started a glucose curve as directed by dr. and his numbers are super low!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lupe & Patch, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Lupe & Patch

Lupe & Patch New Member

- Patch was in remission for almost a year. Took him for his annual check up and his bloodwork showed he was at 441. Dr. prescribed 1 unit of prozinc.
    - At the same time he had a pretty bad tooth infection and had to have an urgent oral surgery. He had two molars extracted. That was a week ago.
    - Today I started the glucose curve at home as directed by my dr. and I think I messed up giving him insulin in the first place.

- 7AM his number was 92 with the alphatrak2 AND I gave him 1 unit if Prozinc.
    - 9AM number is 40
    - 11AM number is 29

I have never seen a number that low! Could it be he just doesn't need insulin at all? I gave him some food and he seems "normal". He's awake and walking around. Could he go lower?? I'm scared that something bad might happen to him

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

29 is really low so it’s time to intervene if you haven’t already. Have you given him honey or karo syrup? @FrostD

I would actually recommend posting on the main forum with the 911 prefix.

3. Lupe & Patch

Lupe & Patch New Member

i'm gonna go ahead and give him honey right now. i have been watching him and he seems ok. walking around and following me.

will his numbers go even lower? i know the doctor said prozinc stays in his system for up to 12hrs

4. Lupe & Patch

Lupe & Patch New Member

I gave him honey and fancy feast and I'm waiting to test him in about an hour. He seems ok so far

5. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Give him some honey and check again in 15 minutes. He may go lower and 29 is already really low. I’m going to tag some others for some help. @JanetNJ @Chris & China (GA)

6. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

If he doesn’t come up and no one else comes in with advice you may want to consider taking him to the vet.

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get the tag!

What's he at now? Will check main forum...

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

So without an up to date spreadsheet I can't give any further advice beyond what Hilary said. While under 60 on AT keep giving honey and high carb (16% and higher, in this case 20%+ would be best) food while testing every 15 mins. Once he's in the 60-68 range, 1-2 tap high carb food but no honey, test every 30 mins. 69-80 do 1 tsp MC (11-15%).

If you cannot get him above 60 within 15-30 mins you need to take him in, and continue to give honey on the ride.

As for dose, without data or more info about diet, all I can say is I would not shoot unless he's 200 or higher, and I would at least temporarily reduce to 0.5U max. I cannot make any concrete recommendations

9. Lupe & Patch

Lupe & Patch New Member

He's 193!
    I gave him a bit of fancy feast tuna an hr ago and I think that also helped along with the honey. What a rollercoaster!
    Yeah I will definitely reduce to .5U but I will for sure test him before his 7PM shot and if he's under 200 I won't give him a shot

FrostD likes this.
  10. Lupe & Patch

Lupe & Patch New Member

Could it be that his tooth infection is what caused his diabetes to come back? I think he was dealing with it for a while, and I just didn't notice until it was pretty bad. He had an abscess on his cheek that ruptured. Maybe all he needs is just a bit of insulin from now on

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Very possible!