Question about bouncing and Lantus increase

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Liamcuff1, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Sorry I know I haven’t finished my chart but I’m still getting Lantus alpha trek2 results and I’m stressed today.

Bodhi was on 7 units of Humulin N , while eating twice daily half a can of Hills md wet (13% carbs) and 1/4 cup of Hills md dry (15% carbs). He was doing well and lowest nadir was 90. I switched him to Lantus bc his bg was going up SOME but not all nights due to the shorter insulin duration, to the 500s. Now with Lantus, we have him .75 cans of hills md can twice a day, and no dry food. Started at 2u twice daily. Then we went to .5 cans and a little bit of Tiki Cat to lower the carbs.... I do tons a blood glucose checks and it has never been lower than 245, and after giving tiki cat it is even higher.. he’s now on 6 units of Lantus . How long should I hold this dose before going to seven, and should I go back to his old diet even though it was more carbs?? Maybe even just go back to Humulin? His numbers are around 700 today and there is no low nadir ever on Lantus hence I can’t see it being a bounce. Maybe Wonki new period of Lantus increase? My vet says he might just be one of those cats that needs a lot of insulin.. Please advise and sorry I will get my chart up soon. I’m just so stressed bc he peed on our rug today and never does that. Thanks again!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Once you get your spreadsheet set up we can try to figure this out. How big have your increases been? Start reading the yellow stickies at the top of this forum. Begin withe dosing methods used here. If you can’t get a ss set up quickly. The out the tests and results for the last couple weeks here. We ask that people start in the main forum at first and post an introduction first. Folks there will help you get set up.

3. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Last couple weeks on Humulin bw 90 and 300, a few hours of 500 at the end. Switch the Lantus: 3 days of 2u: all numbers from shot to shot were high 500s. 2 days in 4 units (dr said to go to four since he was on 7 on Humulin). Numbers in high 700s, no nadir. 5 days 5U, from 700 down to high 200s by second shot. 2 days 6U 400-700 range, no nadir... I’m working on my spreadsheet... is it possible to miss a bounce when there are no low numbers? Vet thinks he just needs a lot of insulin. Note that I have been doing 12 hour curves almost daily and haven’t seen a low number since he was in 7u of Humulin

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m lost without a spreadsheet. Would you please set one up?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Once you get that spreadsheet completed, we can help you. Without knowing when the tests were in relation to the shot times, we can't help tell you if he needs a larger dose of insulin or is just bouncing. If you need help with the spreadsheet, let us know, there are people who can help you get one started.