Recommendations for blood ketone meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I see there are two meters, the Nova Max Plus Glucose & the Precision Xtra. Anyone have any suggestions? Any info on which is better or easier to get strips for?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Both are fairly common here along with the Keto-mojo

You really can choose whichever you want but be aware that the strips for ketones are often up to $2 each (but if you can't get a urine sample to check urine ketones or there's a history of ketones and you want to know early, the blood ketone meters are the way to go!)

Barbara and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

As Chris comments above a blood beta ketone (BBK) meter is invaluable if you need to know in a hurry what a cat's ketone levels are, for example when caring for a cat who is poorly or recovering from a surgical procedure. I have the Freestyle Optium Neo. With the appropriate strips you can use the meter to monitor both glucose and ketone levels. I only used it to check ketones (used an Alphatrak for BG).

ETA: I think a BBK meter is a very wise investment for cats who are ketone-prone or with a history of DKA.

Mogs

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I use the keto MOJO meter which I got off amazon

5. Critter Mom

Another situation where BBK meters are invaluable: multi-cat households where cats share litterboxes (saves having to sequester the diabetic kitty in the bathroom for hours on end until it pees so you can collect samples).

Mogs

6. Critter Mom

Another situation where a BBK meter may be very helpful is when it's difficult to collect urine samples, e.g. where a cat has problems with urinary incontinence due to neuropathy, or where it does its toileting outdoors.

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Ummlee and Vengeance

Ummlee and Vengeance Member

I got one of the Precison Xtra Ketone meters got it new off ebay with shipping the meter alone(came with no strips) cost me 30 USD https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Xtra-Blood-Glucose-and-Ketone-Monitoring-System-Meter-NEW/323710398066?epid=23032265818&hash=item4b5ea4ae72:g:48sAAOSw4nhZ7gRE Seller had a lot of them but is down to a few maybe they will get more in
    I had bought another brand off amazon but it kept giving errors and I tested it on the cat and me..

then I found the strips themselves on Amazon 30 for 34.81 with Tax USD 2 day shipped with Prime.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MPEOOK/

for me the decision to go with the blood meter was that its much simpler to grab a extra drop of blood thou the Xtra does take a larger drop of blood than most BG meters , but I just milk his ear and test both BG and Ketone at the same time.. the waiting for him to go pee and me shoving my hand under his butt to try and get in the stream was like a challenge off a game show lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.