Ramone 10/01 - bloodwork done

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jerica&ramone, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Hello,
    Been a while since I posted about Ramone. He's been doing pretty good! We had a full check up today & blood work, did not do UA. Steady weight, good heart beat and blood pressure!

I have a couple questions though on the bloodwork, my vet wasn't overly concerned with anything but I had a few questions that I wanted to bring up here and see if I could get any input.

His Fructosamine was 420 ... which is a tad high isn't it? Should I be trying to get his BG #'s lower and increase dose a bit? Would that lower fructoasmine? I'm not even 100% sure what fructosamine reading means/is.

Also his cholesterol was a bit high at 7.06 - is there anything I should be doing to attempt to bring that down.

And final question - his total protein was higher too at 95. He eats, Young Again and Fancy Feast.

All these 3 readings show just slightly above normal, and my vet said all of it was fine, and not that I don't trust her, I just would like to hear any thoughts/input in regards to this.

Thanks so much, hope you are all doing well!

( I'm in Canada, I don't know if #'s read differently etc from other parts of the world etc )

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From this post: Reference Ranges for Fructosamine Test in the Health Links forum:
    Treated diabetic cats:
    Excellent control 350 - 400
    Good control 400 - 450
    Fair control 450 - 500
    Poor control >500

That puts him in the good control category. However, I'd still recommend getting a few mid cycles tests, including at night. And if you are doing SLGS, you should be doing a curve once a week. And you are missing reductions. With SLGS, you reduce when they go under 90. He hit 76 on 4.25 units, yet you increased a couple days later. A couple days ago was an 85, which also means a 0.25 unit reduction. If you can't test as much, you really need to take reductions when earned, in order to keep him safe.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A high TP can be an indicator of dehydration. If the Young agai is dry, then I would try to get Ramone to dring more water.