Saoirse - OTJ Trial Day 3 (GI Problems Again)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Critter Mom, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all,

After Thursday night's white knuckle ride, it appears that my little stoirín is looking for an OTJ trial. (Heartfelt thanks again to Mel for seeing us through safely! :smile: )

The rest of Trial Day 1 wasn't much to report. Mammy bean was shattered and very grateful for her bank of timed feeders to ensure Saoirse ate regularly. Alas! but I missed the time for her PM BG check. I hope that still counts as a day towards the trial.

Saoirse snuggled up to sleep beside me yestereve! Bliss!!! When I regained consciousness this morning ('awakened' being far too ambitious a word to use here), Saoirse was in very good form: purry, relaxed and alert. And things got better ...

26.09.14 - OTJ Trial Day 1 - AMNS 6.2 (112) - PMNS - (assuming it was OK based on recent data - all timed feeds eaten).
    27.09.14 - OTJ Trial Day 2 - AMNS 5.3 (95) :shock:

(measured on Alphatrak)

Asking everyone to keep fingers and paws crossed for my little one. nailbite_smile

(Assuming the notation AMNS/PMNS is correct. Let me know if it should be something else.)

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: Saoirse - OTJ Trial Day 2 (anti-jinx, anti-jinx)

Usually we use ambg and pmbg (a.m. blood glucose & p.m. blood glucose) But I understood yours just fine.

Mel and The Fur Gang

3. Critter Mom

Thanks Mel. Will use that notation for future posts.

Hoping all is well in your wee corner of the world today. :smile:

I'm trying to give Saoirse's ears a bit of a rest over the weekend, so I'm only going to do morning and evening checks.

Are there any recommended techniques for catching possible peaks in BG during an OTJ trial? Or is it OK to do random spot-checks during the day?

4. Critter Mom

The trepidation while waiting for the meter to register ... nailbite_smile

26.09.14 - OTJ Trial Day 1
    AMBG - 6.2 / 112
    PMBG - ???? (assuming BG was OK based on recent data - all timed feeds eaten).

27.09.14 - OTJ Trial Day 2
    AMBG - 5.3 / 95
    PMBG - 6.4 / 115 (Both measurements taken 2 hours after previous feed).

(Measured on Alphatrak.)

5. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

Fantastic!!! That's so true, the trepidation waiting for that beep & # to appear.

6. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

that's great Aine. dancing_cat dancing_cat flip_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Top of the Morning to you Hon,

Sorry I wasn't around much yesterday, but as you can see from our condo my lass decided to take me for a merry ride and all night pajama party the night after you lass. I told her that next time both young ladies decide on a moonlight picnic in the heather they better pick the same night. ohmygod_smile :lol: :lol:

Miss Saoirse is looking lovely so far on her OTJ trial. :thumbup dancing_cat dancing_cat

Still exhausted Mel and the Fur Gang

8. Critter Mom

Re: Saoirse - OTJ Trial Day 3 - GI Problems Again

28.09.14 - OTJ Trial Day 3
    AMBG - 4.8 / 86 (3½ hrs after food - 2 overnight timed feeds uneaten. :sad: )

(Measured on Alphatrak.)[/quote]

BG's ok, but not so much Saoirse's clinical signs.

------

From Saoirse's daily detailed log:

OTJ TRIAL - Day 3
    05:15 Famotidine 2.5mg, 06:50 Ondans 2mg, Cypr sliver. 15:37 Cypr 1/4 tablet.

AMBG 3½ hrs after prev feed. (2 timed feeds uneaten despite normal meds being in place.)

Late PM /Early AM Period: Marked increase in clinical signs of nausea. Poorer response to normally highly effective medication doses.
    Seems to be triggered by cessation of insulin treatment. (Same thing happened when Caninsulin treatment stopped.) Saoirse is subdued/depressed, withdrawn and somewhat lethargic looking. Also exhibiting hIding behaviour. Coat not quite as soft. Some sort of withdrawal syndrome?

------

From my research there is some connection between BG levels, insulin, histamine and gastric acid secretion. Saoirse is reacting to cessation of Lantus treatment in exactly the same way she reacted to cessation of Caninsulin . (LIsa's Tisha had the same problem, too.) Going to open a thread on TR forum to ask about this to see if others have been through this and have found a solution. I hope this is a transitional problem. I am determined that Saoirse will not go through what she went through after stopping Caninsulin.

9. aochoa

aochoa Member

This is great news!!!!

we are on our 3rd day OTJ tiral too!! Let's do this together and throw a party!

Crossing paws and fingers for you and Saoirse!

10. Critter Mom

Hey Ana,

Hope you have more fingernails left than I have.. ;-)

Fingers and paws a-crossed in the Shire for you and Bruno! cat_pet_icon

11. Critter Mom

Mel!!! 34!!!!! :shock:

You must be banjaxed.

If they do, then hold the patience pants; heavy on the brown trousers. ;-)

Sending special restorative hugs --------------------> :YMHUG:

12. Critter Mom

Re: Saoirse - OTJ Trial Day 3 - GI Problems Again

28.09.14 - OTJ Trial Day 3

AMBG - 4.8 / 86 (3½ hrs after food - 2 overnight timed feeds uneaten. :sad: )
    PMBG - 6.0 / 108 (1 hr after food)

(Measured on Alphatrak.)

Gave Saoirse a full dose of cyproheptadine (1/4 tablet) and her ondansetron (2mg). The cyproheptadine really kicked in about half an hour ago and she has perked up a bit. :smile:

Wish I could get to the bottom of this nausea/insulin problem. :YMSIGH:

13. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Do you think she is in pain with her pancreas still? When remi was unwell with pancreatitis he would sit with his feet tucked up under him instead of out front and would also sit in other positions in the house from normal. It was very hard to gage. He would also moan very slightly when I picked him.

I found that making sure he was always very hydrated helped and for me that meant adding water to his food and also syringing water into his mouth (about four times a day some when he got his meds). I still do this. When he was very bad he also had twice of three daily injections of buprenex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.