question about inhaler for asthma or multivitamin affecting bg

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kalypso, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalypso

kalypso Member

Hello!
    My friend Dionysia wants me to ask about her cat Liza who is in remission, if it is possible for her bg to rise due to any or all of the following:
    a) flixotide (fluticasone) inhaler 125mg, two puffs twice a day
    b) Purina gastrointestinal wet food, which is around 10-11% Kcals from carbs
    c) multivitamin gel (it is named nutriforce)
    Liza's diabetes was initially caused by cortisone injection to treat her asthma, and she is currently also having some gi issues.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

a) Fluticasone is an inhaled glucosteroid and thus can raise BG
    b) Purina gastrointestinal wet food, which is around 10-11% Kcals from carbs will raise BG more than lower carb foods but I think very little
    c) multivitamin gel (it is named nutriforce) couod raise BG a little if it contains a sugar. What are ingredients? Sugar may be an inert ingredient and not listed

kalypso likes this.
  3. kalypso

kalypso Member

Thank you for your reply Larry!
    I thought the inhaler wouldn't affect bg as it targets the respiratory system.
    The gel doesn't list sugar, it lists vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, amino acids, oligo elements and energy.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This could be a sugar.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Typically inhaled steroids will have less effect on blood glucose levels than oral steroids, but it's still possible for it to have a small effect on bg. If the bg increases when the inhaler started, that could be the case... but given the risk of asthma and the increased risk of oral steroids on blood glucose, it may not be worth the risk to change asthma treatment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.