? Stalling, quick advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TankNRK, Jan 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Hi everyone! Been stalling as long as I can before I leave for work and just decided to feed. Have 20 mins to decide if we shoot (Vetsulin) and just wanted to double check that his normal .75u will be safe since I will be gone until his +9.

We got a 198, +20mins was 196. Just want to shoot safely and I'm unsure if a dose reduction is necessary before work.

He will have a snack at +3 and +5 just a couple bites of FF.

Thanks!

2. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Well... Just went ahead and gave .75u, fingers crossed! Just guessed that I should try to hold this same dose for a curve tomorrow and not rock the boat and lower the dosage, hoping that was the best move. Leaving food for him at +4 and +5 today in case he drops too low.....

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How are things going with Lando?

TankNRK likes this.
  4. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

He's doing well, stalling again this morning! Both tests were 164 and 167 so I fed him and now I'm trying to decide how much to give. This always happens in the AM these days!

Yesterday morning we actually skipped the shot which was exciting.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I see you reduced the dose to 0.25 U this morning. I would try staying with 0.25 units and seeing if that lets you shoot both cycles. I will tag @FrostD about the dose as she has used Vetsulin.

TankNRK likes this.
  6. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Sounds good! He's always higher for the evening shot, but the mornings have been hit and miss lately I wanted to play it safe with the morning shot since I'll be at work and won't be able to monitor today. :)

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Agree. It would also be helpful if you could get some tests after PM+6...he may need some extra food then to keep from dropping too much/help even out the cycles

TankNRK likes this.
  8. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Sometimes I leave food for him overnight but I'm usually asleep by +4 most nights for PM, as I work really early shifts, but I can probably get it Monday night as I'm off Tuesday! Just did PMPS test... 185!!! I guess I'll try .25 again and see how we do this evening! :,) GO LANDO GO!

FrostD likes this.
  9. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

PMPS was 185... Gave him .25u again tonight like this AM and just checked him at +3.75 (almost+4) and he's at 67! What the Hell! Lol!

10. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Needless to say he's getting a little snackie before I head off to bed.
    Anytime he drops under 70 we reduce the dose but... What do I do in this instance? Lol

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would test again and make sure he is coming back up. Did you feed him so higher carb food when he dropped to 67? I would not go to bed before he is up over 100. …and past nadir
    It is still fairly early in the cycle.
    And then I would leave some food out for him.
    I will tag @FrostD about the next dose.

TankNRK likes this.
  12. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Sorry I went to bed last night and forgot to update!
    Yeah I fed him some low carb food and tested him at +15,+30,+1hr and got him back up to 98, and he was past his Nadir so I went ahead and went to bed :)

We're at 285 this morning I'm sure from that little drop last night haha.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you please update the SS with the BGs you just told me about in post 12? We need to be able to see you tested again and that he rose up safely. .
    Also it’s good to be aware that cats can wobble about with the Bg numbers after they have dropped low. They can appear to be on the rise again but when the high carb wears off they drop again. So it is a good idea to keep testing for 2 hours after you last gave any high carb food.

TankNRK likes this.
  14. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

Yes I will update the chart! I expected the wobbly wobble cause he's done this plenty of times lol... Thankfully I rose him up with low carb food first with a whole extra meal and once I saw he was safely rising at +30 and +1hr I wasn't too worried about him. One of the other members had told me when this happened last time since I rose him up with low carb food it was great I could safely know he wouldn't drop off since he was past nadir :)

15. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry I've had a heck of a week - I would not have increased as he's bouncing.

Id stick to the 0.25U. if he goes low again you'll have to reduce our of caution.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    TankNRK likes this.
  16. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

No worries FrostD I completely understand, his numbers have just been soooo strange it's been hectic for us trying to decide what to do. I was even checking my insulin wondering if it's losing potency (I don't think so as it's been less than 2 months and has stayed refrigerated) but I was wondering if he's even bouncing because it's lasted so long and the numbers just keep climbing higher, usually his bounces start clearing by now... I can run a full curve Tuesday and see exactly what's going on, I did .5 all day today and I'm gonna get a +5, I just haven't been able to check all week since I've been at work and couldn't run a curve. I haven't been consistent with dosing the last couple days and need to pick something and stick to it and put on my "patience pants" :,( I got too excited when I saw so many greens and jumped the gun when he started climbing. I'm waiting on response from my vet to switch his insulin to Glargine still, hopefully within the next couple weeks I'll have the ball rolling on that cause I think it's really time to make the switch.

17. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

I was struggling to tell if it was a bounce or not so I increased thinking it wasn't, I feel bad for doing so now. I'm still new and learning so trying not to beat myself up about it. It felt like .25 was so low and I furshot and just didn't feel confident in the dose, when I really should have stuck to it.

FrostD likes this.
  18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No worries. He's ok, and as long as you test like you have you'll hopefully catch a potential problem before hypo territory. Fingers crossed on the glargine!

Usually when it loses potency - slowly over a week or a month numbers don't come down as much after a shot.

TankNRK likes this.
  19. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

As always I'm sorry for being brief, I feel bad when replies feel curt even though I don't intend them that way

TankNRK likes this.
  20. TankNRK

TankNRK Member

I hope your week gets better for you, whatever you have going on <3 genuinely love you all for all you do and care for you even though you're just names on a screen.

I'll keep sticking with it. Was struggling telling if numbers were even moving as I had 2 potential furshots with the low dose, and with such high preshots and such a low dosage when I was sure I got the insulin in.

Thank you all for being here for us and everyone. I'll put on my patience pants and stick to a dose and trust your guidance! Lando is sending you kitty kisses for a better day <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.