Should I shoot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy Jones, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Hi, Tiger BG is 217 this morning. He gets 2.5 BID. Should I reduce that amount ir skip?

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you able to monitor today and do you have HC food and plenty of supplies?

3. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

My daughter comes and checks after about 8 hours but she can't check often. I have work. His food is out all day

4. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

It's low carb food though.

5. carfurby (GA)

Do you have any higher carb food you can leave out?

6. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

No. I have some of that low carb dry that another cat gets. That might raise his BG. Id have to lock him in a room though so the others don't eat it which would stress him out. I guess I'll just skip to be safe.

7. carfurby (GA)

You can shoot a reduced dose since he will have food out and your daughter can check later. I'd at least shoot 2.0 units so he doesn't lose momentum.

8. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Thank you

9. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

I had to leave for work so I didn't shoot but what number should I reduce and not shoot below?

10. carfurby (GA)

Normally you can safely shoot a number in the low 200s, but since you don't have a lot of data for shooting that low right now, and he dipped down on the PM cycle of the 18th, I didn't think it was a good idea for you to shoot the full dose this morning since you could not monitor. Until you get more experience you should post and ask about shooting if you see a number below 250. You will eventually be able to shoot those kind of numbers and have an idea of what Tiger will do. The idea is to work you way to shooting lower numbers so Tiger will get used to them and stay in better numbers. Until then it's okay to skip if you need to for safety reasons. Safety comes first.

11. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Ok thank you! I thought about reducing but since I had to leave I was scared after his dip the other day.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are following SLGS, you should reduce the dose to 2.25 units because of the 89 you got the night of the 18th. Nice to see Tiger getting into some nicer blood sugar numbers.

Since you skipped today, could you put either "Skip" or "NS" for no shot, in the units cell of the spreadsheet. That way we know you deliberately skipped instead of forget to enter the data.

For next time Tiger gives you a lower number at preshot, but still over 200, you should be able to give his regular dose, provided you can leave food out for him to eat. If you cannot monitor, over 200 you are usually good to give at least a slightly reduced dose.

With a lower (not low) number for AMPS, it would have been interesting to see that before bed test last night to see if he went lower. Regardless, you should reduce his dose.

A couple housekeeping notes. Here is the link to your previous post here: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/is-this-normal.232127/ We ask that you always include the link so it's easy for anyone helping you to go back and see the history. And take of the read of this PSA Note - due to the number of people posting on this forum, we like to see subject titles in a standard format, so we can help you better.

13. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Thank you. Sorry I keep forgetting about posting the links and how you want the subject line to read. Forums like this are completely foreign to me and I'm slow to learn new tricks. Lol