? Sassy PSPM 375 didn't eat Should I give shot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michsassy, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Sassy been eating small meals throughout day. Her shot time is 9 pm. I tried feeding her rabbit pate after the test. she is not eating. open FF can sniffs and walks away. Drank water. She nibbled few bites as late at 7 pm. doesn't seem to have appetite. Yesterday eating pretty well.
    Still dealing with diarrhea.
    Should I still give shot?
    I am so worried.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'll tag @Deb & Wink for you

Michsassy likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you think Sassy will eat in the next couple hours before the Lantus onsets? You can always give at least a 1/2 dose - not all the injected insulin goes to combat the carbs in meals. Cats undergoing anesthaesia who cannot eat, still get half dose. And since you've been seeing some ketones, I would definitely give the dose, probably the full dose, since she's so high now.

Hmm, I see you are giving different doses at night that during the day. Here we find that giving the same dose AM and PM is best.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

[
    Thanks Wendy, I hope she comes back on :cat:

5. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

I gave her the shot. I have a slight doubt it didn’t go in And lo and behold she just ate, not a lot, but a good few bites. I gave two units. I know either you or someone else on forum said same am and pm. My vet said 1 unit at night, but I understand your logic.
    When should I text her this evening? How long after the shot at 10:00 pm?
    Thank you for your reply

6. Wendy&Neko

Great, glad she ate! Please update the spreadsheet. I would start with a +2 test. If it's quite a bit lower than the preshot number, you may have to do some later tests.

Michsassy likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. I think several of us said to give the same dose day and night because Lantus likes consistency. Others here have been given advice like you were given and ha e found our way helps regulate. I’d get a +2 and leave food out or encourage him to eat more in an hour. FD you get cerenia?

Michsassy and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Wendy how many units do you think she should give for both cycles
    I see she said the vet told her to give 1 unit at night
    @Wendy&Neko

9. Wendy&Neko

1.25 units was not enough insulin, an increase to 1.5 was warranted. There hasn't been enough data to say how the 2 day/1.25 at night has been doing. Plus the inconsistent dosing is going to produce odd numbers anyway.

Here is the link to the last post where dosing was discussed. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/amps-354-did-not-eat-too-much.231941/ Having those links included allows us to easily go back and see what was said previously.

Diane Tyler's Mom and Michsassy like this.
  10. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

no cerenia. I will call vet in am and get cerenia. She was eating yesterday and nibbling all day.
    I will do a +2 test and leave food out.
    Yes, will do.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

If possible you need to be testing more during the night cycle, at least get a +6, set an alarm if you have to.
    If you can't , do it on the weekends, there isn't enough data for the night cycle,
    With more data members here will be able to give you more advice about doses :cat:

tiffmaxee likes this.
  12. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

13. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

She just threw up a good two portions of her food. And she has a little blood with mucous in her poop. I am knowing in the back of my head this is not good.

14. Wendy&Neko

When you feed again, just do a small amount, then wait another 20 minutes or so. Slow and steady on her GI system. Glad you're going to call the vet.:bighug:

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

I hope the vet can do something for Sassy, poor baby, I hope she'll feel better soon :bighug:

16. Michsassy

Michsassy Member

Sassy just went downstairs ate small amount and drank water . She tested 301 +2 at 12:10 am 7/10/2020. I have set alarm to test at 4:00 am

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Diane Tyler's Mom

That's good :cat: Get some rest