitties.net/

Treatments for the two conditions are different, so it's a good idea to figure out what you are dealing with first.

Side note, we can't tell he's in high BG numbers all day if there are no mid cycle tests.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

There is also a Facebook group called IBDKitties which is very good. It’s a closed group so you have to ask to join, and the people are very helpful

5. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

Today we went at the clinic again for additional testing. He had an ultrasound which showed thickening of the bowel tissue, consistent with IBD of lymphoma,as I suspected..He will have some more blood tests tomorrow and maybe a colonoscopy later. The vet explained everything and we all hope he gets better withnIBD treatment for the moment..I will join the fb group for IBD asap!

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  6. Susan & Andy

Susan & Andy New Member

Your situation with Socrates sounds like what I went thru with my Sasha. Are you feeding Socrates dry or can food? My Sasha had lost a little weight after I started her on a wet food that had less calories in it...... she needed to loose a pound or two, and she only ate can food. One night she had a high fever and wasn't moving. I rushed her to the ER, and they said she had severe inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal lymphoma. They wanted to keep her and start some IV antibiotics..... to which I said ok. On the second day she was there, the vet told me they couldn't get her to eat. I had already started searching the internet, and there are a lot of articles on how bad carrageenan is for cats....... can cause severe bowel inflammation. I looked, and her favorite food I had been feeding her for not quite a year had carrageenan high on the list. I bought some Fancy Feast that did not have carrageenan in it, and when I would visit her at the vet, she would eat for me. She ended up staying at the vet ($$$$) for three nights, with me going to visit her every day. They wanted to do a colonoscopy and/or open her up to get an intestinal biopsy. I couldn't put her thru all that, and ended up bringing her home on the fourth day. She was sooooooo sick, and I was afraid she was going to die there in a cage all alone. That was Saturday morning, and I made an appointment with my vet on Monday because I thought I was going to have to let her go. Miraculously, on Sunday afternoon, she started to perk up and feel better! I ended up using that Monday appointment for a check-up! She still wasn't her normal self yet, but she was eating and using the litter box. I made sure I never fed her a can of food with carrageenan in it. After a few weeks, she was back to her normal self, and all was well! I just noticed you posted this in December. I hope Socrates got better and is ok ❤️

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.