Question about food, please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Hi! I am hopelessly confused by the whole food thing, carbs-proteins-percentages-brands, the food chart, etc. :eek:

So in my clueless state, I'm wondering if someone can tell me if Instinct Original Grain Free Pate, Real Lamb Recipe 95% is a high protein food? And if it's a good healthy food? Squeaky seems to really like it.

Thanks a bunch.:bighug: :)

Jan and Squeaky :cat:

O'Henry likes this.
  2. O'Henry

O'Henry New Member

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The Instinct is NOT high in protein -- it's 10% protein but it IS low carb. Comparing it to a high quality low carb food like Weruva (see p. 59 on the chart that Bron provided), the Weruva is around 50% or more protein. The low carb varieties of Fancy Feast are mostly over 40% protein.

JanetNJ and Jan D & Squeaky like this.
  5. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

I think if Squeaky and his bowels like it, stick with it :D

Critter Mom and Jan D & Squeaky like this.
  6. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody. I can't read that chart it is too complicated. The vet, well, about food she seems to be out to lunch herself. She recommended one of those prescription diets which are horrible.

Okay if Instinct is low carb that is probably good enough. He gets lots of protein from the raw meat I feed him alongside some canned food. I can look into the Weruva as a second option.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to answer! Much appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  7. Angelaf44

Angelaf44 Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I have a question. The guaranteed analysis for the Instinct Lamb is 10% protein. If you calculate that as ME protein (as Dr Lisa does) it would be much higher, similar to Weruva. The guaranteed analysis for most Weruva foods is 8%-10%.

Am I misunderstanding something or are they not very similar in terms of protein? Instinct is an excellent food.

Thanks!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I didn't do all of the calculations. It lists 10% protein in the analysis. vs other foods that list considerably higher protein levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.