Scary number night! Need advice

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Mom2SweetPea, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

So last night Sweet Pea got her insulin a little late (45 minutes). I use an Alphatrak 2 but almost everyone here uses the human meter, so I bought a relion micro and started using both a couple days ago. Since I have been using Alphatrak from the beginning, I was using that as "primary." Last night at + 4 I got an 87 on Alphatrak and 35 on Relion!! I am still shaking from the fear. I gave some high carb treats and a tiny bit of karo, and her numbers slowly came back up. I am terrified what today will bring! She barely ate any food this morning, so now I'm really scared to give her a shot. I called the vet for dosing advice, but they haven't called back yet, and it's time to give her shot. Her new low carb food (young again zero carb) is really making a difference, so I'm thinking maybe a lower dose? So scared!

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the Vetsulin so I can't speak to the dosage or rate of increase. I wanted to talk about her appetite and feeding. I'm wondering if her tummy is upset due to the change to YA from what she had been eating. Even if she likes it, her tummy may need some time to adjust. I've just transitioned my kibble addict to all wet and it has really been a struggle. A few weeks ago he had some GI issues, low appetite, refused the dry and ate very little of the wet. His numbers dropped temporarily due to not eating properly. I was careful to take PS tests and did not shoot at all if his PS numbers were under 250. Looks like your PS numbers are mostly over 400 but go low quickly. You may be experiencing some bounce. I'll let the more experienced among us weigh in on that.

3. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I do think there is some adjusting going on with the new food. I think that is definitely affecting her appetite. Trying to find a balance between free feeding and feeding at only shot times. It's all trial and error, but I think I'm learning more and more as the days progress. Vet agreed with lowering the dose to 1 u, so that is what I'm doing now.

4. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I fed Truffle ya in between meals. A v small amount. My other cats were fine but it made Truffles have v runny poo. He’s fine now I’ve stopped it. I just give extra wet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.