Question on next dose Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heyzeus, Sep 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heyzeus

Heyzeus New Member

Hihi,
    Question: Should I drop Lion's next dose from 1U to 0.75U instead of waiting out the week, considering the recent reading of 86 and his previous very high dosage (potential ketone concerns)? This seems to be what the guide says, but I want to make sure with his situation.

After the scare from 15U and 8U, we decided on a 1U starter dose (rather than 0.5 to help mitigate ketones, of which he tested negative again about 4hr ago) and the plan was to run with that for 1 week and adjust from there. After 3 total injections at 1U, he got a reading of 86 at +3.25 after the latest PM shot. Between +2.5 and +3.5 seems to be close to nadir timing for him at the moment, it is now about +3.75 at the time of the post, he is doing well.

Previous thread after a low BG scare with some backstory - thanks everyone who helped out!
    QRD: Brought Lionheart home on 09/17 with a prescribed dosage of 15U Vetsulin, fur shot that day and decided to drop to 8U on the 09/18 AM shot after reading more. Started dosing 1U that PM, and have done 3 total doses at 1U now with the 19th PM shot being about 4 hours ago

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Heyzeus

Heyzeus New Member

Quick update, did a ketone check at about +10 hours from the dose last night and it came back negative. Just took his AMPS earlier and it was 225 so I will go ahead and inject at 0.75U in about 10 minutes.

Finally got ahold of the vet office this morning and explained the situation. The vet was not in yet so they will be calling back, but a different lady answered the phone and did confirm that it is marked down that he's supposed to be on 15U of insulin - and rather snarkily added that human meters are not accurate for pets and that they have tested at least 15 different meters which don't match up to their instruments.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Human meters work fine they are just a different scale from the pet meters. They are similar in numbers in low ranges and far apart in upper ranges.

Great job testing! I can't imagine what would have happened if you blindly shot 15 units. Actually I can, your cat probably would have died.

Heyzeus likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like this 0.75 dose. Hold it a few days and let's see what happens. Your cat is so lucky to have you researching and advocating for him.

Heyzeus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.