Sept 6 - Charlie - amps 18 (2 units), +2 16.2, +4 16.6, +6 14.2, +8 14.7

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah Gamm, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Charlie was diagnosed on Sept 1. I immediately changed him from Hill’s c/d (dry) (Carbs 40%+) to Hill’s m/d (dry) (carbs 15%)

I’ve decided to switch him to Dr Elsey’s now instead of seeing how he is after the first week of injections.

If he’s still around 15, should I give him 1 unit instead of 2 at his 9pm injection?

I think with the switch to Dr Elsey’s I’m going to try 1 unit am and pm.

(He’s currently on Hill’s M/D (dry), which is 15% carbs)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10HhU24iVIYtPcCWP2nAyfVv447nQp7o_s6WQsg2yk5M/edit#gid=5

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Did you post an intro in the main health Forum? It looks like you are not
    using our spreadsheet.

3. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I downloaded the spreadsheet from this forum. I just modified the headers a bit with the time instead of just the +1, +2, etc)

4. tiffmaxee

Got it. I can’t access the US numbers. We ask that you start with an intro on the main health and then come here.

Sarah Gamm likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Did your vet recommend starting at 2U? That's higher than we usually recommend.

The spreadsheet template you're using is from a Facebook group that pirated it from us, added a bunch of stuff to it and now it crashes on a lot of us if we're using our phones. It also doesn't automatically convert your "World" numbers to the US numbers (The US still uses mg/dL instead of mmol/L)

Since your spreadsheet is still fairly new, it would be great if you could transfer the numbers you have onto ours so it would do the automatic conversions for us silly Americans as well as not cause some people's phones to crash when they're trying to help you.

Here are the original instructions

Sarah Gamm and tiffmaxee like this.
  6. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I updated the link to my spreadsheet to the one in the forum. It was continually crashing on my phone so maybe it will work now

my vet recommended 2 units. He was initially at 32. When I went it to learn how to inject him, he was 26 and he confirmed 2 units. But I’ve since changed his food from approx 40% carb to less than 5% carb (Dr Elsey’s) so I think I might go to 1 unit...

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Much better, thank you!

I think you could stick with the 2U for now since you've already started and he's running that high. If it's too much for him, we'll know because he'll drop too low and earn a reduction!

If your gut tells you to drop back to 1U, that's fine too. We can always take him up if we need to!

Getting a +2 can be really helpful .....it can sometimes act like a crystal ball in predicting what the rest of the cycle is going to be like

8. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I went with 1 unit for tonight. I'll check +2 and prob +6. I just really worry about a hypo scenario. I'd rather do 1U and then step up if I need it.

I know changing his food should have happened BEFORE insulin to see what that did, so I'm doing it a little backwards.

tiffmaxee and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  9. tiffmaxee

I can see the spreadsheet now and it’s the right one.

Sarah Gamm likes this.
  10. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

We started at 26.9 this morning and now at +5, he’s down to 12.8.

Is that normal to dip that much? I guess I don’t know when I should be considering lowering his dose. Or just stick with the 2 units for at least a week like the vet suggested.

11. tiffmaxee

It’s supposed to come down around mid cycle. That’s not a low BG. Normal on a human meter is roughly 50-120 for a non diabetic cat. If a drop under 50 at any point if you choose TR or 90 with SLGS you would reduce at the next cycle and that would bd your new dose. Have you had a chance to read the methods we use? Please add what foods you are feeding to your signature.

12. tiffmaxee

Today is 9/7. Please start a new thread each day.

Sarah Gamm likes this.
  13. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I have read some of the sticky posts, but I didn’t see one about adjusting doses. I was 1am so I may have missed it when I was reading through

14. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Ok, if I have more questions I will

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

We like questions. It’s just lists get long and get missed. Thanks.

Sarah Gamm likes this.
  16. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Waving at you from BC. :)

Another favour to ask when you start a new post - is to use the blood sugar numbers as they are in mg/dl from the US tab, in both posts and headings to posts. The US hasn't quite made the great leap forward to metric as the rest of the world uses it. However, this message board is hosted in the US, and the majority of users are from the US. And most important, you'll get more help if you "talk" in their numbers. I've become quite bilingual myself. :smuggrin:

Here is the Sticky Note on dosing methods that talks about increases/decreases the way that we do them here. You'll note there are two dosing methods - since you are feeding dry food, you have to use the Start Low Go Slow method.