Remission - Zobaline still?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wally, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally

Wally New Member

I barely signed up for the Forum and Wally started into remission - after a scary night in the emergency vet we have been able to stop insulin and his blood glucose numbers have been in the normal cat range. (Of course I had just purchased a new bottle of Lantus and had only given him 3-4 shots!) I had also bought Zobaline as he was walking on his hocks - and couldn't walk far without laying down. His walking looks much better, but he still needs to rest after a short distance walking.

Would Zobaline help? Do you use it if they are in remission? He is an old guy but he seems to be a little short on stamina even so. Thank you!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I would continue to give it

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would continue with the Zobaline as well
    Can you tell us what Wallys BGs have been please?
    It is unusual that he would go into remission and still have a neuropathy problem where he was walking on his hocks and having to lie down frequently.

4. Wally

Wally New Member

Thank you. I had just received the Zobaline as the change happened and only used it once -(does it turn red when crushed on food?)

He is off insulin and his BGs Sunday were:

6:00am: 138
    Noon: 119
    5:00pm 126

He seems to be slowly getting his stamina back - just wondering if the Zobaline would help the process now.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I cant hurt. I would continue it
    If Wally is still having problems walking I would take him back to the Vet with this concern.

He sure is a cutie!

Wally and Critter Mom like this.
  6. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

Yes, it turns red when crushed into food. freaked me out at first.....I would continue it too.

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    I will always give the Zobaline. Tina has been on it for a year, and has been in remission for eight months. It is a habit I don't feel the need to stop.
    She improved and was able to walk and hop again after 2-3 months in good BG territory. Good BG control helps the most, but I firmly believe in the boost from the bright pink Zobaline!

Twelve isn't that old for a kitty, Wally said to tell you:cat:. The BG numbers aren't bad, but seem a tad high on a human meter, for a cat in remission. Maybe not if after eating though. My vet thought Zobaline was a gimmick, and good BG was all that would help neuropathy. He was wrong on a few other issues, diabetes included, so I understood what he meant but went a different route.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

I agree with Tina Marie and Jan those numbers aren't bad but they seem too high for Wally to be in remission
    Can you set up a spreadsheet and put all his numbers in so we can see and see if he is in remission

Wally and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Deb,

It's great to hear Wally's doing so well. :)

I agree with other members: I'd keep giving the Zobaline. Even with better BG regulation, it takes time for the nerves to heal when recovering from neuropathy and adequate B12 methylcobalamin is needed for that healing process. B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. Anything surplus to requirements gets pee'd out.

As other members above have commented, Wally's off-insulin levels are hovering around the top of the normal BG range. I'd suggest keeping up daily testing (couple of spot-checks each day at different times, probably paying a little extra attention to the first hour or so after meals to catch whether food might start bumping Wallly's BG into the diabetic range) for the time being. This precautionary approach should help you to catch and respond to any upward drift in BG levels (just in case the remission might not hold this time).

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  11. Goose

Goose Member

Hi All.

Do Daa has had this issue on and off for awhile and does seem to want to lie down frequently.

Is this the Zobaline everyone is talking about? What would be the dosage? One pill a day?

https://www.amazon.com/ZobalineTM-Diabetic-Cats-60-tabs/dp/B008G3LI2M

Thanks!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  12. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

jt and trouble (GA) and Goose like this.
  13. Wally

Wally New Member

Thanks for all your input. I will try to get to the spreadsheet - long work hours are currently getting in the way of getting things done, but I will continue to monitor BG meanwhile. Interesting thing this am - I gave him his Zobaline for the first time since the trip to the ER - and about 15 minutes after he ate he started purring like I have never heard before! Anyone notice this? Is this also a "happy" pill? :smuggrin:

14. jt and trouble (GA)

lol happy cat!
    If you need help setting up your spread sheet just ask. We have a few members here that can make that can do that!

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. WilbursPerson

WilbursPerson Member

Wilbur had neuropathy so bad he struggled to jump on the couch. He was on basaglar from November 2019 to January 2020 and has been off since. We started Zobaline in December 2019. Between the improved glucoses and the Zobaline, he can make 95% of all the jumps he used to make, can run, and only people who know can see a slight limp.

The Zobaline won’t hurt him since it’s all water soluble vitamins and we plan to keep him on it indefinitely (specialty vet agrees). I know it’s not the only reason his neuropathy is better but we credit it with a significant part of the improvement. We get it from amazon.

16. Wally

Wally New Member

That is nice to hear! It is great that your vet is in agreement, too. My guy is doing better - I saw him on the back of the couch this morning - that is higher than he has been jumping.

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Yaaaaay!:bighug:

18. tgosh

tgosh New Member

Zobaline seems to be unavailable on Amazon??? Anybody else experiencing this?

Has anyone just used the same B12 as a human would take?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  19. jt and trouble (GA)

yes people DO take it. Go to your local health food store they SHOULD stock it. Thats where I use to get mine. But not under that name it was just called Mythel-B12. Comes in tablets that are easily crushed. I added one crushed tablet to EACH of Troubles meals. It cannot be overdosed as they just pee out the extra.
    hope this helps!
    jeanne

20. jt and trouble (GA)

To clarify, regular B12 is not the same as, mythel b12

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Here is the link https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
    Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
    It's 17.99 just be sure this is the one you buy
    The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
    So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
    If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
    The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
    Has no taste, no need to crush it up
    The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
    I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

• SKU #: 835003001804
    • Shipping Weight: 0.23 lb
    • Servings: 100
    [​IMG]

22. tgosh

tgosh New Member

Thank you everyone for your advice on B12

23. tgosh

tgosh New Member

My vet is suggesting B12 shots - has anyone had positive results with this versus the oral form?

24. jt and trouble (GA)

It depends. MB12 is different than a regular B12 shot. (I dont know how to explain the difference but have seen it here many times.

Hopefully someone who can explain it will add their insight.

25. tgosh

tgosh New Member

So the oral is better for the neuropathy?

26. jt and trouble (GA)

I use to crush one tablet onto EVERY meal Trouble ate. Back then each tab was 3000 mg's

27. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It's the type of B12 that matters. Usually the type contained in vet-administered injections is B12 cyanocobalamin. The type that helps neuropathy is B12 methylcobalamin so people normally give this as an oral rather than a parenteral supplement.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.