Possible storms. Concerned about power outages / insulin in fridge.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shell, May 21, 2024.

1. Shell

Shell Member

I have not experienced a power outage while storing insulin before. But, there could be strong storms in the area later. In preparation for Summer and the storms and occasional power outages that can happen, what are some measures I can take to ensure I do my best to keep it good if there is a loss of power?

My ideas were to store it in a cooler on a frozen cooler pack? Or is it better to just store it in the fridge if that happens?

If anything, I will just have to order another one, if and when such a thing happens.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Shell

Shell Member

Thanks so much! This is the greatest! I was just curious if you are familiar with Novolin that was mentioned as a temporary OTC substitute should insulin not be immediately available. I did not know that. It says the dose can be hard to find. I suppose I will cross that bridge if I ever have to get to it. But, I am always thinking way ahead to be prepared. So, fingers crossed for keeping the power this evening.

Thanks again!!!

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Novolin is an absolute last choice and a person should post on the forum asking for help with the dose. It is not a good insulin for cats.

The Frio pouches are good to have on hand. The large one holds 4 pens or 6 vials.
    Frio pouch

Shell and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  5. Shell

Shell Member

Good to know. I was not feeling good about it. I'd rather just ask the doctor for a new one if a power loss ever causes it to lose it's effect.