Shadow on Caninsulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CLAIRE MARSHALL, Feb 25, 2022.

1. CLAIRE MARSHALL

CLAIRE MARSHALL Member

So my 11 year old Shadow was diagnosed on the 13th October last year.

They put him on 2 units twice daily to start with.

By the 9th November, I had a phone call to say they wanted to increase to 3 units twice daily.

I am now onto my second vets.

This current vet, and my old one, only rely on fructosamine blood testing, both vets refuse point blank to accept home testing.

I decided to lower Shadow's dose down gradulaly.

I blood test him at home, using both a human meter and just recently an animal one called Cera Pet.

He is currently on 1.5 units twice daily as from 3 days ago.

I know it takes around 7 days for the new dose to level out.

Previous fructosamine levels were 10th January 402.6, then just recently a few weeks ago 316.

He is being fed twice daily, Nature's Menu or Nature's Variety wet food 0 carb only.

Am I doing the right thing by gradualy lowering his dose down by .5 units each time so it doesn't bounce!?

Thanks xx

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Claire , welcome can you please copy your post and move it over to the Feline Health Board
    The Caninsulin board doesn't get much action,
    When you post this on the other board please tell us about Shadow by creating your signature
    I'll give you the link
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet, if you need help setting it up just ask, we have a wonderful member that would be glad to do it for you
    Can I ask where you live
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Have you read
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.231587/

Are you feeding Shadow then waiting 30 minutes then give the insulin
    We feed our cats more than twice a day, the bigger meals at AMPS ( AM Pre Shot)
    Same with PMPS
    We feed smaller meals during each 12 hour cycle, it's easier on the pancreas
    I'm glad you are home testing ,most of us human meters that's what our numbers are based on
    We adjust the dose by how low Shadows BG is dropping, not the Pre Shots
    We need to see the tests you already have in order for the members to give you advice
    I'm going to tag Bhooma @Bandit's Mom to set up the SS for you
    She will send you a private message , look for it up top where it says inbox

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    CLAIRE MARSHALL likes this.
  4. CLAIRE MARSHALL

CLAIRE MARSHALL Member

How do I upload the spreadsheet once completed?