Should I reduce dose - Phoenix dropped to 44

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix is on SLGS. I increased his insulin to 8.5 units yesterday. Phoenix's numbers have always risen after eating and having his morning insulin injection. This morning his AMPS was 119. I gave him his insulin injection. Now, it is an hour later and Phoenix's BG has dropped to 105.

This scares me as he has always risen after eating. Is this his insulin depot causing this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix is eating great and I can monitor him hourly until I feel it is safe to stop. It is now +2 and his BG has risen from 105 to 113. In a way , I was relieved to see a slight rise. On the other hand, I want it to stay lower than 120.

I noticed your cat's name is Bandit. My first cat back in 1970 was named Bandit also. He lived to be 22 years old. Let's hope your Bandit has a long life like my Bandit had !!

4. Bandit's Mom

He is flat, that's good. Maybe another test at +4? Does he have set feeding times?

Thank you! :bighug: I hope so too!

5. Scdal

Scdal Member

Yes, Phoenix eats 3 meals a day when I eat. 8 a.m. preshot 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. preshot.
    I will check him again at +3. I am too nervous to wait until +4.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix is now 98 at +3.

7. Bandit's Mom

78 at +4, I see. You might want to give him a little food to keep him surfing. Break up the 1pm meal and feed a little of it now.

8. Scdal

Scdal Member

I don't know how to attach this to my previous thread this morning. I increased his insulin to 8.5 units yesterday. Today AMPS was 119 at +1 105 +2 113. +3 98 +4 78. +5. 44.
    I just fed him his lunch but I am scared. Should I give him some carbs or sugar. Please help!!

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Give him some high carb food. What is the highest that you have? Add some honey or karro syrup. Then test in 20 minutes.

10. tiffmaxee

I don’t see another test.

11. Scdal

Scdal Member

I just tested. He is up to 77. Will test again in 20 minutes. If he keeps climbing, I will take off the 911.

12. tiffmaxee

You didn’t do it as a prefix so looks like nobody else caught it.

13. Scdal

Scdal Member

He has climbed to 115. Could someone remove the 911. I don't know how. Thank you

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To edit your subject title, go to the top right of your first post. There is a drop down called "Thread Tools". Click on the downward arrow beside it and a menu show. Select Edit Title and a pop up will appear that allows you to edit the Subject Title. I have done it for you. Only moderators and you can edit the title, so best to learn how to do it yourself.

I have also combined your two posts from today. There are a large number of kitties here, so we ask that you just post once per day. You can edit the subject title if you have a new question or concern.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you, Wendy

16. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Yes you want to reduce the dose. I think you’ll want to reduce by .5U given Phoenix’s relatively high dose but let’s see what others say.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Serryn that he needs a reduction but he wasn’t doing that fantastic on 8u. He was doing “ok”. Even though we would normally reduce by 0.5u for a cat that is high dose, and I’m also considering that you are doing SLGS, I still would try 8.25u as long as you can monitor him.

Remember, though, that he has a very large depot so you might see some lower numbers again in the next few cycles. If you would prefer to err on the side of conservative, which is fine, then reducing to 8u is totally good, too. You can always go back up in dose.

18. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you, I am going to go back to 8 units for a few days even though I agree that he wasn't doing great on 8 units. My needles only mark whole units. I need to get some that have one half unit markings. I think that might solve the problem now he is getting close to a maintenance dose. Thanks again for your help. Today was scary when he dropped so low.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  19. tiffmaxee

20. Scdal

Scdal Member

I looked at calipers online. I think I would have a hard time using them. The video shows that you have to measure with a magnifying glass. I already wear bifocals. I have to take them off to draw up the syringe with his insulin. I think I would have an extremely hard time using the calipers.

21. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I don't wear glasses but I use these to see when dosing insulin - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZ6BB9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, the caliper video uses a light box - it's definitely not necessary but helps - however, you don't need a light box if you have a tablet of some sort - I use an iPad and run a "flashlight" app and turn off the lights - so my ipad shows a white screen (which acts as my "light box"). Just a thought.

I am a fan of calipers even though I find them annoying :cat: my doses are much more consistent - you don't notice how wonky syringe lines are until you really view them up close.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  22. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I love that link Susanne! :p Looks really high tech! :cool:

JaxBenji likes this.