? Should I dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura Martelle-Miller, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Laura Martelle-Miller

Laura Martelle-Miller New Member

Ember was at 119 this morning pre-meal and now she is at 155 pre-meal. Should I dose her a shaved .5 after she eats? I think I would feel more comfortable testing her maybe an hour after she eats before dosing.

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

3. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

If my spreadsheet looked like yours, with it's very limited data, I would skip. Since you're SLGS, protocol says skip if reading is under 150, which you're not at, but you're not missing by much. If you had more data maybe, but I don't think you've been doing this quite long enough to have a good idea on what your baby does yet.

Laura Martelle-Miller likes this.
  4. Laura Martelle-Miller

Yes, I just started testing on July 24th. Also, she still has not eaten her food after I put it down 40 mins ago.

5. Laura Martelle-Miller

I'm not sure what bump means.

6. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

While eating immediately before the shot isn't as critical, she just needs food prior to when the insulin starts taking effect, generally somewhere around 4-6 hours after the shot. However, again, with as slim of data as you have, no shot if it were me.

Take this time to grab a few extra tests though if you can, because data on what happens when she doesn't get a shot at that level is just as important as if you gave her a shot. Try for what would be a typical +4/5/before bed and closer to +9/10. If you can grab a test about 1 hour after she eats, that would be good info just to see how far up eating drives her numbers.

7. Laura Martelle-Miller

Another question. If I take an AMPS reading at 6:30 and then take another at 8, do I round up and post it on the +2?

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

AMPS is the test before you shoot. If you take another test 1.5 hours later, you can call it the +1.5. I rounded up or done most of the in between times. You can post it on the +1 as a xx@+1.5. Sometimes, when kitty is low, we'll be testing 20-30 minute apart, so you'll need that distinction.

A little housekeeping note for you, we prefer that people have just one post per day there. There are lots of kitties, so we ask that you follow a few guidelines to help keep track of cats and how they are doing today. When we are busy, emergencies from a couple days ago aren't so interesting. :) If you take a look at the info post at the top of this forum called PSA - Please Read, you'll see those guidelines.